Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 6 April 2020

Can you hear what I hear?

Hi everyone, how are you all going with your self-isolation and social distancing? 
It seems to be working well here in Western Australia, with most people complying, so our numbers of infections are only slowly rising. And those who are infected have mostly come from cruise ships. 


What have you been doing to keep active while social distancing? I showed you my sanctuary backyard patio garden a couple of weeks ago. I am still in plaster with my leg up so for me social distancing is easy. But I need to keep occupied too. So I have been reading, doing my photo-a-day project, doing some light arm exercises with light weights, practising castanets, doodling, keeping in touch with friends and groups through social media, and watching a movie in the afternoon with my son. 

Years ago when I went to a writing course for a few weeks we were asked to sit quietly and write down the sounds we heard. So I did this last Tuesday on my patio. Here is my list

light-shadow patterns on my patio
a car starting
a bird chirping
the crack of the roof expanding in the heat 
the washing machine
a truck on the highway
a shed door banging
a light aircraft flying overhead
numerous birds
traffic in the far distance on the highway
crows cawing
buzzing sounds (oops...no that is just my tinnitus) 
crack of the downpipes expanding in the heat
a motorbike revving
a dog barking
the beep of a truck reversing
someone chopping wood
our neighbours' voices
our neighbours' children playing totem tennis
children laughing next door
my husband talking to our son inside
a vacuum cleaner at the house of our back neighbour
our washing machine spinning out and then the beep to say it's finished
the preceding "ding-dong" of an announcement on the PA up at the school
the school siren for play time
a magpie call (I wish I could identify all the bird calls)
budgies chattering
palm leaves rustling in the light breeze
the sound of the washing trolley wheels on the back brick path
darts hitting the dart board
my husband yawning

I wonder what your list would look like? Perhaps you would like to give it a go. 

Here is my weekly collage for my photo-a-day project


Monday 30 March 2020 - remember those quinces growing on our tree? - here they are - delicious!
Cooked in the oven with brown sugar, lemon & orange juice and zest and a cinnamon stick. 


 Tuesday 31 March 2020 - there's a thing going around about putting teddy bears in your front window for kids to go on a teddy bear hunt in their cars. Here are mine - too small and far away from the road to be seen, but they are there. 


 Wednesday 1 April 2020 - my husband and elder son (only 2 people not from the same household allowed out together) went up to the bush to get firewood. My younger son helped unload it from the trailer into the wood shed when they got back. We will be warm this winter.

Thursday 2 April 2020 - Just a little decoration in my garden 


Friday 3 April 2020 - on Friday we bought a takeaway coffee from a friend's cafe and drove down to the beach - it was so lovely to get out
 

Saturday 4 April 2020 - just a little doodling with an ink pen over a not so good eco-print leaf print


 Sunday 5 April 2020 - a dried native seed pod 


So that is me for this week. How have you been going?  Perhaps you would like to tell us in your comments. Stay safe everyone, and have a good week. There are many positives from being still, shutting down the constant rush of life, getting back to basics and enjoying precious time with our families. 

Here is a little laugh from the MASH crew and social distancing



Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Stay safe.


I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.
 

20 comments:

  1. Thanks Jill for sharing your week at home. We stay home too (now on day 23), I am the only person who goes in to buy groceries for the family and I am now washing everything that I buy, something I haven't done before last week. I do go out to walk but I am choosing streets without sidewalks and with large lots that have one house, so a block would have about 3 houses. I only see one person walking and we both stay on opposite sides of the road. Makes me feel safer.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is the grocery shopper whilst I am recovering from my illness. I have thought we should wash everything that comes home.

      Delete
  2. Hope you getting better with your leg!? It needs calm and of cours a great lot of patience - don't my thing, by the way. Its easy to pray patience but difficult for the patient.

    Your garden and backstage is fine in this time...

