Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 3 February 2019

The Roofgoats and friends - Fringe Festival Bunbury 2019

 Have you ever been to a concert in an Art Gallery?

On Saturday evening I went to see the opening night of "The Roofgoats and friends" performance, "12 Brag Faves", at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery as part of the Fringe Festival.  

Describing themselves as a folk-rock live theatre band, who have been performing since 1995, The Roofgoats performed all new material written by Roofgoat members to interpret through words, music and song, twelve pieces of art selected by Art Gallery staff. There was also original poetry by Ben Mason, comedy from Dave Phillips, dance interpretation by Nicole Kostezky, and a sea-shanty sung by The Anchormen.

And what a FABULOUS show it was performed in the chapel gallery of the Art Gallery to a packed audience.


 Before the show we were introduced to the selected artworks through a thoroughly enjoyable, tongue-in-cheek, comic introduction by "Dudley Featherstone". 

Paintings included works by Australian artists Guy Grey-Smith's "Landscape", Arthur Boyd's "Wimmera Landscape", the social-political work "The Lovers" by Julie Dowling, and an early "Bunbury Harbour" scene by Sam Wheeler.  The paintings were projected behind the group during the performance of each piece.

 Supporting The Roofgoats was an expanded group of supporting friends, which included Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA) music student Lydia McIntyre, and University of WA (UWA) conservatorium piano student Annabelle Robinson adding their feminine tones to the group. 

A few pics from the show -
Below clockwise from top left - Brad Snelling (the husband of a school teacher friend), Lydia McIntyre (daughter of my dancing friend), Mike McIntyre (Lydia's Dad!), poet Ben Mason, comedian Dave Phillips, and Annabelle Robinson (vocals, trumpet and guitar).
The Anchormen (a group formed in April 2018) sang an original sea-shanty, "Yo Ho Haul Away", written by Damian Maher and inspired by the art work "Bunbury Harbour" (1903) by Sam Wheeler.



And the many faces of my friend and dance teacher, dancer and artistic director of Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company, Nicole Kostezky, as she physically interpreted the music and art works. 

"Surely some physical expression would help showcase these visual artworks?" "I know someone" said Mike and so began Nicole's collaboration with The Roofgoats.  

Nicole commented: " It was a privilege to dance as part of an amazing show, with such a talented bunch of artists."
Nicole giving a Spanish Flamenco interpretation of the song "She's a Rose" written by Brad Snelling, influenced by the painting "Landscape" by Guy Grey Smith. 



At the end of the night The Roofgoats were given a standing ovation. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of "12 Brag Faves" by The Roofgoats and friends, and lucky for me I had a good seat from which to take photos! :) 

But why Roofgoats? I asked them -
"Alan Payne, our squeezy player, when we were fishing around for a name said " I saw goats on a roof in City beach once and thought 'that would be a good name for a band'". We've tried, but never been able to shake it."


 See more of the Roofgoats on Facebook at - The-Roofgoats
 The Fringe Festival - Bunbury Fringe
 a few more photos from my Facebook album - Jill Harrison on Facebook
and Sol-y-Sombra Spanish Dance Company - Solysombra Dance


The Bunbury Regional Art Gallery is housed in the former Sisters of Mercy Concent and Chapel built in 1897 in Federal Free Medieval style, a blend of Gothic and Southern European architectural characteristics.


Thank you so much for stopping by.  Have you ever been to a music performance in an Art Gallery? Perhaps you would like to tell us about it in your comments. 

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

19 comments:

  1. It looks like a great time with the fun band! You never know what kind of talent you'll find at places like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of these brilliant and inspired friends who have written, directed, sung, spoken & danced their expressive interpretations of these amazing works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous concert!����!!! We loved it!!! The Roof goats are the best!!! ������

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, the concert and festival sound like a fun time. I would like the Folk-rock music. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and have a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a fabulous show. I love love love BRAG - and what a fabulous venue for it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, thank you for sharing... interesting to read, I enjoyed your Post.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to a lot of concerts outside but never one in a gallery like this! How amazing! I would love to hear them perform!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just going from the bands name alone, I’d figure I’d enjoy them! What a great venue for a concert ... I’ve never been to anything in like that.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun. Happy mosaic Monday

    Much💟love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill - what an amazing collaboration of multiple art forms. At this moment, I am intensely jealous - our small valley does not have events such as this, and I wish it did. So, I will just have to live vicariously through you … all of us at Mosaic Monday appreciate your contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Roofgoats - what a hilarious name! Your dance teacher from Sol y Sombra seems to be a bailarin de flamenco <3 I am sure you enjoyed to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a show! It was a great privilege to work with so many talented artists. Thank you Roofgoats and friends for the unforgettable experience

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow, your concert sounded wonderful. Lots of laughter, smiles, and joy that evening, I could tell. I love those types of events. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like fun! And their name is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jesh - All Seasons5 February 2019 at 14:10

    Roofgoats is a great name -I already was wondering what it meant:)
    This must have been a wonderful cultural event - I love to see so many
    branches of the arts are working together. What struck me was the
    woman with the trumpet in your first capture!
    Many thanks for sharing this great celebration with us at All Seasons!
    Have a lovely week, Jesh StG/Junieper

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun event. I love the name "Roofgoats". There is a small town near us where goats graze on a grass roof and they sell t-shirts with "Goats on the Roof" slogans. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peter Blankendaal15 April 2024 at 22:14

    Just stumbled across this page so many years later. That's me with the pink paisley guitar.
    Very fond memories of the gig and proud of the great original material we produced together.
    There's a real synergy that happens when the Roofgoats and friends get excited about a project. Who knows what will turn up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - I've always loved photography you guys!

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.