Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 18 October 2020

Down in the "bush" (the woods) this week

 I love to get out in the bush, especially when the wildflowers are out, which is why I love spring in Western Australia. 

In fact there are more than 12,000 species of wildflowers in Western Australia, making it the world's largest collection. You can see some of this amazing array over on my blog post The wildflower hunter

You will always find something flowering somewhere, whatever the season - if not it is lovely to be out in the bush anyway....


However I was a little surprised today to find that the Clematis and waterbush which was flowering in late September had completely finished when we went up to the bush in the hills east of Harvey today. Spring is slowly fading. 


But as I said, there is always something flowering and something new to discover, which was true today. 

For instance I had never realised the flowers of the Tassel flower - Leucopogon verticillatus - are in fact tiny stars - so lovely 


And that the blue Scented sun orchid - Thelymitra macrophylia - can be found here if you open your eyes. I'd never seen them here before. Beautiful aren't they. 

There were also yellow Hibbertias scattered here and there - a burst of yellow


And the little trigger plants - Stylidium - flowering everywhere in the gravel were a delight. The flowers about 15mm long. 

The trigger serves as a agent in the pollination process - when an insect lands on the flower to sip the nectar the trigger is activated depositing pollen on the back of the insect, which then visits another flower. You can read more about it here : Australian plants on line. I didn't know there are 132 known species in Australia. 
You can see the trigger before and after it has been activated in this pic here.


Here is another of the little trigger flowers - although this one is seen in a bushland reserve about 15 minutes drive from where we live - more about this place in another post to come. 


Here is the last of the Prickly Hakea - Hakea amplexicaulis - 


And if there is nothing flowering there are always leaves and bracken fern Pteridium esculentum - a terrestrial native fern

or gum leaves - even dried ones are great subjects 



Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have enjoyed this little wander in the bush today. 

I also hope you and your familes are safe and doing well in these difficult times. It is so important to get out and walk and do something you enjoy don't you think. I still have another 2 weeks in my cast and am looking forward to being free again. Typing one handed is s slow! In the meantime. I am grateful to my old model point and shoot that is allowing me to continue taking photos. 

What are you doing to keep staying healthy and positive? Perhaps you would like to share in your comments. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  

You might also like: 
Photographing wildflowers

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

28 comments:

  1. Jill - I feel as though I have been on a walk in the bush with you. You have a keen eye, and I know we would get on like a house on fire if we were out wildflower hunting together! I think my favorite is the blue-scented sun orchid, although the trigger plants are also very intriguing. The hubby and I are on a road trip right now; even though it is hard to call it a 'vacation' when we are retired, it is nice to be away from our regular responsibilities! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the tiny details in the wildflowers you see. Hope you heal completely and get to do the things you like to do. The weather here is nice now so we are trying to hike every other day. If I was younger...I would go out every day! lol But we see a lot and always some different. I love being out in nature and always enjoy your photos. Take care and heal up! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take lovely photos. Those trigger plants/flowers are very pretty and interesting. What a nice place to walk! I love the burst of yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, if you wouldn't have written about the lockdown, I would not have known it. Nature is a great comfort in these times! Am happy for you that the end is in sight for your cast:):) the blue orchid, the tiny red flowers, the tassel flower, and the prickly hakea are all wonderfully captured! Many thanks for your beautiful post at All Seasons.Have a comfortable week, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sun orchids and the ferns! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun orchid is a beautiful shade of blue. Your photography has allowed us to share some of your amazing spring wildflowers. Walking is my way of keeping sane during these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos, Jill. Thank you for joining us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/10/at-aquarium.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful walk and finding beautiful photos. I'll trade you any day because our Fall hasn't been the warmest; actually more like mild winter days. I've already been cooped up too long with the Covid era so am trying to go more. Happy Tuesday. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the greatest joys of life :) I also love to walk in the nature, especially in spring time. The trigger flowers really are cool!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing how many different flowers and bushes there are?! Always something new to see and some small treasure to find.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did so enjoy seeing the tiny details of your bush walk, the little things most of us would miss. The dried gum leaves just took my breath away. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post ! I must say you have some incredible collection of plants especially loved the blue sun orchid .
    It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening where you can share about plants and flowers here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/10/garden-affair-coral-jasmine.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jill - lovely photos. My husband has just returned from walking the Northcliffe to Walpole section of the Bibbulmun Track and he had lots of shots of wildflowers in full bloom - a lovely contrast to all the native trees and bushes along the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. something which has been on my bucket list for years!

      Delete
  14. Bei euch verblasst der Frühling und bei uns ist es Herbst. Wie unterschiedlich doch die Farben sind.
    L G Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. translate - Spring is fading for you and autumn for us. How different the colors are.

      Delete
  15. Such beautiful photos and I never / rarely see wildflowers and tend to forget how lovely they are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another post of amazing bits of Aussie! I hope to get there one day!

    Many thanks for your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant post and photos Jill. Wildflowers have a unique beauty and most us miss this joy of knowing them. I find them very interesting. Their shape, color and science that they adopt in their day to day life is are so amazing. Every flower you have shared is a beauty and I cannot make a pick on my favorite ...... because they all are ����

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicate blooms and abundant green. Today, it's white and gloomy here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We photo bloggers on the other side of this planet are Lucky to get to celebrate another Spring through your beautiful posts. A wonderful hike with sweet discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that when I see snow posts from the northern hemisphere - as we don't have snow here! and they always come in mid summer!

      Delete
  20. What a lovely walk you took us on. Love seeing all the wildflowers. I spend much time in my garden and with my pets, and that keeps me fairly positive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I enjoyed the shown nature. It must be fantastic. I wished, I could visiting this area. Its a dream.

    Stay healthy and well. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it when you go bush. The wildflowers are incredible in your part of Australia. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing such blog please keep updating with these informative articles would love to read more.

    Same Day Flower Delivery Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.