Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 9 March 2014

Summer plum galette

A few weeks ago a friend brought me a huge bag of plums fresh picked from an orchard - firm, with a sweet-sharp taste - delicious.  

(I had a bit of a problem with the on-line photo editor this morning) so I made this collage free hand in Photoshop Elements. I didn't realise you could drag different pics into one image in Elements - but it worked ok)


I decided to make a plum tart. I had seen a few blog posts recently about "galette" which is a French term for a rustic free form tart, so I decided to make one.  It really is a simple pie to make and you can use just about any sort of fruit, or make a savoury galette. 

Please click on "read more" to keep reading and see more pics! see you there!


 

Here is Baking Bites.com's description  -   What is a galette?

Galette is a French term that refers to a free form tart that is made with a flaky pasty crust. These tarts are not molded in tart pans. Instead, filling is placed directly on top of a sheet of rolled out pastry and the edges of that pastry are folded up and around the filling. The tart becomes crisp during baking and the dessert, as a whole, manages to be both rustic and elegant at the same time.














For my Galette I decided to combine some of the plums my friend had brought me, which were yellow inside, with a red variety Ruby Reds (which are similar to Satsuma plums which I adore), and some prune plums (which I had never tried before) which I had bought from our Farmer's Market.  Here is a pic of the prune plums - have you every tried them?



Inspired by two of my favourite food bloggers (you can click on the links), Tartelette - Tartelette's Stone Fruit Galette and The Red Bristro - The Red Bristro's Grape Harvest Galette - I set about to make my galette.

I used The Red Bistro's pastry recipe - using half white flour and half unprocessed natural wheat flour that had been given to me by my nephew from his farm's grain harvest.



PASTRY - 300g plain flour, 150g butter cubed, pinch salt, 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons chilled water (just add the amount you need).
Rub the butter into the flour till it is like fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add egg, and 1 or 2 tablespoons water. Knead lightly till smooth, wrap in baking paper and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. 


Next the filling. I roughly used Tartelette's Stone Fruit Galette recipe for the next part.

Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F. 

FILLING - Stone and roughly chop the plums. Mix together well in a large bowl with a squirt of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of honey and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. As there is a lot of juice in the plums you only need a "squirt" of the lemon juice.

Roll your pastry out onto a piece of baking paper the size of the baking tray you are going to use. I used a pizza tray for mine! Transfer the pastry, on the paper, onto the baking tray. Pile the fruit into the center, leaving about a 4 inch border around the edge. Fold the edges over the fruit but don't close it up in the middle. 

Brush milk over the crust, sprinkle with sugar and bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

If there seems to be an excess of juice, pour it off, add sugar and boil in a saucepan to make a pouring syrup. 

A mix of frozen or fresh berries also works well for this recipe. I ended up with a lot of juice and grated a green apple into the mix. 


All you have to do now is the serve, eat, and enjoy - and also enjoy the compliments of your guests.  Really this is a super easy tart to make, and as it is meant to be "rustic" you don't have to worry too much about it being really pretty to look at.  My guests were impressed and I hope yours are too!

I managed to save this piece to take a photo of the next day in my French plates - a treasured antique shop find. 

And what am I going to do with the rest of the plums?  Make plum jam of course! - but that is for another blog post....


Another one of my favourite fruits this time of year are Pomegranates. Delicious on their own or over icecream, or even tossed into a salad. There seems to be a lot of conversations and even whole blog posts about the problem of getting the seeds out of the fruit, and yes it does take a little while, but I don't think it is the drama it is made out to be. Just do it on the sink over a bowl! 

I have had a problem the last 12 months trying to sort out photographing in natural light under my new patio. I am finally starting to work it out - amazing what a clear piece of perspex between the sun and the food can do. But this is summer light, I suppose it will be a whole new story in winter! 


Have you ever made a galette? I really encourage you to give it a go if you haven't. Really they are so easy to make. You can just about use any fruit or savoury filling you like. Just roll, pile up, wrap and cook!

