Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 13 April 2020

Staying positive - celebrate - connect - grow

HI everyone. How are you all going? I hope you and your families are well and you are managing to stay positive in these uncertain worrying times. 

I think we all recognise the importance of mental health, especially now when we are not able to go about our daily lives and feel isolated. For me, particularly whilst I am locked down by a moon boot, my on-line social connections are really keeping me going. 

I was feeling down in the couple of days leading up to Easter and it was difficult to pull myself out of the doldrums. But it was amazing how a short drive in the country improved how I felt. We also had a morning-tea social distancing meet up with our immediate family at their semi rural bush block - it was so lovely to sit under the trees and chat even though we made sure we stayed apart. Things could be a lot worse, and I have so much to be grateful for.

In the beautiful Ferguson Valley only about 15 minutes drive from our home the vintage has finished and the grape vines are starting to pull on their autumn coats. 


We also had a "zoom" meet up with our extended family on Easter Sunday for the occasion of our great niece's third birthday.  (wow "Zoom" is an amazing facility).  It was wonderful to connect with our family in other parts of our state, where we can't travel to due to the Western Australian Government's internal border controls.

As well as Western Australia being cut off from the rest of Australia we now have internal border closures preventing us travelling out of our home region except for essential services or compassionate reasons. 
Police have set up check points along major roads and they will turn you back if they deem your travel is not essential. 
Whilst tough, this is really keeping down our cases of Covid. We live in the little dark green corner in the south west corner of Western Australia. Whilst we can travel within our own zone they are encouraging us not to do so. 

It is so important to stay active and keep connected.  Here is a slide from the Mental Health Commission, Gov of WA



Interestingly, my bookmark I am using at the moment from The WA Association for Mental Health last year. It says:
Celebrate - the positive things in your life, as well as the strengths and values that have helped you through more challenging times.
Connect - with others by paying attention to your close relationships or by reaching out and making new friends
Grow - by expanding your horizons and trying something new that creates meaning and purpose for you. 

Reach out and help others
See the funny side of life
Learn something new
Be a friend
Have an early night
Organise your day
Go for a walk
Eat healthy
Take time out
Ask for some help 

 Even in times of social distancing we can still learn new skills and make new connections. I am learning more about eco-printing and photography. 

Here is the continuation of my 2020 a photo a day project

Monday - 6 April 2020 - front door to the world



 Tuesday - 7 April 2020 - zebra stipes on my patio - in black and white


 Wednesday - 8 April 2020 - the super-moon through the trees - in black and white


 Thursday - 9 April 2020 - we took our morning tea and drove out along the estuary - in black and white


Friday - 10 April 2020 - sitting on my patio reading, trying to pick myself up out of my doldrums. Things could be a lot worse, and I have much to be grateful for.


Saturday -  11 April 2020 - fresh picked lilly-pillys from our front garden (a native plant, the early settlers used them to make jam and preserves - I've made the jam several times - delicious! You can read more here on my blog - Lilly Pilly Jam 


Sunday - 12 April 2020 - looking up at the trees at my son's block



I wanted to upload a beautiful version of Bolero - performed by University of Western Australian students. But it only seems to appear on Facebook - go here to see it - Bolero - University of WA  Inspired by the beautiful music being performed from balconies across Italy their Conservatorium of Music students and staff took to the balconies New Fortune Theatre to perform Bolero.

 And if you like music and singing a few bitter-sweet sad but uplifting movies I recommend:
Military wives - 2020
As it is in Heaven - 2004 - Swedish with English subtitles
Paradise Road - World War 2 - 1997

For those of you who celebrate Easter, I hope it has been a joyful one of being thankful. 
Here is a pic from a few years ago of the little cousins divvying up the Easter eggs after an Easter Egg hunt when we went camping.


Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you are well. What have you being doing to occupy yourself in these times of social distancing. Perhaps you would like to share in your comments. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Jill, what a great post and photos. I enjoyed the list of suggestions, celebrate, connect and grow. I have not used Zoom, but I have been hearing a lot of people using it lately. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lilly Pilly are a lovely addition to the collage, I love the burst of color. Never heard of them before.
    I had a rough week as well. I am determined this week to get myself together. Be more intentional with my days instead of wasting away time.
    We are under curfew and only essential workers are allowed out.I did have a zoom meeting with my Bible study gals this week and a zoom meeting with some InstaGram friends, that was fun and different. Much needed.
    Be safe
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is difficult to stay positive. I have now pulled myself out of the latest rutt, and hopefully moving forward. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Going on a short drive does wonders for me as well. It is great for your spirit and soul

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful uplifting post. These are stressful times worldwide and we have to do what we can. I am fortunate to be still employed and am working at home. I've enjoyed the time with the family. We still get out to go do things, as a family or individually and not other with others.
    Australia is doing a great job of flattening the curve. We are doing okay but not as good as we could have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - I think many of us are going through cycles of ups and downs. You have the added complication of the "boot". Thanks for your honesty and the practical suggestions. Your daily photos are illuminating - my favorite is the "zebra". I hope you can continue to find things that lift your spirit! Thanks for taking the time to link to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you're feeling a bit perkier Jill. And there's nothing like a short drive in the countryside to lift your spirits. I love the photos from your life this week - they are always inspirational, offering a sneak peak into your way of life and creativity. Keep well x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much like the zebra stripes photo and the last leaf photo in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far I've been able to stay positive, but hubby is another story! It will be nice when we can feel safe to resume leaving our homes.
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/04/more-from-archives-duke-chapel.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your capture of you reading a book with all the shadow lines - perfect, Jill -you are such a great photographer - great collage! Very smart to send out the mental health communication, because when you feel lost, you can just read it (when people are depressed it's hard for them to make plans, or to think of something that they just like to do). Am a retired psychologist, and am giving out these kind of suggestions when bloggers have a hard time. Great you could talk/see your family. We have done that now for more than 10 years with out son (via Skype) who has lived in China, then Holland, to keep connected. Keep up your spirits, Jill:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jess. It really is difficult to stay positive, and I know I will be more positive when I am out of this moonboot. Thankfully numbers of Covid stay very low in our area, and I hope they will stay low. Such an anxious time, but I hope there will be long term positives to come out of all this.

      Delete
  10. Difficult times but beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos and some very uplifting advice! I find a short drive around the area makes a big difference, too.

    I'm so happy that you joined us over at at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jill - we've been cut off from our kids and grandgirls by the zonal lockdown in WA - they're all in Perth while we're in Bunbury and it kills my heart to not be able to see them - especially over Easter. I had my doldrums moment around about Easter Sunday, then pulled up my socks and got on with things again. Life is pretty good despite all the restrictions and I'm grateful that it's impacting me and my family so minimally. Lovely that you got to see yours at a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt it over Easter even though I did see my kids. I am up and down at the moment. I feel so grateful that our Gov has put in hard rules and it is minimising the impact of the virus. Hopefully we won't get complacent and the minimal impact will continue.

      Delete
  13. I've had your post open for a few days now because I want to write some of the things down in my journal. I think it's so important to make our days count. I read early on...Redeem your time and took it to heart. I have some days when I don't feel very motivated but I am staying busy and getting out for hikes a little less often....but still getting out! Thanks for a thoughtful and encouraging post! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.