Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 11 May 2020

Don't think you are alone

Hi everyone, how are you? I hope you and your families are ok. 

It was Mother's Day here on Sunday - was it for you too?  A little different this year as many families were not able to physically come together with their mothers due to social distancing and our internal border restrictions. People found innovative ways to connect. Evidently florists were sold out! Lucky for me, both my sons live close by, so we were able to enjoy a meal together.


In Australia our numbers of virus cases remains low, and next Monday some of the restrictions are being eased in the hopes of getting the economy moving again. I am hesitant for this to happen, and hope that cases will not rise as a result. Slowly slowly.

One of the sad things about the Virus is the increasing cases of domestic violence and suicide. I sadly lost a friend to suicide last year. It was a terrible shock. Judging by the hundreds who attended her funeral, she was much loved and respected by many. She was a person who was always smiling, always helping, always including others, and belonged to many groups. However below that shiny veneer there must have been a vulnerable soul. 

It was so sad and tragic that she didn't think there was anyone she could have rung in those moments before she made that fatal decision. 

A few years ago the son of a close friend nearly took his life, but at the last minute he rang his sister, who was beside him in minutes. He is now living a fulfilling life. I remember how helpless his parents felt, not knowing what he had been going through. 

 Suicide is not the answer. Think of those you are leaving behind. They wouldn't want you to take this path. There will always be someone who will help you. They might not be able to see what you are going through. You need to open up. Make that call. Reach out. Asking for help is not a weekness. There is strength in knowing, accepting and asking for help.
So my message today is:

Reach out - you don't have to feel alone - there is always someone who will help you.


Here is my Covid photo a day collage for this past week


Monday 4th May 2020 - a wild storm is brewing outside- a good time to just sit with a book and listen to music


Tuesday 5th May 2020 - the rain and wind hits - battering the garden and ripping apart the last of my rose blooms. It was an awful night as I lay in bed listening to the wind raging outside.


Wednesday 6th May 2020 - the ocean is wild after the storm. There are trees and branches down everywhere and many people have lost fences or parts of roofs. We were lucky and came out of it relatively unscathed.


Thursday 7th May 2020 - a silver lining to Covid restrictions and my bung ankle - I have started sketching again - I haven't done this for years. And I have been experimenting with making paints from leaves and flowers. Not botanically correct drawing and colours and I have a long way to go, but I am enjoying it.


 Friday 8th May 2020 - we went out to my son's small acreage and cleared up some trees that had fallen down in the storm. I sat and took photos and sketched in my sketch book.
These are Western Australian peppermint tree leaves. 


Saturday 9th May 2020 - Paella for dinner - not as good as made by my Spanish friend Mon who taught me to make paella, but delicious. 


Sunday 10th May 2020 - we had a picnic at Wellington Dam. The water is low, but winter will be here soon. A group of Splendid Wrens were flitting around our table looking for crumb. They move so quick I was thrilled to get this half decent shot. 


How has your week been? I hope you and your family are doing well. 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful and sensitive post! Thank you and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you in Australia, moving into winter with this virus, is more foreboding than for us who are in spring, moving to summer. Here the reversal of the restrictions are left up to the individual states, Wow, now finally some governors (heads of each state) are exposed, as little nazi's. Fortunately, people begin to be fed up and there are many protests going one. In general I don't stand behind defying orders, but this needs to be, because it will end in a disaster of the economy, and as you say an increase of depression and suicide, ad addiction.
    sorry, your roses were wrecked by the weather. Love your happy Mothers Day sign! Keep strong and healthy, Jesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your eucalyptus sketch. I used to love my biology and botany journals. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peppermint leaves look similar to eucalyptus, I didn't know that. I like what you said, Jill, about reaching out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - yes, it was Mother's Day in the US as well, and although I could not be with my kids, I enjoyed my day with breakfast on the deck, calls from my kids, and working in my garden. So sorry to hear about your friend that committed suicide. Many years ago, a former boyfriend of mine hung himself - he was a gregarious person, and surrounded by people all the time. Hard to see how we could all have missed what he was feeling.

    Glad you are finding an opportunity to stretch your artistic talents! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my friend! Belated Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo of the wren from your outing and good that you had a nice Mother's Day too. My children live reasonably close too, and I feel for mothers who haven't got family close by, but a phone call is probably the next best thing and it's always good to hear from family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sketches are wonderful and your post impactful. Sadly, folks suffering from deep depression often only see a blank wall or pain in their futures and can’t and/or won’t reach out. Sometimes they feel ashamed of their own suffering so stay silent. This reminds me of a young beautiful health care worker in the US, helping COVID patients, who took her own life. Even in hopelessness, there is a chance for change but that is hard to envision until after the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that is so sad to hear Penelope. It must be so awful for our health care workers dealing with this every day.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the spike in domestic violence and suicide. Even people not prone to violence seem to be on a short string. We need to pull together!
    I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/05/a-surprise-visitor.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are doing a lot of bird watching now!!!! I post birds and garden shots on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes so true regarding domestic violence and suicide. I've been wondering how the many people with mental health issues are coping with this as well.....especially those that are very alone at home. And of course just being alone at home can bring on those issues too.
    Your sketches are lovely - well done for making your own pigments too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great words of encouragement. Your photos are lovely and it looks like you're keeping busy!

    Your corner is beautiful this week! Thanks for sharing it at the 'My Corner of the World' link up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sketches are amazing.
    I'm so sorry about your friend. So many suffer in silence.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade
    https://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com/2020/05/mothers-day-mosaic-monday.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful shots and words of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, This is such a hard topic. So sad for everyone left behind. Yes, please reach out!! If you're out there reading this and need help, please reach out.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.