Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 4 March 2019

Feasting on the Kangaroo Paw, Western Australia

My front garden is lovely in summer. Especially during the months of December and January it is ablaze with colour - the red of the coral bush, the yellow of the kangaroo paws, yellow daisies and day lillies, the purple and blue of the native hibiscus and agapanthus, and the pink of the hydrangea. Plus the various colours of the roses. 

I know I have shared some of these delights before with you - Summer in my garden


And I am sure you remember the tinsel I draped around my kangaroo paws in a miserable attempt to keep the parrots from devouring them!


But strangely this year we haven't had the parrots visit our yard in the numbers we usually have, so the kangaroo paws have been safe from them. 

Most mornings during January we have sat in the cool shade of our front verandah for morning tea.  It is a lovely place to sit looking over the garden. 
Just off the edge of the verandah is a stand of tall green kangaroo paws. From my research I am guessing these are Anigozanthos flavidus. 

The kangaroo paw derives its name from its flowers, which feel furry, and are shaped just like a kangaroo's paw.  They are native to Western Australia.
These green kangaroo paws were in are garden when we arrived, and have thrived every since.

 Anigozanthos is endemic to Western Australia, where there are 11 species and 13 recognised sub-species. All are recognisable by their distinctive inflorescences (flower-heads) and are found through-out the south-west from Kalbarri to east of Esperance. They have been known as ‘Kangaroo Paws’ since the 1850s – but were originally called a ‘Kangaroo Foot’. Smaller species are now referred to as ‘catspaws’.  Anigozanthus is closely related to the genus Macropidia (the’ Black Kangaroo Paw’), which now has its own monotypic genus.
Wildflower Society of WA - Paws for thought 

Can you see the little open flower heads? I can guarantee you that the nectar feeding birds have, and that is exactly what the kangaroo paws want.

Key nectar-feeding birds pollinating the kangaroo paw are the brown honeyeater, red wattlebird, western spinebill and white-cheeked honeyeater.



 The nectar of the kangaroo paws is found in the long and tubular flowers and is an important high-energy food source for many birds, mammals and insects. 

The long flower-stalks usually rise above the undergrowth and 'advertise' the presence of nectar in the flowers. The stalks also provide a perch for visiting birds.

The shape of the flowers and the position of the pollen-bearing anthers is a feature which allows pollen to be deposited on the head of feeding birds. This pollen is transferred from flower to flower as the birds feed. Different species usually deposit pollen on different areas of the birds' head. This means that pollen from one species is unlikely to be deposited in the flowers of another species.


In the pictures below you can see the little brown honeyeater which visited our kangaroo paws every morning, flitting from plant to plant. It was delightful to sit and watch them while we had our morning tea. They seemed unconcerned about us.  

I noticed that there seems to be only one "flower" open on each "paw" at a time. Perhaps they close up when the nectar has been drunk, and another one opens up, and that the red anthers signal to the birds. Although I can't find any information about this.

We also have a yellow kangaroo paw in our garden, so I found it interesting to read that because of the position of the pollen-bearing anthers depositing the pollen onto a different part of the birds head, it was unlikely to cross pollinate flowers of a different kangaroo paw species. Isn't nature amazing! 

I must say thank you to my husband for the photos of the brown honeyeater. 


Below you can see the Mangles Kangaroo Paw - Anigozanthos manglesii - which is the floral emblem of Western Australia. About 1.25 metres tall, the red and green flowers are very striking. 



The birds have to bury their heads into the base of this flower to reach the nectar. 



The size, flower-stalk height and colour of kangaroo paws flowers varies between the species. Many new forms have also arisen as the result of deliberate hybridisation.

For more information on kangaroo paws you might like to visit:
Backyard Buddies 
Australian National Botanic Gardens, Canberra 
Scitech.org.au 
Blue Planet Biomes 
Australian National Herbarium - WA emblem 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have enjoyed this post about the kangaroo paw, which is just one of Western Australia's amazing native species which I feel so lucky to be able to photograph, and in this case to have in my garden attracting birds.
 I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

22 comments:

  1. Jill - Nature IS amazing!!! I am entranced by everything about this plant - the name, the look, the "service" it provides to the birds … And once again I am saying to myself - why haven't we visited Australia? Especially when you describe tea on the front verandah … sounds pretty good right now when the temps here are negative 5 F!!! Thanks so much for linking to Mosaic Monday - I was basking in the light of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes nature is amazing and we have an AMAZING array of wildflowers in our little corner of the world.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are spectacular (as usual) and I learned so much about this plant of which I had never heard before! xx J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kangaroo Paw plants, parrots (or lack of them) and the little birds - I always love my little Aussie dose of sunshine when I visit you! Have a lovely week
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s my dream to visit Australia! Thank you for sharing this wonderful post...
    ...happy MosaicMonday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That plant doesn't look real! I always marvel at the details of flowers and plants. Love the bird photo...he's serious about getting in there. Beautiful bird and photo! Enjoy your week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the little birds loved tucking into them. Now the flowers are spent I miss the birds while we sip our morning coffee.

      Delete
  6. Interesting how where we live shapes our world view - I think of January as grey, bleak, fog, rain!
    The kangeroo paws are beautiful in itself, but when that one flower comes peeking out, it is stunning! Priceless to see the bird (do you know which bird it is?) trying to get the nectar. Thank you for the clear description for All Seasons what is happening here! Love the educational slant in many of your posts! Thanks so much for sharing:)
    Thank you also for your comment about my watercolor - I push other necessary things aside and MAKE time, because of the historic aspects of the places I paint- for posterity:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos bring the kangaroo paws alive for me. I still haven't found a kangaroo paws plant I like to come home with me. Maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my yellow and green paws look stunning during summer.

      Delete
  8. Marvellous shots and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful, warm photos and such an interesting plant. I had never heard of it. I do love the name! #ThroughMyLens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love kangaroo paw, although we only have the all red variety here.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! Thanks for the info about this delightfully different plant :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen kangaroo paw plants before today. I can see how they get their name

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these are really unique. I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you dear readers for your comments and for visiting. Life has been so busy, I am sorry I have been so slow in responding and visiting your blogs. Take care and have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.