Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 12 December 2022

Cyanotype - sun prints - how to basics

 Hi everyone. I hope you and yours are well. It has been a couple of weeks since I blogged. In that time I was busy getting ready for a Christmas market stall, and then my family and I all caught Covid so we have been isolating, and honestly not felt like doing much. Thankfully we haven't been too sick, and were able to get antiviral medication which I think helped a lot. Now I am just tired and lethargic. 

So just a brief post from me today. You might recall a recent photo of some blue coloured prints. That is cyanotype. 


Cyanotype is an antique photographic printing process distinctive for producing Prussian blue monochromatic prints. Developed in the mid-19th century

It is fun and easy and the resulting prints are archival. You can use leaves, flowers, feathers, any 3d object, film negatives, crumpled plastic, whatever you like really. 

First you need the two chemicals, a cyanotype kit, which can be purchased from art stores. I bought mine from an on-line company here in Australia. 

The basic instructions, which should come with the kit, is to fill the two bottles with water, shake to mix, then leave for 24 hours. 

In subdued lighting mix equal quantities of the two liquids in a bowl and paint onto your target paper - the liquid will be greeny yellow on the paper.  

I used a printmakers paper, but you can try all sorts of paper, and also cloth. But use a paper that can withstand washing. Only make enough mixture as you need as it is only usable for 2-4 hours. I use 1 tablespoon of each for a small batch.  

Then dry the papers in the dark. If not using the painted papers straight away, keep in a darkened envelope or box which light cannot get into. 

Lay your leaves , or whatever you choose onto the paper. I put a piece of cardboard behind and a piece of perspex or glass on top, and clamp down with bulldog clips. Clamping prevents movement of the leaves during processing which will cause blury prints. I salvaged a piece of glass from an old photo frame. 

Put out into the sun or other UV source. Leave for up to 30 minutes, depending on how sunny the day is. Over-exposue is better than under-exposure. Your paper will look bronze in colour after proper exposure. 

Rinse in a tray of water for about 5 minutes. 

and then leave to dry, but not in direct sunlight. 


I have been using my cyanotypes to make greeting cards - I thought these ferns look like Christmas trees - I've added other flowers to look like snow. 

And I also made this tote bag which sold at the market. This is a very useful fern I have in my garden. 


So there you have it. Just the basics of cyanotype. I am certianly not an expert. I still have other cyanotype avenues I want to experiemtn with - like wet cyanotypes.  You can find out more information by searching on the web. 

Here are a couple of suggestions to read further and find inspiration: Have fun and experiment! 

Kim Herringe - playing with Cyanotype

Instagram-Cyanotype masters

Instagram - Indigo Moth

Have you ever played with Cyanotype? - perhaps you would like to tello us about it in your comments. 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
   

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Jill,
    I hope you and your family have recovered from the Covid. Your art work is beautiful. I love the fern images.
    Happy Holidays to your and yours. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you got sick with Covid. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a huge success at the stall. The prints are lovely!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - so sorry to hear that you got the COVID. At this point, I think most folks have had one bout with it - fortunately, it seems that the impact has lessened compared to 2 years ago ... Love your cyanotype printing, especially the "conversion" to Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A special thank to you. Cyanotype is a challenge what I have planned for a long time. Many thanks being part of MosaicMonday.

    Jill, I`m seeking for a possibility to give a Translator. Maybe I must change my blogpost surface ... but I hope of an other way.

    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that you got Covid. I hope you feel better soon!
    Your cyanotypes are beautiful.
    Enjoy the holidays.
    ~ Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Jill, I'm sorry you got Covid! Luckily the worst is over now!
    Cyanotype is a fascinating technique and you've created great prints with it. It's true, the ferns resemble Christmas trees - what a great idea to conjure up these cards!
    I hope from now on you have a pleasant pre-Christmas period!
    All the best from Austria
    Traude (just returned from a 3-week trip...)
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/12/besuch-im-tierpark-stadt-haag.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear you and your family have been under the weather. My boys and I bought sun-reactive paper once for a fun solar science/art project but I didn't realize they sold inks to make your own! Your prints are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.