Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 31 March 2014

Have camera - will take LOTS of travel pics

We love to travel and I take lots of photos – LOTS-of-photos…. I only have to look back at my photos to be transported back there to that time and place to relive those experiences.  

 You only have to look at my latest touring blog posts about our trip to South Australia last year to see what I mean - On the road through South Australia

Photo albums or photo books are a great way to have a permanent record of your trip. They can become coffee table books to be picked up and thumbed through and shared. Have you ever made a photo book? Yes they can be expensive, but infinitely rewarding. (hmm…note to self – start making photo book of our South Australia trip last year!). There are quite a few on-line services where you can make photo books.

But what good are photos sitting on a computer hard-drive? And worse still maybe be lost in a computer crash. A good reason to back up your hard drive. Do you back up? How often do you back up? I should do it every month, but in reality it might be 2 or 6 months or even 12 months – not good enough! We are often reminded that “it is not if a hard drive will crash, it is when”. (another note to self – time to back up again!) 


 To keep reading and see more pics, please click on "read more" .....


 Along with our travel, photo taking and blogging, I casually write freelance travel articles in my spare time. So in a way some of my images are preserved when a magazine is published. "Naturally Outstanding" (see above) is an article I wrote about Purnululu National Park in the Kimberley published in On The Road magazine.
But articles like this are only current in the month the magazine is put on the newsagents’ shelves. It’s not like a book that may stand the test of time in a library.  And as I discovered on a trip to Australia’s capital, Canberra, a few years ago, these type of magazines are not kept in our National Library archives.  The old saying ‘today’s news is tomorrow’s fish and chip paper’ is very true. 


A few of months ago I was contacted by Hema Maps. They are a highly respected large mapping and travel guide company in Australia.  They had found me on the web when they were looking for an image of Camel Soak camping area near Perenjori to use in their new "4WD and Camping Escapes, Perth and South West" guide.


 From this small and unexpected beginning I am excited to say that they bought five of my images for the Fifth edition of their “The Kimberley Atlas and Guide”.   Here is a link -  Hema maps

 
 This one you see below here, which I took of Boab Trees near Parry’s Lagoon between Kununurra and Wyndham is one of my favourites from our Kimberley trip in 2009

 

I am so thrilled that Hema have used some of my photos in their new Kimberley Guide and I hope that I will be able to sell them more of my images for future guides and maps they have on their drawing boards.
 
My images are going to be looked at by countless travellers from all over Australia as they plan and travel through the Kimberley.  How exciting is that! 

 Here are my other four images they chose - sunset from Kungkalanayi Lookout and walking through Piccaninny Creek in Purnululu, Marglu Billabong and the Old Halls Creek Road south of Wyndham.

 My name is in tiny print in the book, but if you happen to see a Kimberley Guide, I would love you to scroll through and take a look. 
 
Do you buy Hema guides and maps? There guides are excellent with great maps, GPS points for places of interest and camp sites, history, travel tips etc  Here is a link to find out more – Hema Maps

 Also last year the Bruce Rock Shire in the Western Australian wheatbelt bought some of my images for their new-look web site - Bruce Rock Shire - and one of my images is now on a banner in the Bruce Rock Shire offices.  Anyone who goes into their offices will see my image of my brother-in-law’s header harvesting his wheat crop. The green bin being towed at the side with the wheat pouring into it from the header is called a "chaser bin" - they fill while still moving and harvesting.
       

Another lucky sale that just came up out of the blue – or I should say out of Google or Flickr or my blog. Whichever way, because I am out there posting images I am making a few sales. Better than the images languishing on my hard drive don’t you think?

 Of course if you are posting images on line make sure you reduce the size and resolution and add your watermark (name) over the top of the image. That way potential uses will have to contact you to get high resolution images. Naming and tagging images will also help them find you when they are searching on the web. This can be done through programs like Photoshop Elements or web based editing like PicMonkey.  The collage on this post was done through PicMonkey. 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you don't my little "brag" today. I will be back to my South Australia trip blogging very soon. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, What's It Wednesday, and Oh the Places I've Been. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been




You might also like - 
On The Road in the Kimberley
Following the path of John Holland and the Propsectors - Holland Track
Camping in the beauty that are Western Australia's National Parks 




