Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Tuesday 18 July 2023

Experimenting with wet cyanotype

 Hi everyone. I hope you and yours are doing well. Last December I blogged about the basics for Cyanotype printing. ie using the sun to do prints. If you missed it you can take a look here - Cyanotype sun prints - how to - the basics


I am certainly not an expert and there are lots of llinks on the net to learn more. 
Recently I have started experimenting with wet cyanotype. 


You start with the same mixture. These 2 bottles that you can buy from a craft store or online. They come as a powder in the bottle which you mix in the bottle with water, and then seal till you are ready to use. Then mix a small amount of equal proportions in a dish and paint onto your paper. (only mix the amount you need as it will not keep once mixed)

In the dry cyanotype method you paint the mixutre onto your paper and then leave the paper to dry in a dark place. Then store in a dark container till ready to use. 

In the wet cyanotype method you use the papers straight away while still wet. When first painted on the paper is yellow. It changes colour when exposed to the sunlight - first turning bronze. 

You want a paper than can withstand soaking. I use a printmakers paper. You could also use watercolour paper. Try different papers. 

You can use just about anything for the print - leaves, flowers, seaweed, feathers, lace, string - anything really. Where the piece lays will be white. I have found narrower pieces better, expecially if I am making prints which I will use for greeting cards. 


You can experiment by spraying onto your paper vinegar, soap suds, and sprinkling with paprika, tumeric, salt - then lay on your leaves and your glass. You can put wet crumpled plastic wrap over the glass for an extra effect - I keep reusing the same plastic. 

Have your paper on a stiff board, and clip your glass onto the board all around to get a firm contact. Glass from an old picture frame is great for this. I really should tape the edges of my glass. Or your could use perspex. Then put out in the sun and watch the magic happen. Depending on the strgth of the sun leave for half an hour to 2-3 hours - longer if it is a cloudy day.  Some people leave it outside for hours. 


Then the paper is rinsed in water for a few minutes and left to dry. 

Here are the results of some of my experiments with wet cyanotype. The yellow is from the tumeric. I know I have a lot to learn and so many more things I want to try. Experimenting with wet cyanotype is so much fun! 



 


Here are some links where you can learn from artists so much more proficient than me. Their artwork is so beautiful and inspiring. -  and a little video by Marianne Priest





Jacquard products.com/cyanotype

Thank you so much for stopping by. Have you tried cyanotype? Perhaps you would like to tell us about it in your comments. If you haven't I hope I have inspired you to give it a go. 

I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

5 comments:

  1. The results are stunning. I enjoy seeing your work as you experiment with many different methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this type of technique before. These turn out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks such a fun technique to experiment with it's like magic seeing what appears! Happy creating.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.