Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 22 March 2021

Lumping the grain crop - what is a bushel?

 Something entirely different today.....The summer wheat harvest is long been over in Australia. 


And now we hear on the radio each day the price of wheat - per bushel. 

What weight is a bushel I asked my husband this morning. We hear it all the time, but he didn't know either, so I went searching.... apparently bushel (abbreviation: bsh. or bu.) is an imperial and US customary unit of volume based upon an earlier measure of dry capacity. 

But how was this determined? What volume is a bushel? I discovered that the bushel weight is different for different grains. According to Rayglen Commodities there are 48 pounds of barley in a bushel, 30lbs of sunflower, 34lbs oats, 56lbs of corn, and 60lbs of wheat (36.744 bushels to the tonne of wheat). Fascinating.... confused yet? ...... you can go to the link above to read more.

At its simplest, a bushel is a unit of measurement. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the U.S. bushel was derived from the Winchester bushel, a British measurement dating back to the 15th century. At one time, farm products could be measured by how much would fit in a bushel basket.  Read more at: Kanzas Wheat - What does a bushel mean to me? 

and this.....One bushel of wheat will yield approximately 42 pounds of white flour.....One bushel yields enough flour to make 70 one-pound loaves of white bread or 90 one-pound loaves of whole-wheat bread. 

I researched further. And I found out more of the history on the South Australian Government's history page - Transporting the Crop.  

Traditionally, grain was packed in jute bags, mostly imported from India....These bags were handled manually until the end of World War 2..... Bags from the harvester were placed in heaps in the paddock for sewing.... The tops of the bags were sewn together by teams of bag-sewers using hemp twine. The bags were carried on the backs of "lumpers". 

I thought I had an old photo from my Dad of the wheat bags in the paddock, but all I could find was this one. 

The job of the lumper would have been strenuous and back-breaking work. Here is an interesting fact from Co-Operative Bulk Handling Limited. CBH Group on Faebook

 - On 9th December 2020, 93 years ago, Bill Cestrilli (pictured) established the CBH record for lumping and stacking the greatest number of wheat bags in one day. At Miling, (in the Western Australian wheatbelt north of Perth) Bill stacked a whopping 1,725 bags of wheat in eight hours - equating to 143 tonnes of grain. Not bad for a 74kg man! Here is a pic of Bill. 

I am not absolutely sure, but I think my uncle lumped wheat during the Depression in the wheatbelt. Here are another couple of pics I have borrowed from the net. 


Wheat bags were a very useful commodity, used for - veranda blinds, bed covers, stretcher bed bases, shoulder bags, rain covering, saddle blanket, room divider in a cottage, door mat, and many other uses you can read about here.... The mighty wheat bag

Below you can see a simple tent and bed base made from wheat bags which would have been typical in the wheatbelt during that era. We saw this display in a historical village in Wagin. My uncles slept on beds like this in a tent near the house throughout their youth. I think my Dad did too. We even had a "stretcher" like this at home. I remember sleeping on it once. 


To read more: 

Rayglen Commodities - Crop Bushel Weights 

Transporting the Crop. .  - South Australian Government history site 

The mighty wheat bag - Great Australian Story.com

Adelaide AZ - 1840s

Kanzas Wheat - What does a bushel mean to me? 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you and yours are well. We continue to be relatively safe from Covid here in Australia, although there are massive floods on the east coast right now, and a state of emergency has been declared in those areas. 

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
   
All Seasons
MosaicMonday at Letting Go of the Bay Leaf
Sharon's Sovenirs 
Our World Tuesday

Pictorial Tuesday 
ThroughMy Lens 
Image-in-ing
My corner of the world through my camera 
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global hosted by Randomosity. 
       and Little bird - Pienilintu
Thankful Thursday 
Der-Natur-Thursday 
The Lovin' Life Team over at: Deep Fried Fruit
 Month end link up @ Live love craft me
Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

15 comments:

  1. Wheat is the staff of life when one thinks of consumption. The cultivating of it is such backbreaking work and the dust particles derived during processing must cause health issues for some, particularly in earlier times. Feeding us creates heroes that go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have known?!?!? I loved this post, Jill! Our US home is within a quick drive of Washington State wheat fields I love watching the seasons of the wheat! xx Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting spread of photos . Happy Monday Jill. I am #11 on the linky today


    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  4. People have always been so resourceful...wheat bag tents and cots! That is interesting! Thanks for sharing these photos. I love to search the internet and find out the history of things. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we tend to like to make lots of things more complicated than they need to be here in the US! Lol. I honestly was never quite sure what a bushel was either other than some sort of unit of measure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill - very interesting. I come from a farming family (my grandparents and their ancestors) and so I always take a particular interest in all things agricultural. I think we tend to take our longevity for granted these days. In the "good old days", many occupations involved heavy physical labor - is it any wonder people didn't live past 50? Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, even though I live in the city, my family also comes from a grain growing region background, and my sister married a grain farmer. I love going there. It feels like coming home.

      Delete
  7. Golden wheat -beautiful! Before the electric farmers tools it was really backbreaking work! O wonder they did not live as long. Wow, that's a lot of flour:):) Thank you for this interesting post for All Seasons, Jill! Have a great week. Hope you did well in the weekend with the festival:) Jeah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting to know more about the bushel. I didn't know what the atual volume of a bushel was or how much bread could be made. I remember my cousin's farmhouse had the rooms divided by whitewashed bagged walls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting post!
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/03/duke-gardens-memories.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. very beautiful fields of cereals

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting, although I never thought much about bushels until you totally confused me! I can't imagine the hard labor that is required, but you do what you have to do.

    I'm happy to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another interesting fact about a Bushel... it is the volume of 8 Gallons. Hence different grains (etc) have a different weight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stumbled here but am so glad I did. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.