38 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having photos purchased and appearing in different places. The pictures from your trip are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes congrats on having sold your photos - it is a tribute to your talents!! They are always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, Jill :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, congrats on selling your photographs! It is exciting.. Your travel images are wonderful.. Thanks for the siggestions.. I use the external hard drive to back up my photos. But I am a little behind..I should add my name to my images but I really feel I am not a professional an no one would want to steal them. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill congrats, what a better way to explore and also preserve your wonderful images....I'm sure it's work but even better when companies recognize you for your talents...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill ...yes it's moments like this you can brag. Well Done! Your love of photography and this beautiful country of ours, shows through in your captures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fabulous news Jill. Your photos are amazing and deserve to be shown in books! I am a keen photobooker and make one after almost every trip. They are cheap and fun to produce and like you say are great coffee table books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I must stop procrastinating and start doing this Kathy!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful travel shots and great advice ~ back up definitely ~ Great series of photos for OWT ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your beautiful photos being featured!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Jill - well done on getting published - that's a feather in your cap and recognition of your dedication to getting "that" shot!
    Your photos are always amazing - you capture the essence of the Australian outback.
    Great that the Hema Maps travel guides recognised that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not surprised your photos are being sought out for publication. They really are exceptional and I do enjoy your travels very much through them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting to have your photos published although I am not surprised as you take excellent shots during your travels. After my trips I always print my photos and put them into albums as I like nothing better than to browse through them on a dull day and have the memories come flooding back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to in the days of film.....but I have got lazy now with digital. I really must start making photo books. I just need to start!

      Delete
  13. Amazing landscape

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely amazing! As everyone said, you have a great hand to capture these beautiful photos. I will surely visit your blog again for new updates. Congratulation!

    Sebastian Chuter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Photos are amazing! We visited Australia last year, and spent time in New Zealand as well. What beautiful places!!!I also blog about my travels, and would love it if you stopped by! My newest post is on New Zealand.
    http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Karen, I went to your blog, but sadly I;m not on Google+ and so it won't let me post. Sorry.
      But I loved seeing your images of New Zealand. It is a place we are yet to visit - so close and yet so far!

      Delete
  16. thank you so much dear readers for stopping by. I love hearing from you.My apologies for not getting back to all your blogs as yet. It has been a very busy week here. But I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have the eye, you have the technique and you have the passion to create award winning photographs. It's a magical combination and yes you should 'brag' about it every now and then - it's an amazing talent. I'm so glad that you're being discovered organically and think that with a little more promotion you'll soon be selling many more photos to all sorts of publications. I can see you with a full-on online store one day too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Jo for your vote of confidence. I really appreciate it. It is really exciting have companies contact me "out of the blue" for images. Hmmm....and on-line store...perhaps I should look into it? Have you had any feedback about reputable on-line stores which are working for people?

      Delete
  18. Fabulous to hear about all of your freelancing success! Isn't it wonderful when we get paid and our talents recognized for doing something we love!?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jill, congratulations for having more of your photos published! Your images are beautiful and they deserved to be discovered and enjoyed by others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Jill. It must be very exciting to see your photos in print. I'm not surprised they have been snapped up,..they are all gorgeous and show fabulous everyday scenes. You can't stop now...back on the road!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photos! Congratulations on your name being there - even if it is tiny!

    So wonderful to have you at "Oh the PLACES I've been!"

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your sales, it's not bragging at all. If you can't shout out about great things like that on your own blog, what's the point?! Your photos are gorgeous and I'm happy to have found you through link ups (Tablescaper, TravelPhotoMonday & TPThursdays). I must make more of an effort to back up and even print photos as I learnt the hard way. I lost ALL my photos from 2010 through a computer crash. Very upsetting but guess what? I still don't back up regularly. Not sure why it gets pushed to the bottom of the To Do list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good on you Jill. Your images are first class and deserve to be snapped up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! The pick you picked as your favourite is also mine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Jill! No wonder your photos have appeared in various publication, they are wonderfully captured...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations and well-deserved. Your images are beautiful and it's no surprise they were used for publications. What a great honor!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Jill. Your images and your writing are both in a serious of leaving me with a few things to think about. Think and do are two different things .. I just made some notes to myself again. Im working on a project but can see not hard enough. Loved your images and your blog. Always brilliantly done.
    Hugs across the waters.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful shots, Jill. I've lost photos over the years, so I am much more careful these days. My biggest lose was an SD card. Photos of the Great Wall of China lost forever. Let's just say I was a bit upset!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love photobooks! I put one together every year as a "yearbook" and then a separate one if we went on any trips. The one I made for our London/Paris trip makes a wonderful coffee table book. Congrats on selling some of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on grabbing the attention of Hema and being included in their guide book. That must be so exciting. Your photos are great, so I can see why they wanted to use them. The closest I've come is when some newspaper journalist in Australia contacted me about using one of my photos from Paris. Unfortunately, I think he then realized that stock photos existed of the popular Love Locks bridge and used that instead. But at least it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Embarking on a 'have-camera-will-take-lots-of-travel' journey is an exhilarating experience, capturing the essence of every destination. With my trusty camera, each moment becomes a cherished memory.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.