Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 29 January 2024

Australia Day - I am, You Are, We Are Australian


Friday 26 January was Australia Day -
Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Observed annually on 26 January, it marks the 1788 landing of the First Fleet and the raising of the Union Flag of Great Britain by Captain Arthur Phillip at Sydney Cove, a small bay on the southern shore of Sydney Harbour.

In present-day Australia, the government Australia Day Council organises events that seeks to recognise the contributions of Australians to the nation, while also encouraging reflection on past wrongs including towards Indigenous Australians and also giving respect and celebrating the diversity and achievements of Australian society past and present                 wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Day

There has been a great deal of controvosy, discussions and protests over the last few years about whether we should be celebrating on 26 January - the indiginous people of Australia claiming it to be "Ïnvasion Day" and wanting to change the date.

I won't buy into this debate here. I am proudly fourth generation Australian on both sides of my family - both early free settlers and convicts, those who fought and died for their country, battled the Depression, cleared and farmed the land, worked hard for what we have. No matter what colour, religion, or nationality we are, we are all an important part of what makes this country a wonderful place to live. We should celenrate this.


Instead I will share of song with you, which I think says it all.

Aunt Stella Floyed, possibly at the time of Federation

I am, you are, we are all Australian.
I AM AUSTRALIAN.
(1987 - by Bruce Woodley, The Seekers and Dobe Newton, The Bushwackers)
I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame I stood upon the rocky shore I watched the tall ships come For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.
I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains.
.I cleared the land, endured the lash
and waited for the rains.
Great Great Grandfather James Fairhead
arrived Australia 1853
I'm a settler. I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run,
A convict then a free man
I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger
who sought the mother lode, The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road

I'm a child of the depression
I saw the good times come I'm a bushy, I'm a battler I am Australian

Great Grandmother & Grandfather Floyed 1887
Great Grandfather born in Australia 1858 






[chorus] We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian I am, you are, we are Australian.

I'm a teller of the stories
I'm a singer of the songs
I am Albert Namatjira I paint the ghostly gums


Great Uncle Norman Clayden, died Gallipoli, WW1
I am Clancy on his horse I'm Ned Kelly on the run I'm the one who waltzed Matilda I am Australian.

I'm the hot wind from the desert I'm the black soil of the plains I'm the mountains and the valleys I'm the drought and flooding rains.
I am the rock, I am the sky The rivers when they run The spirit of this great land I am Australian
[chorus] We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on earth we come We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian I am, you are, we are Australian.

And below from You Tube an inspiring rendition of this song.


You might also like -


Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Australia Day Fireworks

13 comments:

  1. Australian anthem does rekindle the patriotic spirit. Nice fireworks there too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sentiment, choosing unity and celebration despite the complexities of Australia's history. Thank you for sharing the inspiring song and reminding us of what binds Australians together. We in India also celebrate Republic Day on January 26th, adding to the significance of this date for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah! I learnt something today. Now I know why there was a group of people at the fireworks with an Indian flag - a dual celebration! Happy republic Day!

      Delete
  3. Happy Australia Day Jill! Beautiful images!
    Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I hope that you had a wonderful celebration.🇦🇺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you've written about your history...your family and the ties you have in your country. I've learned so much about Australia from reading your blog. We finally bought a travel trailer and I did a post about it if you get a chance to visit. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been fascinated by Australia and still hope to make it there one day. Thanks for sharing your photos each week at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/01/and-few-street-scenes-from-paray-le.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post about your country. Of all that I would have liked to have visited in my life, Australia always sounds so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a wonderful Australian Day ~ wonderful and fascinating post about your beautiful country ~ and its history ~ thanks, ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's time to comment...

    Your post is a feast for the eyes in so many ways. A very welcome change to break up the dull January with interesting pictures and posts. Think I have a CD of didgeridoo music here at home. Australia was and still is a dream destination of mine.

    Congratulations on the memorial day and Thanks for your contribution to
    MosaicMonday

    Best regards,
    Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Valentine's Day, here. I hope you enjoy something sweet today. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.