To give you a bit more encouragement I found this post at Food52.com - How to make any galette in 7 steps

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Foodie Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, What's It Wednesday, and Oh the Places I've Been. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Foodie Tuesday 
Wednesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been

You might also enjoy - 

Food photography is not just a bowl of cherries
Summer fruit and salad days
Quandongs - delicious Australian bush food
Tamarillos - lost food of the Incas 




28 comments:

  1. It sounds and looks heavenly. I've tried this with blueberries but never plums as I can't seem to find good tasting plums in my area. I'll bet your jam is going to be wonderful too. I also love pomegranates and have discovered the peeling them while they are underwater in the bowl works really, really well. Our pomegranate season seems to be over here though, until next year. Such lovely photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. yes there seem to be a few ways to deseed pomegranates. They are fairly expensive so I only buy one or 2 at a time.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh this looks soooo good, Jill! I made my first ever pie (Pecan) at Thanksgiving...still haven't posted that as I'm so far behind on food posts. But, I had a heckuv a time with the dough. I guess I got a bit "knocked down" from trying again but this inspires me to give it another go! I know it just takes some practice turns to get hang of it. We hope you have a fantastic week! Oh btw...the pie turned out pretty darn good. I'm my own worst critic, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pecan pie! oh delicious! I find with short-pastry to work it as little as possible.

      Delete
  3. Oh Jill this looks good enough to eat straight from my screen! The clarity of your photos is fantastic. I'm not much of a baker because everyone in this house is always on some kind of denial diet :( so generally, because I can't bear throwing things away, I end up eating the lions share which is lovely but err, not so good for me! But this one, yes I think I'll have to have a go at it for a special occasion dessert. Thanks for sharing in such luscious detail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think then you need to salad with pomegranate seeds thrown in for the extra zing. Good thing about plums when they are just picked they are fantastic for eating fresh. Aren't we so lucky to live near a fruit growing area?

      Delete
  4. Hey, that's brilliant Jill. I love plum tarts. I make them at the end of summer from our plum trees in England. Now I want to go to Australia and have some fresh plums. Mmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, thank you for the recipe, Jill :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, your plum tart looks yummy.. I am looking forward to buying some fresh fruits here. Your recipe sounds easy too. Thanks for sharing. Lovely photos. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love summer with the stone fruit we can buy.

      Delete
  7. We've seen Satsuma tangerines around here but never a Satsuma plum! Loved this story - I made a galette several years ago and used a pre-made crust - it worked just fine but this makes me think it is time to try it again - from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just heard of Satsuma tangerines when I looked up Satsuma on the net the other day. The plum is an old variety - I love red fruit plums.

      Delete
  8. Your plum gillete looks delicious. I am definitely going to share your recipe with my daughter. She is the baker in our family. Thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your food foto's are awesome and now I'm craving plums :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delish! Looks like we both were busy in the kitchen this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds scrumptous. Never made a gallete before, but perhaps I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you did quite a bit of work for this post! Both the torte and galette look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your first gallete, Jill. It looks absolutely appetizing. Always love to look at your photos.
    Those prune plums look like some we have in Jamaica, their name escapes me at the moment.

    Thanks for linking up, Jill. Hope you have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marcia. I must confess, this was the second one I made - the first one I didn't share the photos - it was a bit messy, but still yummy. The one I have posted here was the first one I had made for guests. It did look rather great when I brought it out to the table.

      Delete
  15. No seals a Goolwa but then I did not get to the barrages Jill, I had my dog with me and the day was stinking hot and the parking lot had no shade. My photos were from the boat ram further down river.
    Thanks for coming over.
    You seem not to have been on any grand trips lately. Love the photo of the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so very delicious!! :)


    http://www.pienilintu.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so behind and I am so sorry, such a busy time as we begin the huge clean up task of 6 downed trees in our yard...too much! The Plum Tart looks so good, I so enjoy plums, but have never had them cooked in any way at all. and this looks wonderful. Thanking you for helping start another busy day off for me...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness, that looks sumptuous! I`ve had galettes before, but have never attempted to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never made a galette but my mouth is watering reading about yours! Lovely photos of the process, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't have the patience to make a pretty pie. So, years ago when I discovered galettes I knew a kindred soul had experienced success despite the lack of careful attention to detail that most pastry chefs have naturally. I was sold!
    The plums look amazing. We have only just begin to have days that hint that our fruit trees will once again bear anything remotely that pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the galette is such a easy but beautiful pie to make. I will be making more of them. It will be fun to try different fruits. I love summer fruit time.

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.