Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Peace in a country church - Mourambine, Western Australia

There is a peace and calm that seems to surround small country churches. They are a place of sanctuary. A place to sit in quiet contemplation.

Over the Easter weekend we visited the St Patricks Anglican church in Mourambine during our return drive home from a few days staying with our family in the central Western Australian wheatbelt.

This church holds a place in our family history.

It sits on a small rise overlooking undulating grain fields which are drying golden in summer and sprouting green and fresh in winter.


The town of Mourambine developed around 1860 and the townsite gazetted in 1884, but it has disappeared over the years - it's fate sealed when the railway line came to nearby Pingelly in 1889. All that remains of Mourambine now is the church and its small cemetery, the rectory (now a farmer's home), the old inn (also now a home) and the house where my father lived between 1939 and 1942. He has told us many stories of his life there. 

 To keep reading and see more pics, please click on "read more" .....



"At the end of 1939 we left the farm at Kulyalling when it was sold after the death of my Grandfather. We moved to Mourambine six miles east of Pingelly. The house was built around 1872. It had two main rooms with walls 18 inches thick made of local stone. There was a veranda all the way around with the kitchen on one corner and bedrooms on the other corners. Originally the house was built with a thatched roof, but had an iron roof when we were there. Over a hundred years on the house is still lived in and is now Heritage listed."  - Norman Lesley Clayden


Entering the gate of the church, the path is flanked by two large olive trees. I seem to recall that  read somewhere years ago that these were planted by the Benedictine monks from the New Norcia Monastery north of Perth.  A simple bell hangs between two tall uprights in the church yard.


A sheltered alcove protects the heavy wooden door.  The church was built from local stone and was consecrated by Bishop Hale. in 1873.


The rows of dark wooden pews face towards the alter at the far end, a simple wooden cross stands on the window sill, there are three stained glass windows also of simple design, and on the side walls are glass lamps. My father told me that his grandmother played the organ for the church services. Church services are still held here and my Dad noticed on the weekend that they had new hymn books. 


In the church yard lie pioneers of the district - including my grandparents (Frederick Robert & Roma Clayden nee Fairhead - my father's mother and father) and my great grandparents (George and Florence Fairhead (nee McBurney - my grandmother's parents), and many other members of his family, including our ancestor, my great great grandparents - James Fairhead arrived in Western Australia on the ship Pyrenees, as a convict in 1853. He was given Ticket of Leave on 1 May 1853, pardoned 15 September 1855, acquired land in Beverley in 1880, married Mary Welsh 1 December 1859 and fathered twelve children. 

Note 2023 - I have been trying to find out information about Mary Welsh - how did she come to be in Australia and marry James - but up till now I have not been able to find anything, note even a photograph. I need to do more research. 



 


You can read information from the State Heritage Council about the church here - State Heritage WA - Mourambine Church

Here is the church again which I have processed with a texture

   

Below is another little lonely church in the wheatbelt near Mt Stirling south of Kellerberin.....abandoned now....but still peaceful....


Are there any little churches that you feel a connection with?

Thanks for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week. And for those of you who celebrate Easter, I wish you blessings.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, What's It Wednesday, and Oh the Places I've Been. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!   


Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been



You might also like.............

From beach to wheatbelt - a tribute 
Exploring the Western Australian wheatbelt 
Western Australian central wheatbelt


39 comments:

  1. I think it is always special to visit places with family history. And I agree about the peace and serenity that exists in the old churches. I love visiting them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful building

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stunning shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this visit was quite special. The church is small and beautiful.
    Churches do inspire reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a quaint little place. At least, its history is not lost. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very interesting place to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stone buildings. How lovely for you to have such an intimate connection. Is the Church open on a daily basis or only when there is a service?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Life Images by Jill" has been included in Friday's Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/04/fridays-sites-to-see_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like little country churches, and that you have such a connection to this town makes the story extra interesting. I really like the view from the front where it's sheltered by trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the way you've captured the character of these churches. I am always so taken with the construction, the design and decoration of these places of worship that have transcended through the decades. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill, it's great that even though the town disappeared the church and the cemetery still remained - and your father's house, too! What a great history your family has. It must be a powerful feeling visiting the town and seeing a trace of your root. I love the church - it looks so intimate and peaceful. The abandoned church looks peaceful indeed. I bet it has a lot of story to tell as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jill, This is such a beautiful post. I have long been fascinated by small churches, but there is always such mystery surrounding them. I've enjoyed reading this post which is brought to life by your family's historical links and your thoughtful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jill,
    I have a lot of family history connected with this church my Great x 5 grandparents were very involed William and Mary Ingram ,they are both buried alongside the church.
    beautiful pics .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by and commenting. I will look for William and Mary's graves next time we are there.