    Get healthy. Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great posting and the list of what people perceive if you pay attention to it. The drawing of the leaves is beautiful, I like that.
    I am listening to music right now and that is good for my soul and was shopping on the bike I enjoyed the sun and visited the beach where there were no people.
    Get well soon for your legs!
    Take care of yourself
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am glad you are doing well there. Your images and mosaic are lovely. The light/shadow shot is awesome. I wish I could sit at the beach right now, it is so peaceful. Take care & stay safe! Wishing you a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to walking by the water again when I get out of this moon-boot! Take care.

      Delete
  5. Doodle? Honey that's art. I love the teddy bear picture. People are not listening very well here, sadly and our numbers are growing in an alarming rate. I am staying home.
    I hear the fan, birds, my husband's mouse clicking which is driving me nuts LOL, my cat purring and my typing.
    Be safe.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you so much for your comment on my "doodle"! :)
      Mostly in Australia people are heading the "stay at home" and it is really helping to keep our numbers of infections down. Stay safe.

      Delete
  6. You are making a week at home a treat! Have never tasted quices - are they like apple? Love the decoration in your yard - tiles? They fit so well together. Like the teddybear thin going around! Nice the bush provides wood for winter! Your leaf print is beautiful and your last image with the sun rays falling on certain parts of your yard is so beautiful and exudes intimacy. Hope some other bloggers come visit you, to see that one can have rest and contentment in this global pandemic and trust that all will turn out okay! Have an inspirational week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't explain the taste of quince - nothing like apples - a bit like pear, maybe with a floral rose aroma....hard to explain..but exquisite!

      Delete
  7. Your leaves are very beautiful and I love those teddy bears in the windows. My list would be a lot shorter. We live in an over 55 community and it's VERY quiet! Lots of bird sound but not much else! Take care of yourself and stay healthy! We are both fine and the weather here is beautiful right now! Hugs from Florida, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah...just sit outside...and really listen....I am sure you will hear other things....

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your photo a day, it's a good idea and I might borrow it for next week as I am looking for something to photograph. I have put teddy bears in our window but there aren't many walkers around here any more or perhaps I just don't get up early enough. How are you getting along on your scooter thingy? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill - I love the idea of listening to the sounds around here. I always think we live in silence since we are in the woods, but I am sure the truth is different. We are coping pretty well with the isolation, but there are moments when I despair about how long this will last. I like the idea of the teddy bears (and I believe other communities are doing hearts), but we live out so far no one will see them. Maybe I should put something on our fence … Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my friend, and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your backyard looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before when I was in Bellingham to take care of my mother I was able to take writing and art classes at the local community college. Right now we are sheltering in what used to be her condo (it's our part-time US home now). I wish I could be taking a class right now, but like everything else the college is closed for the duration. It does make a good place to walk for exercise though with no students or staff around. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I read your list, I thought that would be such a great 'assignment' for home-schoolers.

    I'm delighted to read your post at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your listening journal mine would mostly be the bubbling sounds of the air con units and the traffic below - there is less traffic (and no traffic jams here in Bangkok) but everything is moving faster on the streets and is noisier! Love your photo a day Jill,
    I hope your leg is well on the mend.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  14. :-) "my husband yawning"

    I hear all the clocks ticking. My Dad, amongst other was a clock maker and I hated the sound as a kid. Now that he´s gone... I have a lot of clocks ticking.
    Time goes by too fast...
    Kids screaming. That I hear. No respect to others anymore. We live in a yard, so the houses triple the sound, you hear it whilst the TV is running and the doors are closed. Do I look forward to summer....

    Oh! I haven´t been driving a car for three years and I seriously have to "remember" where the steering wheel is and remind myself, IF I would drive, that the middle of the road has to be beside me.
    So much for driving so much in Australia!
    Last time I took a right turn and ended up on the wrong side of the road and didn´t realise until a car came up - luckily it was in the village.

    What I not hear anymore: honking.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.