Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 17 June 2019

Dancing in the dark - Sol y Sombra

Hi everyone, it has been a busy week last week as I danced in two sections of the Bunbury Eisteddfod with my dance group - Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company and School of Dance. 
We were awarded first place in both our sections. 

Here are  a few photos....though none taken by me :) 

Wednesday - Over 25s theatrical style troupe -  dancing to Ricky Martin's la Copa de la Vida - a fun dance


my daughter in law and me

And Saturday night -   the flamenco dance Bulerias in the "Any age dance - National Troupe". This dance has no music, just keeping the rhythm and timing with clapping (palmas) and footwork. A more serious and precision dance. 

We just love these colourful sparkly shawls which were simply wrapped around our black leotard and black flamenco skirts.  And of course, add flowers and sparkly ear-rings!

These are all back stage photos as unfortunately they do not allow photos to be taken of the performances. 
That is our teacher and choreographer, Nicole, second from the left. 
I am 4th from left. 



 And our second teacher, wardrobe mistress and makeup artist - Susie, first on left.


 A huge thank you to my flamenco family and to Delia Dillon, our newest dance company member, for these images. All phone photos - I love the editing she has done on this last image. 

I've been a part of Sol y Sombra since 2012 after my daughter-in-law invited me to join. In 2015 we held our 25th anniversary celebration. I blogged about it here Ole - Celebration of 25 years of flamenco
 
Learning flamenco has been both daunting but wonderful too being with this amazing, kind, generous, talented and supportive group of ladies and our one male, Peter. 
I thank them all for their support and encouragement over the years. Flamenco is certainly not the easiest dance form to learn. And I didn't go to dance classes when I was young. I wish I had found flamenco in my 20s or 30s, not my 50s! 

Any form of dancing is great for exercise, co-ordination, memory, balance, timing, confidence, and personal growth being put out of your comfort zone when we perform on stage. And it is fun!

Do you dance? Perhaps you would like to tell us about it in your comments. Never think you are too old to start. My dance teacher also teaches an adult ballet class.  If this old bird, me, can learn, so can you!

 Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

24 comments:

  1. Jill - congratulations to you and your dancing family! A wonderful accomplishment! It is still on my list to take dancing lessons, and you have reminded me how much I want to do this. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I love top see Flamenco dance. Congratulation for your awards. I wished I was there to give Applaus.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Congrats on your award Jill. Lovely ladies, beautiful photos of you and your DIL. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look a bunch of beautiful & skilful ladies there! Congratulations for your first prize. I don't dance practically, but everytime I go to Spain a couple of flamenco performances are on my must to see list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, we watched a flamenco show in Seville last year. I would have loved however to go to an authentic club or see street flamenco.

      Delete
  5. I love the energy you bring to your life! Your enthusiasm for the arts just makes me smile (and sigh, as I don't think I'd have the energy to tackle as many forms of it as you do). Loved this post and it is nice seeing photos OF you instead of photos BY you!! xx Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jackie. Sometimes there is TOO MUCH going on!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful group images, Jill! Do you keep your hair long, because you do the Flamingo? Have seen Flamingo dances in Spain, and it's sooo energetic! Have done some Jewish group dances in the past. Two of my youngest though have been much more into dancing than I have. Many thanks for adding this interesting adventure to All Seasons:) Dance away this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the long hair is just how I have it - honestly I can't be bothered to be always going to the hair-dresser :). My son many years ago said that if I cut my hair I must be feeling old! so long it is. Flamenco not flamingo - I laughed at the image of "doing the flamingo" LOL

      Delete
  7. Luv the photos. Have a happy week

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always loved to dance! And I love this music! What beautiful costumes you have too! WOW! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fun to dress up. I love dancing too, but learning set steps and hoping you don't mess up on stage can be stressful at times. I guess it is good to step out of our comfort zone.

      Delete
  9. Jill, Exercise and coordination, keeping your mind nibble is all great! Have a great week. Sylvia D,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful costumes. Looks like a great performance. Glad you could participate in such a fun event. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the group's success. It must require so much energy and concentration to compete so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely, but it is great for us "mature ladies". Though I am by far the oldest, and the youngest is 40.

      Delete
  13. What fun and wonderful photos congratulations on winning - twice! I love your costumes. You've got me thinking maybe this old bird can dance too - I'm just off for a four day boogie fest otherwise known as Glastonbury... I will see how my flamenco dancing goes down and let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never too old to dance. Enjoy Glastonbury!

      Delete
  14. How much fun does that look? I did belly dancing for a time but stopped when travel for the day job took me away too often in the term time. I was draedful at it but throroughly enjoyed it at the same time. Thanks for linking up with #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. belly dancing has always looked like so much fun.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for your nice Comment... belong to your question: a translation button is on the Main Site of my Blog, on the right side. Hope I could help 🤗

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.