Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 9 June 2014

Making Anzac biscuits & my week in pictures

Last Anzac Day, 25 April, I realised that I hadn't made Anzac biscuits for years.  I mentioned it on my blog post on Anzac Day - you can see it here - 25 April-Anzac Day-We will remember them

So a couple of weekends ago when my grandson came for a sleep over I decided to make Anzacs with him. He loves cooking.


Anzacs are a traditional Australian family favourite biscuit. Everyone has their own ideas as to whether they should be crunchy or soft. I remember great trays of crunchy Anzacs coming out of the oven of my Aunt's wood stove. They waft out a delicious smell through the kitchen.

Here is my Aunt's recipe - she called them "John Bulls" - maybe from the brand of oats she used. 
Mix together 1 cup rolled oats, 
1 cup dessicated coconut, 
1 cup plain flour, 
1/2 cup sugar.  
Melt 125gm butter or margarine. 
Stir in 2 heaped tablespoons of Golden Syrup. D
issolve  1 1/2 teaspoons bi-carb soda in 2-3 tablespoons boiling water.
 Mix into the butter mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix in well. 
Place flattened balls of mixture onto you baking tray. Baking paper works well. Leave room for spreading. 

Now here is the tricky part. My aunt cooked in a wood stove, so I really have no idea what temperature. It was amazing the sponges and cooking she pulled out of that oven. 
A recent recipe book says: Cook in a slow oven (150-170C) for about 20 minutes. So I suggest try that.
Cool on a wire rack. 


According to the Australian War Memorial website it is unknown how Anzac biscuits got their name or how they came to be a traditional biscuit to make on Anzac Day. 

To keep reading and see more pics, please click on "read more" .....


From the 1920s onwards Australian recipe books nearly always included Anzac biscuits but exactly how this recipe became identified with Anzac, or the First World War, is unknown.  The sweet Anzac biscuits are far different to hardtack biscuits which were the standard ration of soldiers and sailors.
Anzac biscuits don't have the shelf-life of hardtack biscuits but they do last a reasonable amount of time, so it is possible that they became known as a suitable inclusion in parcels of small luxuries and comforts that families and charitable organisations used to send overseas to soldiers.

You can read more about Anzac and hardtack biscuits by clicking here - Anzac biscuits 

I think I should have left my Anzacs in the oven a bit longer, as they were a bit soft, but they were delicious anyway!  Do you make Anzac biscuits. Do you have a memory of them from your childhood? 


A few more pics from this past week......
It may be winter, but my grape vine is still wearing it's beautiful autumn colours 


 I drove home via the beach on Thursday to take photos of this beautiful sunset


On Friday I went for a walk along the beach at Koombana Bay in my lunch hour. The shags were drying their wings on the jetty, and didn't particularly like my intrusion....


On Saturday I ran a beginner's photography course at beautiful Lyndendale Gallery near Dardanup. One of the "composition" elements discussed was "leading" and "converging lines". So I snapped this pic on the way home as an illustration. I love this long line of trees.


On Sunday we went up to the bush - I of course had my camera and I spent some time playing around with Aperture priority and looking for interesting shapes, patterns and textures. Can you see the little picture of a tree that a creature has drawn on the leaf in the RH corner pic?


So there you have it - Anzac biscuits - and my week in pictures.

 Thanks for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

Lyndendale Gallery, Crooked Brook Rd

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global, Travel Photo Thursday, What's It Wednesday. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday



19 comments:

  1. I need to have this recipe. Thank you Jill. Once again you fill my eyes full of beauty and light. So well done.
    Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar recipe but we call them 'chews' so I guess we bake them a little less time than you do.
    I would love to live close enough to take one of your courses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lines and composition - and what a sweet grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series of shots and those biscuits look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a delight to share your week with you Jill, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious looking biscuits Jill. I wish I had an oven to do some baking. It is one of the things I miss about home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy ANZAC Biccies, so easy and so tasty. I have heard that they used to be made and included in packages from families but I don't know how true this is. Oh the colour of that grape leaf is just wow!. I love your pattern shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly may have included them in "comfort parcels" to troops serving overseas. My Dad said that his mother used to do up parcels, and my Mum used to talk about knitting socks and balaclavas for troops. Sometimes they would include a fruit cake and hollow out the inside and insert a small bottle of brandy.

      Delete
  8. wonderful photos Jill - you are right when you say you don't have to go far to find good subject matter - it's all around us ...
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jill, I always look forward to your posts and this was no exception. My mouth is watering - I must try these one day. And that leaf is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anzac Biscuits, boats, tall trees and autumn leaves are some of my favourite things. You wouldn't like to come and make my oven door look as nice and clean as yours would you? Beautiful gorgeous pics as usual. I expect nothing less from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - my oven door isn't this clean - I opened the door to take the pic. There was too much reflection with the door closed.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful week, especially that sunset and the close up photos of the leaves. I only heard of Anzac biscuits when I moved to Malaysia. I've never seen them in Texas, but I suppose that Malaysia has enough Aussies and Kiwis that they brought them over here. My friend taught me how to make them, and I was sure to keep her family recipe so that I can back them back in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful collection of photos Jill...so much beauty! I've never heard of Anzac biscuits before, but they sure look good. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jill, Love both the photos and the recipe. I love the artist bug leaf shot...very cool! Good eyes to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely shots, Jill. Those biscuits look delicious. My oven here in Korea is not great, so I seldom bake. When I see baking like yours that's when I really miss not having a good oven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Anzac biscuits look tasty! I'm a soft cookie eater, so I would lean to less crispy. ;-) Your photos are wonderful also! I love the trees and fence shot for the leading lines. I especially like the colors in that shot also. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.