Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 21 December 2020

The Western Australian Christmas Tree

Hi everyone, I hope you and yours are going ok. I have a friend who is desperately trying to get home to her family in Western Australia for Christmas. I hope you will be with your loved ones this year. It would be a very sad time to be apart, especially after the year it has been, and I know that many around the world will be without a loved one. 

The Western Australian bush around where we live is alive with colour this time of year. I've blogged about it before: The trees are blooming for Christmas

The yellow of the Candlestick Banksia, the purple of the Jacarandas, the red of the Red Flowering gum, and the golden yellow-orange of the Western Australian Christmas tree - Nuytsia floribunda.  

This tree is actually the world's tallest parasitic tree. It occurs naturally only in the south west of Western Australia. Their roots parasite onto the roots of other trees or plants.

I read some astounding information about it the other day at Australian Geographic - Australia's giant parasitic Christmas Tree

"The Christmas tree is indiscriminate, stealing juice from almost anything green – grasses, sedges, carrots, weeds, vines, shrubs, eucalypts." 


Named moojar  or Kaanya Tree (kaanya, meaning recently departed soul) by the indigenous Noongar people, it has a powerful spiritual significance for the Noongar culture, who believed the spirits of ancestors rested in the branches. For this reason they stayed away from the tree, would not cut it down, and didn't disturb animals that rested under it. 

I read that it was prized for its edible roots and gum, but this may not be correct. There is an interesting web-post you can read more about this here: Anthropology from the shed - Traditional significance of the Moojar

However here is an interesting podcast which has slightly different information regarding the uses of the tree - abcmedia.esperance-Moojar tree

Up to 10 metres tall it flowers from October to January, though where I live we usually see it from early December. It is the only plant in the mistletoe family that has seeds that are wind dispersed. The flowers are a rich source of nectar for the nectar eating birds and insects for the insect eating birds.


Click here to find out some more fascinating information about this tree: ABC.net - native WA Christmas Tree

and Australian Native Nursery

A bit more information I found today:

The Sacred Mooja or WA Christmas Tree ~The Tree of Souls~
Don't Pick the Flowers!

"The Moojar tree (Nuytsia floribunda) commonly known as the Western Australian Christmas tree. The moojar was regarded as “highly spiritual” because it was associated with the spirits of the dead who according to the ‘old people’ “camped” on the branches and flowers of the tree on their way to Kurannup – the land of the ancestors across the Western ocean. They said to us: ‘We don’t like to go near this tree.’
The cultural significance of Nuytsia floribunda is well established in the early ethnohistorical records. Daisy Bates in an article in The Australasian (1926 in Bridge 1992: 150) refers to it as the “ghost tree” and in a later publication (1938) “the tree of souls.” Her Noongar informants call it the moojarr or “Kaanya Tree” (kaanya, meaning recently departed soul). Bates emphasises that this tree was sacred to all Bibbulmun people throughout southwestern Australia from Jurien Bay to the east of Esperance. She categorically states that:
‘No living Bibbulmun ever sheltered or rested beneath the shade of the tree of souls; no flower or bud or leaf of the tree was ever touched by child or adult; no game that took shelter beneath it was ever disturbed.’ (Bates 1938 in Bridge 1992: 153)"

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have enjoyed my post today about the native Western Australian Christmas tree. We enjoy seeing this splash of colour in the bush this time of year. 

For those who celebrate Christmas I wish you a very happy Christmas spent with those you love. For those without their loved ones I hope that you will be reunited soon or can be comforted by happy memories of them. I know this Christmas will be like no other, but I hope you will feel the peace and joy of Christmas. And for everyone, a safe and healthy conclusion to 2020 and a better 2021.

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  


I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

22 comments:

  1. Dear Jill,
    I am very excited about this "Christmas Tree".
    What a special tree, wonderful how you photographed it!
    The "Nature Thursday" will not open again until the beginning of 2021.
    I sincerely wish you a Merry Christmas, even if the general mood is not nice.
    Let's hope we stay healthy with our loved ones.
    ♥ Greetings from far away Germany
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beautiful isn't it - such a lovely splash of colour this time of year. Wishing you and yours a lovely Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the diversity of the plants there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the flowering trees, bushes and plants. I hope your friend makes it home and that you have a safe and Merry Christmas
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. The WA christmas tree is really beautiful and thanks for the information about it. I have seen it on our travels in southern WA. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that while we are in the dead of winter in the northern hemisphere, down south, is alive with color. Great captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos and info.
    Merry Christmas

    Much🎅love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill - another fascinating plant from your neck of the woods! Our world is very monochromatic right now, so I especially seeing the bright yellow and purple in your photos. We feel very fortunate to have our family here for Christmas, but I know many people (such as my Mom) are on their own. So sad and so isolated. Can't wait for things to return to normal! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care Angie. I think it will be a sad Christmas for so many this year.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful post and what an interesting tree! Merry Christmas wishes from Greece!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic blooming trees for Christmas!
    I am lucky and happy to be with my nearest ones for Christmas. We will be 10, exactly what we are allowed to just now.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's gorgeous!
    Thanks so much for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/12/quarantine-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, Very interesting tree! I will be alone this Christmas as we are in lock down and only allowed to be with those we live with. I saw my Mom and sister briefly yesterday in a parking lot with masks and 6 feet apart as Mom was in town for a medical appointment. I have decorated for Christmas, bought a turkey leg and yams for the big day, and followed my Advent calendar. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry you will be alone for Christmas Sylvia. At least you are still making an effort for yourself. Take care.

      Delete
  12. Had no idea that there is actually a Christmas tree. It's a splash you yellow, oh my! Thank you for introducing this tree to All Seasons. We won't be with our family, not because of lockdown, but becas\use it is a 26 hour drive. But I know they will contact us in some way:) A merry Christmas to you and yours, Jill, and your lovely blog posts wit flowers and landscapes of Australia are so much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These trees are just gorgeous and it's nice to learn more about them. Have a wonderful week! holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so beautiful and so different than anything we have here...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes a Christmas like no other is a perfect description, I hope your friend makes it to see her family. It was tough when we realised that this wasn't going to happen for us. Thank you for keeping me connected with all that is best about Australia this year - love your Aussie Christmas tree.
    Merry Christmas!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours are so intense. I really enjoy viewing your photos of your natural world. This Christmas will be very different from any other. It will be the first year not to see both of my children but that is a small price to pay for us all being safe. Merry Christmas and I look forward to reading more of your posts next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can still connect with your children and enjoy the day. It is so important to keep our familes safe.

      Delete
  17. How wonderfully colorful!

    So glad you joined us at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.