Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Wednesday 11 July 2018

Oranges and Lemons - Wintery July in Western Australia

"Oranges and lemons say the Bells of St Clements"


This post has nothing to do with the nursery rhyme and it's rather sinister background, but the oranges and lemons growing in my garden did bring the nursery rhyme to my mind, 
 and then coincidentally the little girl, Ivory, in the book that I am reading -  Kate Morton's "The Forgotten Garden" - was singing this rhyme in the hidden garden in the chapter that I have just read. 

Have you read it? It is a fascinating story with each chapter set in different years - 1900 - 1913, 1930, 1975, 2005 - and following the lives of several women who are woven together by a family secret - Nell (whose actual name is Ivory), Rose, Elisa and Cassandra. Mostly set in Cornwall, the earlier chapters are set in Brisbane and London. When Cassandra's grandmother Nell (Ivory) dies Cassandra discovers she has inherited a cottage in Cornwall. Cassandra travels to Cornwall to find out the true identity of Nell and why she was left sitting alone on the wharf in Brisbane in 1913 with a suitcase containing a book of fairy tales. I love these sort of books that flit between characters and times.  
I would love this book to come out as a movie!

If you would like to learn more about Kate and the inspiration for her books, go here - Kate Morton


 How about meeting on the porch with friends? French marmalade on bread. Delicious.



It is winter here in Australia, and a lovely time to be curled up with a book, especially if it is cold and raining outside.


But we have beautiful clear blue sky days too, when the air is crisp and the sun is deliciously warm.  Perfect for getting outside. And lets face it, in winter, we need all the sunshine and Vitamin D we can get.

These sunny days are perfect weather to spend time in the garden. The bees on my yellow daisy bush were enjoying my garden too. A few last yellow rose buds are hanging on, the last of the grape vine leaves are ready to drop, the spring bulbs are pushing up, and I planted out some new herb plants.

And with an abundance of lemons on our tree this time of year it is a great time to make lemon meringue pie and lemon butter - both are family favourites.



These crisp winter days are a great time go for a walk and after the crowds of Europe it has been lovely to get out in the bush and enjoy the peace and the fresh air.

We went walking in the Myalup 100 Acre Wood which I had known about for a while but hadn't visited. Whilst there is nothing spectacular about this walk, it does take you along relatively easy sandy tracks through a variety woodland to the beach, and during spring I am sure there would be lovely displays of wildflowers. There are a couple of different trails which are marked with coloured posts. You access the walks from Reading Road, where you will see a map at the information shelter.

This are Cockies Tongues - Templetonia retusa - which we saw along the trail.

 It was nearly lunch time by the time we finished our stroll, so we drove a few kilometres up the road to The Crooked Carrot Cafe. We have passed this cafe many times on the way to and from Perth, and there are always cars there, but we had never stopped in. We enjoyed a delicious lunch. There are various sitting areas ranging from inside, to the patio, to outside. There is also a fabulous children's playground. This is a great place to stop on the way south.


We also went up to the bush with our grandkids. The water bush, which you can see in this first picture will be flowering soon. Noodle Cups made a easy lunch for us.


This morning it was a perfect morning to walk around the Leshenault Inlet in town, finishing with a coffee at the new cafe at Koombana Bay just along from the new children's playground which opened earlier this year.  It is school holidays so there were lots of families enjoying the playground.


Another walk close to home is along the shady Cathedral Avenue at Australind beneath the old paperbark trees and beside the Lescheanult Estuary.  There were lots of black swans on the water, but I couldn't get close enough to take a descent photo. We are lucky to have a number of walks close to home 

Last weekend our son and daughter-in-law were doing some work out at their small acreage which they recently purchased.  They invited us out for roast dinner cooked in their camp oven on the hot coals. The kids enjoyed their swing tree and the kangaroos were curious to see what we were up to. By the size of her lower belly, I am fairly sure she must have had a joey in her pouch.

 Unfortunately on one of our walks my small Canon G11 go-everywhere camera decided it didn't want to focus anymore, then the lens wouldn't retract, and it stopped working altogether. I've had this camera for a long time, and it has been repaired for a similar thing previously in 2014, but it has been a great little camera for when I don't want to haul my "big" DSLR camera. So now I am waiting to find out if if can be repaired. If not I think I might buy one of the new mirrorless cameras. Do you know anything about mirrorless cameras? I would be interested to know if you have one what you think of them.

