Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 27 February 2022

Already 2 months into the year???

 Hi everyone, I haven't been around much this year, I have been a little bit of a blogging break, but I am still here. Everything is ok, other than a couple of family issues. All of which will be resolved in time. 

In regional Western Australia, my family on the south coast, and in the wheatbelt were both impacted by massive bushfires. Thankfully neither of them lost any of their property or stock, although the fires werre very close, and thousands of hectares of agriculture and bushland were burnt and stock lost. 

How are you all doing? I hope you have been staying safe from Covid. Western Australia has been kept relatively safe for the last two years, but with our internal and international borders opening at the end of this week, case numbers are already rising. Even though I am fully vaxed I am fearful and hesitant to be out and about much. 

Did you watch the Winter Olympics? We don't have much snow in Australia so we really enjoyed watching the fast sports of the Winter Olympics. What they do is amazing. Australia won 4 medals, their highest number in a winter Olympics. I am looking forward to watching some of the Para Winter Olympics. 

Anyway a little run down of my year so far.  

In January we went down to Albany on our south coast so that I could attend a three day summer school - advanced botanical eco-printing with Penny Jewell. There was a lovely group of ladies, and I learnt lots and came home with a few upcycled cotton tops I printed during the class. 



We enjoyed our few days in Albany (though my dear husband had to amuse himself for 3 days - he took his bike and fishing gear), we went walking along a coastal path every morning or evening, saw some beautiful sunsets, had dinner down at the Albany waterfront, bought some art materials in a super art warehouse, and also went over to Denmark to visit my dear elderly aunt and had lunch at the Tea House Books cafe in Denmark, saw a couple of art exhibitions, and the opportunity to walk brielfy in the tall karri forest. 

On the way back from Albany we stopped in to see the giant 8.5 metre tall aluminium cricket bat and the cricket bat fence at the cricket ground of the small town of Narrikup (just off the Albany Highway), which we had heard about on the radio on our trip down. The new giant cricket bat has just been unvieled, replacing the old one, and they are looking for donations of old cricket bats to complete their fence. Please click on the link to find out how! Narrikup Cricket Club


26 January was Australia Day. We traditionally go into town to see the fireworks but this year, wanting to avoid the crowds, we decided to view them from across the other side of Koombana Bay. We were a little bit far away, but still enjoyed them and I managed to get some pics. 


Early in February we were on-water boat control at the Forza Dragon Boat regatta in Bunbury, and also witnessed the naming of two new boats. Our family has been involved in dragon boating in Bunbury since 1990.



Over the summer we have witnessed some amazing sunsets as we walk along the Leschencult Inlet in the evening. We have also enjoyed catching up with family and friends over the summer. And my husband took me out to breakfast on Valentine's Day. 


This sunset taken on 17 February was evidently the result of voltanic ash from Tonga circling the globe. It was certainly a strange erie glow. 


I also made grape tomato chutney and grape jam in February from the grapes on our one backyard vine. What! no photos!!

And took photos of our principals Nicole and Susanna from Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company at the South West Multicultural Festival.  They truly are beautiful dancers.


I had a mini indigo workshop with my friend Amy. It really is a complicated method to get the vat ready - though perhaps could be because I have never done it before. I tied these hemp/cotton squares with string to create these patterns. 


I am now getting botanical contact-print pieces ready for the Tree Street Art Safari in the park in March which has been moved to Forrest Park in Bunbury for this year. Though I think I will decide closer to the date, depending on Covid numbers. 


How has your year started? I hope you and your families are safe and healthy. Our friend is currently having chemotherapy and my brother-in-law's wife passed away in January. I thoughts are constantly with them. 

On our Eastern seaboard, floods are rushing through Queensland and New South Wales. Homes and lives have been lost as the rain continues to fall. 

I cry for what is happening to Ukraine families at the moment with the advance of Russian troupes into their towns and villages. I saw a young girl, maybe in her 20s, on the TV tonight learning to use a gun, and families fleeing on foot across the border, mothers carrying babies, children crying because their fathers are staying behind to fight. Surely there should be a diplomatic solution. Even though we are far away I worry about what it means for the rest of us. 

I realise I have much to be thankful for in my little corner of Western Australia. 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Please stay safe and whatever you are doing, enjoy your week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
   
MosaicMonday at Letting Go of the Bay Leaf
Flooded gum blossom


Sharon's Sovenirs 
Our World Tuesday
Pictorial Tuesday 
ThroughMy Lens 
Image-in-ing
My corner of the world through my camera 
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global hosted by Randomosity. 
       and Little bird - Pienilintu
Thankful Thursday 
Welcome to Nature Thursday

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

17 comments:

  1. What beautiful prints you've made! That workshops sounds like it was a lot of fun. I am so glad to hear your family didn't lose any property in the bushfires. Wild fires are so scary in how unpredictable they are. I love your firework photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you're okay. Sounds like you have kept busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I didn't realise how busy till I wrote this blog post!

      Delete
  3. Nice photos! Bushfires are scary. There is lots of Covid in the population here. I have not had. My daughter has had a light version, fully vaccinated. She's a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love your printings on cloth. Sorry to hear about the fires and glad your family were ok; as can be expected since I feel it had to be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a busy new year already. I'm blown away by your botanical contact-print pieces. Very bohemian and earthy. I would buy one in a heartbeat. Wishing you the best if you do the Tree Street Art Safari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Shirts! I'm new to your blog. Would love to connect! If you swing by my blog and put your URL in comments - I'll add it to my blogroll - if that's cool with you! I'm LOVING your blog and photos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello ♡
    You have a wonderful blog. Great post, it's very inspiring here and I love this style on blogs :)
    Lovely photos. Each has something in it. They all look great! :) Sometimes I also visit the blog less often, that's normal and nothing to worry about :)
    I love such inspiring blogs, maybe you want to stay in touch and agree to follow for follow on our blogs?
    Regards nice and warm from Poland ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for visiting. It was great to meet you!

      Delete
  8. Jill - life's challenges seem to keep mounting, from the loss of loved ones to fires to COVID to the invasion of Ukraine. We all must keep praying and thinking of those who are in the midst of these difficulties. Our family is doing well, and I am grateful. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday - the Montana equivalent of a cricket bat fence is one made with old skis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to have you back in the blogosphere with an update on your year. It has been a cold and wet start to 2022 in Greece. We both tested positive for Covid (I still have absolutely no symptoms whatsoever and Joel had a 'cold') the day before Putin invaded Ukraine. . .so far, we are both figuratively and literally waiting for sunshine!! Much love from the other side of the world, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you caught Covid, but also heartening that there was only minor or no symptoms. We are all expecting to get it here! I wouldn't want to be in Europe right now. Such a scary terrible situation going on there. Stay safe.

      Delete
  10. So glad to see that Western Australia re opening up again and understand the covid concerns this can bring. I'm sorry to see news of the bush fires close by to you. The cricket bat fence is so topical, we were all so sad to hear of Shan Warne's death in Thailand this week. Keep dancing it will keep you joyful in our crazy world.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In trutch I have been very happy in our little bubble. More stress now as numbers increase and I wonder when it will be our turn - even though we are vaccinated.

      Delete
  11. We are all saddened by the war and the terrible consequences for the people of Ukraine. It just breaks your heart. I love seeing those pretty cotton tops, they would be perfect for the Florida weather. And the dragon boats are very neat! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.