Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Tuesday 14 July 2020

Wild and windy Canal Rocks, Western Australia

On the weekend we visited my sister and her family at their beach house in Dunsborough on our south west coast. It is a very popular holiday destination particularly in summer. 

While we were there we took a short drive to Canal Rocks only 14 kilometres away and easily accessible off Caves Road.  Here you can see the power of the Indian Ocean as it ceaselessly wears away the rocks to form the canals.  Particularly spectacular on a wild and windy day. 




 However, please be careful as this is a risk area where big waves can suddenly surge up onto the rocks and wash you into the ocean. Once you are in this "washing machine" there is little hope of recovery. 



We have visited Canal Rocks many times over the years. The younger me would clamber over this rocky part attached to the shore to see the water surging through the canal. Not this weekend though with my recovering ankle and perhaps I am a little more cautious now. 

This bridge you see in the above photo across the side channel was washed away recently in a particularly wild storm. It hasn't been repaired yet. 



Who would be wanting to launch or recover a boat from this boat ramp?



Here is an aerial view of Canal Rocks from a light plane ride we had a few years ago. You can see the canal.



Nearby is Smith's Beach - popular with surfers - but rather blown out on the weekend.



You can visit both of these on the 123 kilometre Cape to Cape walk trail from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin, in the south west corner of Western Australia. 
We have only done little "bits" of this trail, but our son has done it twice, the first time was on his own. 



 You see and read more about this area in a couple of my previous posts
The Ocean's edge - Yallingup and Smiths Beach - 2011
10 things to do in Yallingup without going to the beach - 2015
Flight over Busselton & Yallingup - 2016

And here is this last weeks Covid photo a day project - 6 - 12 July 2020

8 July - tiny midge orchid at Manea Park



10 July - and kangaroos watching me in the late afternoon light at my son's block. I think the one in the middle is the "boss" - he didn't move - just sat there watching me. I was glad there was a fence between us as you don't want to mess with these big boys. And you certainly don't want to approach kangaroos in the wild.
We had a roast dinner and damper cooked over a camp fire with our family - lovely. 


 Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have enjoyed this little visit to Canal Rocks. 
I hope you are doing well despite the current world health problems and that you are your families are safe. We have had a worrying upward trend in Covid virus numbers in one of our Eastern states, Victoria, this past couple of weeks. And I know numbers are on the rise throughout the world. It worries me. 

It was lovely to be back with my Spanish dance group - Sol y Sombra - last weekend and not think about viruses. 


I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Stay safe and well and have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

15 comments:

  1. I understand kangaroos can deliver quite a powerful kick. Do they tend to be aggressive, though, if you don't confront them? I know nothing about their personality.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/07/sunflowers-beauty-on-stem.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never approach one in the wild and generally we find in the wild they hop away. Males can be aggressive and yes can deliver a powerful kick which can rip you open particularly if they are protecting their females. Best seen up close in a wildlife sanctuary or zoo!

      Delete
  2. I could watch the sea for hours. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my sort of washing day! It does look like a washing machine, such a beautiful coastline, and lovely to have been out and about back to dancing as well! It was a joy to visit this post today and get my Aussie fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your photos of the crashing waves. Like you, I wouldn't venture too close to that churning water! But I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spectacular waves and rocks! And what a great shot with the roos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spanish Dance must be fascinating, I believe. It's a thing on hours to forget the isolation. Or to visit your sister, a walk on the beach...

    ...stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks similar to coasts here in Oregon. I am at the coast now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ocean is a fantastic place to relax, even if the water isn't! Great photos, as always.

    Your support for 'My Corner of the World' is much appreciated! Thanks for your link this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning coast captures, Jill, and so wild, but I love it! Great to get back tother with your dance group! Dance in this time, would be great in this time. Could not believe that this governor decided on a second lockdown for California. Am glad I'm escaping his repressive measures, and move to another state. Your capture of the kangaroos is heart warming:) Many thanks for sharing your week with All Seasons, and have a lovely week, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am not sure my comment came through. so here it is again. Stunning coast views, Jill. It's wild, but I love it. Great you could get together with your dance group - good for the soul:) Can you believe it, this week the governor of California decided on a second lock down. I guess he does not know that the news multiplies the results by 16!! an glad I am moving to another state with a better governor! Many thanks for keeping us at All Seasons informed with your fun and interesting updates:) Have a great week, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill - you are right to warn people about the waves - they can be very dangerous! I thought about you this week while we were hiking because I found a new orchid (for me). It is not a patch on the ones you have in Australia, but it still wows me every time to think of orchids in a "cold" place like Montana! I really laughed at the photos of the kangaroos - you are so casual about seeing them - I guess it's like seeing deer for us! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos! I think I need a visit like that.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.