Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 23 October 2023

World Kangaroo Day - 24 October 2023

 Hi everyone. I hope you and yours are doing well. 

I learnt yesterday that it is World Kangaroo Day on Tuesday 24 October 2023. The first World Kangaroo Day was held in 2020. 

I know my overseas visitors enjoy seeing my kangaroo pics, especially when I randomly say I come across them when we are out bushwalking. 

Here is one we interrupted having his lunch at Carnarvon Gorge when we visited Queensland on the eastern side of Australia recently - so this would be the Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus)

This was a male - they are big - you wouldn't want to mess with one. They can be up to 1.5 metres (five foot) tall and weigh about 60kg (132 pounds). Lucky for us these kangaroos near the picnic area at Carnarvon Gorge are quite used to people - but you don't want to approach them - they are wild kangaroos and could be very dangerous if provoked.  


The one below here is the red kangaroo (Macropus rufus) They are the largest living marsupial. An adult male stands over 1.8m tall (5 ft 10 in) and can weigh up to 90kg (198 lb). Red kangaroos live throughout most of central mainland Australia, in areas with low rainfall, prefering open plains, grasslands and deserts. 

This one we saw in a wildlife park near Alice Springs in the Northern Territory, having a snooze in the shade. 


Here are some quick facts about kangaroos -

  • Kangaroos are the largest Marsupials on Earth.- Kangaroos belong to the mammal family  Macropodidae (meaning ‘big feet’).
  • There are about 60 species of kangaroos and wallabies
  • A group of kangaroos is called a mob.
  • Kangaroos' enlarged hind feet, powerful hind legs and strong tail help them hop up to 8 metres (26 foot) in one jump   These adaptations allow some species of kangaroo, such as red and grey kangaroos, reach speeds of over 48 km per hour (30 miles ph).
  • Kangaroos can suspend pregnancy - called emrouonic diapause - until the pouch Is vacant. Females can have up to 3 joeys at different stages of development at any one time. If a joey is lost, they can bring forward the next joey into the pouch without mating again. 
  • A kangaroos long feet and tail prevent them from walking backwards
  • They use their powerful tails as a fifth leg - if you cllick on this link you can see how kangaroos stand up on their tail when they are fighting - you might have heard of boxing kangaroos - echidnawalkabout.com.au/how-kangaroos-fight/
  • They sometimes drown their enemies.
  • It is believed that the name kangaroo comes from the Guugu Yimidhirr indigenous people sharing the word "gangurru" with Camptain James Cook when he landed in eastern Australia in 1770.

Below is a black footed (or black flanked) rock wallaby we saw during a Yardie Creek cruise in the Cape Range National Park in Western Australia.  This is a small and extremely agile marsupial that darts among rocky outcrops and caves in central and Western Australia.


And below is the Western Grey Kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus) that we see when we are bushwalking over here in the south of Western Australia. In the top two photos you can see joeys (the baby) looking out of the pouch.

The pic bottom right hand side is kangaroos we can see in paddocks not far from where we live - a great place to take overseas visitors to see kangaroos - they are wild living and come down to the paddocks from the bush to graze. You can see more on my blog post here - Paperbark cathedral - Leschenault Estuary
Another place to see them locally is at the Bunbury wildlife park where you can meet kangaroos close up. 

And some red kangaroos in the Western Australian Pilbara region


This photo taken by my husband we believe is the pretty-faced wallaby - also known as the whiptail wallaby ( Notamacropus parryi) We saw this one at Karumba up near the Gulf of Carpentaria in Queensland. Wallabies are much smaller than kangaroos, more suited to living in scrublands. Males weigh from 14 to 26 kg (31 to 57 lb) and stand at a height from 70 to 93 cm (28 to 37 in)

To read more interesting facts about kangaroos - click on the links below....

Goeco.org-10-kangaroo-facts-you-didnt-know/

Treehugger.com/kangaroo-facts

And learn more about World Kangaroo Day here -  - www.worldkangarooday.org/about


Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have enjoyed my post about kangaroos.  We certainly have some unusual animals in Australia. 

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

With so much blood-shed and heart-break happening in this troubled world. I hope you and your families stay safe. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
   

21 comments:

  1. Hello, Jill
    Awesome post and critter photos. I love the Kangaroos and the Wallaby, they are cute and fun. Great actions photos, it looks like they move fast. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great week! PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Kangaroo Day...never knew about it! But love seeing your photos! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was first I had heard of World Kangaroo Day too!

      Delete
  3. You wrote a good piece on kangaroos. I learnt a lot from your writing. I commonly spot the roos on the roadkills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, lots of road kill on the highways- so sad to see.

      Delete
  4. Jill, I've always been fascinated by kangaroos, so this post was a fabulous introduction to your new-to-me blog. I'd definitely feel more comfortable encountering a wallaby than a red kangaroo! If I "randomly came across them" for a hundred years, I'd never get over the thrill of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, so glad you have dropped by and enjoyed my kangaroo post.

      Delete
  5. What a marvelous animal. Amazing all the animal species in our world. Enjoyed reading about them. You're lucky to live where you can enjoy feasting your eyes on them. Where I live, there is nothing like that out in the wild or if there is, I've never ventured upon any except at the Zoo. Thanks for visiting and sharing and leaving an appreciated comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic pictures of these amazing animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes indeed, I love reading about Kangaroos. It's exotic for us. We can see them only in a Zoo ... maybe. Kangaroos are so special in their nature. And of course, it's sad if they victims of the traffic.

    Thank you for sharing at
    MosaicMonday

    Hugs by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great article, thank you! Incredible animals.
    I haven’t heard anything about the kangaroos for a while. I remember an animal rights documentary several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic article Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooo… never heard of world roo day. Makes yesterday sighting even better - mother and joey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill, this was a wonderful post with great photos. I find the term 'World Kangaroo Day' funny because these amazing animals are only found here. Thank you for the beautiful photos and the link to Nature Thursday. Kind regards – Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Elke. For some reason I can't comment on your blog. Frustrating. I don't know why.

      Delete
  12. I didn't know that they could have 3 Joey's at one time! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely outstanding, so wish I could see one IRL
    I visited you via My Corner of the World
    I linked up this week with = 43. Come and join us at #WordlessWednesday #Photography Wednesday - Saturday. You will find the info under BLOGGING

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved celebrating World Kangaroo Day with you Jill (and indeed even finding out the day existed was wonderful in itself). I'm definitely one of your readers who loves reading about them and especially your encounters while bushwhacking! Lovely pictures (thank you to both of you). The rock and pretty-faced wallabies are especially adorable, but I would be thrilled to see any one of this unique species. (and the suspended pregnancy thing was an amazing fact thing to learn.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoi, what a nice post. I still remember how, as a girl, I found it so remarkable to see the first pictures of wallabies that my aunt sent us when they emigrated to Australia. They seemed like such funny animals to me. It was only later that I learned they could also be dangerous. Isn't that right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jill - fantastic post! Yes, I do think it is marvelous and charming that you come across kangaroos and wallabies like we come across deer here! I knew a few things about kangaroos, but I certainly was not aware that they could jump as far as 26 feet, or that the females could suspend/pull forward pregnancies. Wow!

    I have been away from blogging since June - busy summer and fall - and I am glad to be catching up with everyone!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.