Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 6 December 2021

Easy gluten-free dairy-free fruity-nut slice

 It looks like Christmas is quickly creeping up on us. Are you prepared? Have you bought your supplies? Have you put up your Christmas tree? I would actually say no to all of these questions, though I have started to make a few preparations - but I am sure there is lots more to do. But to be kind to myself I have been busy the last few weeks getting ready for a Christmas market, and that was taking up my energy, but now that is done I need to get moving. 

Today I have a recipe for you. It is not actually a Christmas cooking recipe but it really could be with all those cranberries, dried apricots, mixed fruit and nuts.  It is gluten-free and dairy-free (not nut free) and so so easy and yummy. 

The recipe is from We are So Vegan - Homemade Energy Bars

I have made a few little changes which you can see in italics below. 

Homemade Energy Bars 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1 cup almonds - I cut them in half - or use any nuts you like
  • 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats (hulled buckwheat) - I couldn't get the buckwheat groats so I used half cup of plain flour (as I wasn't worried about gluten free) - but you could use a gluten free flour. 
  • 1/2 cup raisins - I used half a cup of mixed fruit 
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup soft dried apricots - soak in hot water about half to one hour
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup - I used Golden Syrup 
  • 1/4 cup water

Method

1.            Preheat oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and line a 7” x 7” square tin with baking paper - I used a 30cm (12 inch) x22cm (9 inch) slab tin

  1. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Spread the oats, pumpkin seeds and almonds evenly across the tray, then roast for 10 minutes. I didn't do this and result was fine
  2. Meanwhile, put the apricots, maple syrup and water in a blender and blend into a smooth paste. Note: if you are struggling to blend the ingredients add an extra splash of water. The paste should be super smooth otherwise the bars might not hold together and might crumble. For this step I soaked the apricots in hot water for about half an hour and then blended 
  3. Remove the baking tray from the oven and transfer the oats, pumpkin seeds and almonds to the large mixing bowl and give everything a good mix. Leave the oven turned on.
  4. Transfer the apricot mixture to a mixing bowl, along with the buckwheat groats, raisins and cranberries
  1. Transfer the mixture to the lined tin. Smooth over the top using a piece of baking paper, pushing the mixture down as you go to make sure its compact (this will prevent the bars falling apart when you slice them later on). Bake for 20 minutes.
  2. Remove the tin from the oven and leave to cool completely. Note: the energy bars might crumble if you try to slice them before they have cooled completely.
  3. Take the mixture out of the tin and slice into 10 energy bars - or just slice into the size pieces you want. 

Recipe notes:

  1.          The apricots and maple syrup help glue all the ingredients together, while bringing a lovely sweetness to the bars.
  2.          Make sure you blend the apricots into a thick paste. If you’re struggling to reach the correct consistency, add a splash more water.
  3.          Leave the bars to cool fully before slicing them, otherwise they might crumble!
  4.       Press down as much as possible on the mixture in the tin, which will help compact the ingredients so the bars don’t fall apart.


You will find a few other Christmas recipes over on my blog: A little bit of Christmas baking

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

MosaicMonday at Letting Go of the Bay Leaf
Sharon's Sovenirs 
Our World Tuesday
Pictorial Tuesday 
ThroughMy Lens 
Image-in-ing
My corner of the world through my camera 
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global hosted by Randomosity. 
       and Little bird - Pienilintu
Thankful Thursday 
Welcome to Nature Thursday
The Lovin' Life Team over at: Deep Fried Fruit

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

10 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds wonderful! We don't have maple syrup here and when we do find it, it is like buying gold, so wonder if honey might work as well? Will definitely keep this one in my file!! Happy Holidays, Jill, to you and yours ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't buy maple syrup either. Yes honey would work well I would think. It is just a binder and sweetener.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! My son has recently started a gluten free diet. Maybe I'll make this for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those energy bars look yummy. I need to try this recipe. Looks healthy and good. Would love to be at the market seeing your beautiful handmade things! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you have added your own hints and helpful comments to the recipe. It sounds easy enough even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe! And thanks for sharing your post at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/12/the-blacksmiths-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill - looks delicious! I have put up Christmas decorations, and mailed all my cards. In the next couple of days, we hope to put up the tree. I also hope to make some gingerbread men with my son - it is one of our traditions! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.