Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 25 January 2021

Australia Day - 26 January



26 January is Australia - the day that we celebrate everything that makes Australia such a great country to live in - it's for all of us - our diverse country, our amazing landscapes, our unique wildlife, our multicultural society, and acknowledge the indigenous people who populated Australia before white man arrived. 

I just found this map of indigenous Australia - as you can see there were many many groups. Australia's First Peoples have been living on the Australian continent for millennia and are the world's oldest surviving culture. AISTSIS - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia


There is always much discussion and conflicting opinion about whether we should celebrate Australia Day on 26 January - the day in 1788 that the Union Jack was first raised on Australian soil to establish the colony of New South Wales. Some indigenous people call it "invasion day" and in some ways it was. 

I know that many wrongs and atrocities were committed in the past, and some say wrongs are still being committed today. 

But as a proud white citizen of Australia whose family dates back to early settlement, I do not think changing the date we celebrate Australia day will make any difference. We can learn from the past but we cannot change the past. What has been done has been done. 

Instead I think we should all, indigenous people, whites and multicultural people who have made Australia their home, celebrate the Australia we have today and all the unique parts that make up Australia. We have all done our part to make Australia what it is today. We are all part of the story. 


I do not usually make political comments on my page, so I leave you with some links back to some of my past Australia Day posts - I think you will find some unique Aussie humour in there. 


I can walk on your country, I can listen and hear your stories, I can learn about plants and see the trees, birds, flowers, animals, I can study your ancient rock art, I can walk along your paths, I can sit under a tree and be still and feel the breeze on me, but I cannot really know your deep connection to your country, your cultural heritage, and what it means to you. But I, as a non-aboriginal "Balanda" can try.   Walking on Country - Kakadu - 2019


There won't be any Australia Day fireworks in our city this year due to Covid concerns, but there will be other events happening. Australia Day BBQ breakfasts are very popular. 


I think we might be going out in our boat in the morning, and then lazing around in the afternoon watching a typical Aussie movie - like The Man from Snowy River or watching the cricket, before enjoying an Australia Day BBQ. 


Whatever you are doing, stay safe, and happy Australia Day! It's for all of us! 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you and yours are safe and well. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  


I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you

10 comments:

  1. The feet sticking out the water make me smile! Your collage of fireworks are beautiful! So true, we cannot change the past, and continuing to bring them up to be politically correct is in my opinion futile. It's one thing a person can't give up the past, but punishing others for it, is a bit selfish! So don't let it spoil your day and enjoy your beautiful country on Australia Day! Many thanks for sharing it with All Seasons, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, Thanks for sharing your celebration. Have a good week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a unique country! Very diverse. I always enjoy your poss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - I think most countries have parts of their history that they deeply regret. Thanks for sharing your passion and cultural insights with everyone at Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great post on Australia Day. I agree with your sentiments too, we cannot change the past but it is the present and the future which we should celebrate on this day, and we are such a great country in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You share my sentiments about celebrating what we have. I am so tired of those negatives that seem to accompany every celebration theses days. I sometimes wonder if society (and the segments that are found within it) will ever find it in themselves to simply be happy. Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The feet shot is water-ful! Remember and honor the past and celebrate the future. I always tell my husband that we were invaders when he talks about animals that are invasive species here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Aussie Day! Y'all sure know how to celebrate!
    That is a lot of different groups of people on the map. I wonder how they survived in the middle desert!
    The tribal map of the early US certainly looks remarkable similar.

    It's so great to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.