Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 28 April 2024

Anzac Day 2024


"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
Lest We Forget

The 'Ode of Remembrance' comes from the poem "For the Fallen", written by Laurence Binyon.

These words are spoken at war memorials - the big and the small - all across Australia and New Zealand, and around the world at Gallipoli in Turkey, France, New Guinea and many other places on Anzac Day - 25th April - the anniversary of the dawn landing at Gallipoli in 1915 - the day that we have set aside to remember those who lost their lives or have come home damaged from war. 

I believe it is Australia's most important national day. 


Every year we go to the Dawn Service to remember two family members who we have never met but who are part of the reason we live in the freedom of Australian as we do. 

Norman Clayden - my great uncle who was killed at Gallipoli on 27th April 1915, just two days after the beach landing - aged 19 - no known grave.
As well as his name on the Lone Pine memoral at Gallipoli, and the Perth War Memorial in Western Australia, we last year found his name on the memorial at Pingelly in the Western Australia wheatbelt, from where he enlisted. He looks so proud in his uniform this photo.


And my husband's uncle Richard Ramsden who died in a prisoner of war camp in Myanmar (Burma) on 29th October 1943 in World War 2 - aged 23 - buried at Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery, Mynanma - a place where his family have never been able to visit. We only just recently learnt about some of what he might have gone through as a wounded and sick captured soldier who was forced to work.


Two young men cut down in their prime. What a waste. With the wars still going on around the world, it is obvious we have learnt nothing.
We are grateful to the people who look after these resting places far across the oceans.


I have shared some of this before in different ways -

Anzac Day 2022

Anxac Day 2019 - Field of Lights, Albany

Remote Anzac Sunrise Reminders - 2023

Gallipoli and Anzac Day 2021

Thank you so much for stopping by. Do you have an Anzac Day commemoration where you live? Is there someone you remember on that day?

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. The sky is a red celebration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Remembrance Day is the 11th Nov and ceremonies are similar to yours with Binyan's words being spoken at every memorial service. Very important that we remember but it appears we have learned nothing when we look at the suffering and sacrifice that still continues today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 11th November to, but anzac day also seems more prominent with the dawn service

      Delete
  3. A poignant reminder. I am glad you take the time to attend the dawn service every year.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really sad for me. These wars should never be repeated again. We - my husband and I - are pacifists from the bottom of our hearts. And the fallen young man from your family leaves a big gap, like so many young men in these unnecessary battles. I`m affected!

    By the way... An art card in the spirit of Käthe Kollwitz is planned for May. I already have my design in mind: a protest against the war.

    Thank you very much for your contribution to
    MosaicMonday

    I wish you a pleasant week, best wishes from
    Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  5. May God bless the men and women who serve to keep us free.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/04/too-funny-not-to-share.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jill, oh yes, what a waste of young lives these wars were... In my family too, many young men were killed in WWI and WWII, especially my maternal grandfather's brothers. (He had many siblings - they were 10 boys and one girl.) I myself suffered the most from the fact that my aunt (ma mothers sister), whom I never knew, was killed in the last air raid over Vienna during WWII when she was 16 years old. I would have liked to have met her... but the war was against it. And unfortunately the warfare doesn't stop...
    By the way, in Melbourne we went to the Shrine of Remembrance.
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/rostrosen-alltag-nach-der-reise.html

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.