      Delete
    2. Hi they are also my great great grandparents would love to know who posted from Geraldton

      Delete
  14. Hi Jill, what wonderful pictures and info,
    I have two relatives buried at Mourambine
    William Atkins (died 1902) and his daughter Frances (died 1876. William and his wife Ellen Taylor married in the Mourambine Church (1875)
    Hope its not too much to ask but would you mind getting a pic of their gravesites for me?
    My mother was born in Pingelly in 1920,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maree, lovely to hear from you. I am not sure when I will be in Mourambine again as it is about 3 hours from where I live. It is such a lovely little church. I will try to remember to look for your family graves and take a photo for you next time I am up that way. I wonder if my father knew your mother - what was her name?

      Delete
    2. My great GG grandfather William Ingram's Cottage is behind the Atkins homestead

      Delete
    3. Hi Beverly their my great great grandparents aswell.im Robert Higgins daughter.

      Delete
    4. Hi unknown, I’m Robert Higgins half sister, claude Higgins was my father.

      Delete
    5. My mother was Dorothy Atkins, her parents were Ernest and Everal (Nee Watts)
      Our family history also claims our William Atkins as building the church and being a lay preacher there.
      Another William Hawkins who for some reason went by the Atkins name also claim same. married there under the Hawkins name and had children with that surname, not sure when they adopted the Atkins name. The William Atkins buried there is my Great Grandfather. he died at Westbrook his widow remarried to Samuel Wise.
      Louisa Atkins buried there was his daughter,

      Delete
  15. He also put down the Ingrams well in Pingelly my great great grandparents along with Higgins family also Helena Higgins aged six years old is buried in the church yard cemetary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly. Who was Helena Higgins. I'm Robert Higgins daughter in Canberra thanks.

      Delete
    2. My gd grandfather's daughter aged 6 she died from burns

      Delete
  16. I have just read your story on the above. I had two Great Great Grandfathers who were one of first settlers in that area.
    Their names were John Patricks Higgins and William Ingram - both convicts. Both helped build St Patricks Church and many other dwellings in and around Pingelly and Mourambine. By father’s cousin produced a family history of all of the descendants. We all have a copy of that book. It is sad, but I have not visited the towns - I intend to do that very soon.
    Thank you for your wonderful story.

    Jennifer Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fascinating connections with this tiny place in the wheatbelt. And such history!

      Delete
    2. Hi yes we are related Lesley did the family book be great to meet

      Delete
    3. Jenifer Riley I'm in that book and Patrick Higgins is my great grandfather claude Clement Higgins was his son my grandfather your father must be my dad's cousin what's your dad's name

      Delete
    4. Jennifer Riley, I would love to see that book!

      Delete
    5. I also have the family tree book by my cousin Lesley Lane

      Delete
  17. Mary anne Welsh is my grandmother. And Ingram cottage was built by my great great grandparents I'm a Higgins. Thankyou for your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Walsh was your grandmother? We muat be related. I'm trying to find information about her.

      Delete
  18. My grandparents graves are also there. Jock & Daisy Duncan. We scattered some of my fathers & mothers ashes on the 7th June 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My great grandfather, William [Hawkins] ATKINS who was a convict and arrived in Western Australia in 1862, built St Patricks Church in Mourambine and was the first to marry there in 1873. He was also responsible for many buildings in Mourambine including Atkins Cottage.

    He married Mary Ann GOODENOUGH. She was the daughter of another convict, James GOODENOUGH, who arrived in 1858. Mary Ann, her sister Elizabeth and their mother, Mary Dell, arrived in 1862.

    William and Mary raised 9 children. The eldest, William, died of typhoid fever, aged 20 in 1897. Another son, Frederick, was killed in WW1 in 1916. The youngest daughter, Eva, never married. The remaining 6 married and all had families.

    William died in Narrogin Hospital in 1926 and is buried in Narrogin Cemetery. Mary died in 1935 and is buried in the churchyard at Mourambine as are both her parents James and Mary GOODENOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  20. William Ingram was the stone mason who helped build the church I believe Ingram's cottage parts remain my great great grandfather did Ingram's Well in Pingelley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes she is was married to John Patrick Higgins I've sent you a pm

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, Ive just read your comments. I too am related to James Fairhead and Mary Welsh. The are my 2 x Great Grandparents. Their son Ephraim, His daughter Myrtle Irene, then my father Eric Blight and me. I would be ever so grateful to find a photo of James and Mary too. We have nothing in our family photos that I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many memory's, great to see born in Pingelly good to see

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.