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

You might also like:
Paperbark Walk, Cathedral Avenue, Australind 
Leschenault Inlet, Bunbury 
Bushwalking at Hoffmans Mill, Harvey 
 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
Life in Reflection

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

If you are a blogger you can also link your blog to Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global. 





25 comments:

  1. What an enjoyable post!
    That lemon meringue pie looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. . .so easy going in subject matter that I felt as though we were sitting and chatting. As our temperatures reach the mid-90F's this week I am thinking your winter looks mighty pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your summer, though I am not sure about the temperatures, looks mighty fine too!

      Delete
  3. I love your photos Jill - they make me see old things with new eyes, and they bring to life places which perhaps have become a little dusty in my mind. How gorgeous you make our winter sound, and so very Hygge :) I'd also like to read that Kate Morton book - love her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just read it has been around for 10 years! I feel quite remiss in never having read it. A new book is due out soon.

      Delete
  4. Hello Jill, wonderful collection of images. The pie looks delicious. The flowers and blooms are beautiful. I would like the Cathedral Ave walk. I love the kangaroo photo. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your winters look so wonderful compared to our very cold and harsh winters in Finland. Luckily we have summer now. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy all your images - and thanks for the Kate Morton info. I've read all of her books but seem to have skipped this one. Headed to the library to find a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess this was my first Kate Morton book - so now I will be going to my library to find more! happy reading!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures! Can imagine the camp oven adds great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it did. I think the key is having hot coals from a fire that has been on for a few hours.

      Delete
  8. I am always amazed by the unusual plant life from what I have here in Oregon. I do hope your camera can be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still waiting to hear about my camera. I will contact him next week to see what is going on. In the meantime I've been checking out the new mirrorless cameras....:)

      Delete
  9. Awesome to have oranges at the ready from a tree. Thanks for the book information. Will have to check it out and see if at the local library. Thanks for sharing with Pictorial Tuesday.

    Peabea from Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful images. Thanks for sharing. #teamlovinlife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are all so lovely! I got a Sony mirrorless camera a year ago and haven't used my heavy DSLR since. I think the quality of photo is just as good, maybe better. It's lighter, so I have far fewer blurry photos (or the focus is better?). The kit lens didn't work for me (not enough range) so I did get a wide angle -- zoom lens, which makes the camera heavier, of course. It's perfect for travels, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, thanks so much for your insight about the Sony cameras. There are so many choices out there it is confusing, and we really don't know how goo they are till we have actually got them in our hands. I am looking for an everyday camera, but also for city travel so I don't need to take my bulky DSLR, so I definelty think the mirrorless are the way to go, I just have to decide which one! I guess it comes down to price...as always! Thanks Sharon. Happy travels.

      Delete
  12. That nursery rhyme does bring back childhood memories for me of playing with my friends and singing this rhyme. I love citrus fruits and I'm always a sucker for an orange almond cake or lemon tart. I love the tangy taste. I have read all of Kate Morton's books as she lives locally in Queensland. She is a very talented author and I think she might even have a new book out that I haven't read yet. You certainly have been making the most of the winter months. #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved seeing all the places you've been to recently, you certainly have some beautiful countryside to explore and enjoy. Thanks for taking the MM crowd along with you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm...lemon meringue pie. That's sound delicious. I haven't had a good one in a long time. It sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah the lemon meringue pie has to be home made with fresh picked lemons from our own tree to be good. Mine are always so delicious everyone wants a second piece! :)

      Delete
  15. I loved that book too and will follow the link to learn more about it. Hope your camera gets fixed! Don't know about the new ones! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that little basket tray with your toast and tea. I'm overdue for my breakfast. I'm off to have toast and jam! #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh it looks beautiful around your home ... and your son and DIL's farm too .... can' only imagine kangaroos in my yard! (Our 'kids' out in the country get deer occasionally.) The pie sounds amazingly good. I like books that skip around in time too -- this one goes on my list...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jill, I love my G11. I have had it since 2011 and it has performed marvelously! I hope it can be repaired. I love the walks you described and the roast dinner. Yum! I will check out the book as it sounds like one I would love. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.