Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 29 December 2019

2019 - and that's a wrap!

Hi everyone, and welcome to my last blog post for 2019. And the time of year again to look back over the past year. I don't look too far forward into the future and make New Year resolutions. Do you? Though it is nice to maybe have a bit of a plan about things I might like to do or achieve during the coming year.

2019 was a mixed year of illness, with two bouts of the flue in the first half of the year, and a broken ankle in September. Still it could have been worse. I mourned the loss of two friends whose deaths came far too early for these two wonderful souls. Over the last few months there have been bushfires burning all across Australia, and I send my thoughts and prayers to those battling the bushfires and to those who have sustained losses.  There have been many homes lost, and a few tragic deaths. These things put my life in perspective and make me feel grateful for all I have.

Here is a brief look back at some of my life's happenings over the year. If you click on the links they will take you to posts about these.

In January I attended a couple of Summer School classes at the Stirling Street Art Centre, and spent time with my sister.  I think my watercolour and calligraphy skills have a long way to go.


In February I attended a Fringe Festival performance by local group "The Roof Goats" 


 In March I had a market stall at the Tree Street Art Safari. It was a fabulous day meeting lots of people.



 I also attended a workshop to learn how to make paints and inks from plants. This is something I want to learn more about.



In April we visited the Field of Lights in Albany dedicated to those who lost their lives in World War 1.

In May I participated in a weekend Portrait Photography workshop with the Photography Group of Bunbury


In May we walked a short section of the Cape to Cape track in the Boranup Forest region


In June I danced at the Eisteddfod with Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company,
where we won the "Any age - National Troupe" and the "25 and over theatrical style".

I was privileged to provide a piece of botanical eco-dyed cloth to be included in the "Peace Cloth" for the "How Far Does the Hand Reach" project as part of a bigger exhibition in England, Botanical Signatures, by artist Maria Clarke-Wilson.


 The latter half of July, all of August and early September we took off on our half lap of Australia - 13,329 kilometers in 7 weeks and 3 days, 16 caravan parks and 11 free camps. 


 In August we walked on country in Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory, and got up close to the wildlife.

 In late August we continued down the center of Australia and we explored the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia for the first time, and I met a blogging friend, Marion from Redz Australia. We had been following each others blogs for a few years so it was fabulous to finally meet in person. 



After returning home in early September it was wildflower season in our corner of the south west, so we went hunting for wild orchids. Unfortunately I broke my ankle while we were out taking photos, which put an end to my wildflower season.  But we did find some beautiful orchids which we had never seen before.
In late September I ran a food photography workshop at my house for participants from the Photography Group of Bunbury


In October I was involved in a photography exhibition with the Photography Group of Bunbury at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery
And one of my photos was used as the cover of the South Side Quills 10th Anniversary book. 


 In November I was awarded second place Photographer of the Year (awarded on points earned at the monthly competitions of the club), Highly Commended Mono and Colour Image, and Most Consistent, with the Photography Group of Bunbury.

In December I celebrated the beautiful summer colour in my garden.


 In between all of this I looked after my family and helped out with my grandsons when needed, and volunteered at our local primary school library. I photographed, wrote, had some magazine articles published, held a couple of market stalls and indulged in my passion for botanical eco-printing. 


When I look back over the year it has been a busy one. 

Thank you so much to you all for coming to my blog for the past year, for the link ups to various linky parties, and for your comments. Without you my blog would just be a way of recording our life through my on-line diary. But through your participation I can share some small part of my life with you. Thank you. I hope you have enjoyed it.

Also a huge thank you to my family, friends and members of "Ladies who Lunch", South Side Quills Writers Group, Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company, and the Photography Group of Bunbury. You keep my creative juices flowing!  And my dear husband who is my driver across our amazing country, and everything man.

I wonder what 2020 will bring. We haven't any plans as yet, but I am sure the year will evolve. 

As Australia continues to burn, I worry about the future.  The fires started in August and are still burning. Everyday we hear on the news about another flare up, another fire which has started, about the thousands of people that have had to evacuate or lost their homes, about the injuries and death of people, wildlife and ecology. Another firefighter died in the fires yesterday. Our country is so dry. I pray for rain. this is the latest map which I've just downloaded tonight. 31 December.


  
As I write there are thousands of people sheltering on the beach as the fires engulf their towns. I cry for them. Please pray for them.


Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

22 comments:

  1. What a creative year you had. Wonderful to read the recap. Beautiful pics too. Wish you a busier 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what you have achieved in a year! You are very creative and I love all your work. I notice that you have some dyed fabric in one of your photos, with Australian leaves, looks beautiful. My cousin in Canada has been doing similar and was here recently and loved our Australian gum leaves. If you are interested I could give you her website. Thanks for sharing over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I would love to have her website Rosie. thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jill, you did have a busy and productive year. Your photography is is wonderful, beautiful photos. The trip around Australia sounds awesome. The flowers are gorgeous. Enjoy your day and week ahead. Thanks for visiting my blog this past year! Happy New Year, I wish you all the best in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you and yours Eileen. And thank you for stopping by my blog this year too! Us bloggers have to stick together!

      Delete
  4. Loved all the photos! you are a very creative person ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - I normally create some New Year's resolutions, but they have a way of evolving as the year proceeds. I don't get too hung up about that; I just like creating them and seeing what sticks!

    Your year in review is a nice way to close out the year - you have been a little quiet about these awards that you have received! Well done - it is well deserved!

    Thanks for being a faithful contributor to Mosaic Monday, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers, Jill, to a rock-solid 2019 full of adventures, creativity, and ventures. May 2020 be one of positive visions and the end to the fires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes... an end to the fires.... they are horrific.

      Delete
  7. Jill, Thanks for the year in review. The wild fires are scary. We had them here too this summer. I hope your foot is better. Love the eco dye projects you make. Wishing you a happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've achieved so much Jill and even travelled through my home city of Adelaide.
    Hoping you have a wonderful healthy and joy filled 2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we didn't get to Adelaide this time around, that was a few years ago, but I would like to visit again one of these years. Have a great 2020.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a busy 2019. Like you, I don't make New Year's resolutions, but just hope for the best. I am looking forward to quite a few hikes in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart breaks for Australia and all the fires!

    What a great year you have had. I would love to do the same tour of half of Australia as you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia is a lot bigger than people imagine. Some people take to the road for the round trip for months.

      Delete
  11. You have a great web site and great photos Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are a delightful memory of your year and a record of how much you have achieved these last 12 months. I wish you a happy, healthy and active 2020. It is with great sadness that I watch the news of the devastation the bush fires have caused throughout Australia. We are all praying for a month of rain for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your prayers for rain. We certainly need it.

      Delete
  13. Your creative side has been so busy this year Jill. So wonderful to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammy. I hope to see you around a bit more this year.

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a great year for you! I hope 2020 is even better :)

    It's so nice to see you at 'My Corner of the World'!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.