Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 18 February 2019

There has to be wildflowers

 Western Australia has thousands of varieties of wildflowers and has a number of biodiversity hotspots. There is always something flowering somewhere. 

And whenever I travel, I am on the lookout for wildflowers. Like this Banksia I spied recently at Lake Towerrinning south of Darkan in the Western Australian wheatbelt. We stopped here overnight on our way back from the south coast last Friday.

There are many Banksia varieties so I can't be sure which this is - it could be the Showy Banksia - Banksia speciosa - but I can't be sure.




The Proteaceae family (which includes Banksias) comprises about 80 genera with about 1,600 species. There are 173 Banksia species, and all but one occur naturally only in Australia. 
 South western Australia contains the greatest diversity of banksias, with 60 species recorded.  (from the web - Australian National Herbarium)

I've blogged about the Banksia before - Celebration of the Australian Banksia 

 We have just got back from a trip away and I am trying to catch up with life here. I hope to join you next week with some of our travels.  

 Until then, thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

13 comments:

  1. Such wonderfully strange plants! Rather like something you would expect to see in a sci-fi movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we certainly have some very unique plants in Australia.

      Delete
  2. The flowers have me thinking of cozy warm white knitted sweaters.:-) Your wildflowers are exotic flowers to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of them like that - but yes, knitting!

      Delete
  3. Jill - knowing that you just returned from your trip, I am grateful that you took the time to link up to Mosaic Monday with such a fascinating collage. I remember being intrigued by your last post about banksias, and now I remember why. Such a different type of flower from anything here! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banksia are so special. When you look at them deeply they are just so intricate. Love your flower photography Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo, I do love it and so lucky to live in this special corner of the world.

      Delete
  5. Wow - what an amazing flower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so pretty. I have seen some in our suburb as well, if I am recognizing it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesh - All Seasons20 February 2019 at 14:23

    Hello Jill,
    Did not know the Banksia belonged to the Protea family.
    Next time we go to Southern CA - Huntington Library Gardens,
    I 'ld like to check if they have the Banksia in the Australian garden.
    Beautiful, Jill! Am glad you shared this beauty.
    Thank you for bringing such interesting and noteworthy posts
    to All Seasons since you joined the meme.
    Have a great rest of the week, Junieper/Jesh StG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the texture of this plant. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.