Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 16 October 2022

Urban Abstracts Photography - some how to tips

 Hi everyone, I hope you and yours are doing well. A couple of weekends ago I went to a photography workshop with Nigel Gaunt from Red Dirt Photography. I have long admired Nigel's landscapes of northern Western Australia. He lived for many years in Broome in the Kimberly but now operates out of Fremantle near Perth. Please check out his website to see some of Nigel's amazing images. 

Organised by the Photography Group of Bunbury, the workshop was not about landscapes but about urban detail and abstracts - which is quite different to street photography (usually including people) or urban architecture.  

There is always something to photograph even in an urban environment. The workshop opened our eyes to see and appreciate the little things in the urban environment - textures, lines, curves, shapes, colours, repetitive pattens, grunge, rust, cracked and peeling paint, drain pipes, gutters, door handles, numbers, strong colours, contrasts, light, shadows. 

They are everywhere around us - where light, shadows and contrast all play a part and imperfections create interest. Break the rules. 

Nigel suggested that square crop helps pull the viewer into the image and perhaps question "what is it?"

Urban abstracts are not for everyone, but here I am sharing a few of mine from the day. I hope you might find some inspiration to have a go yourself. You don't have to go far from home - even in a rural environment you will find oportunities. 





A couple of different crops of the same scene - seen in a gutter


And one a bit further away


And just because I liked this little corner of escape in someones workday life. 

I hope you have enjoyed deliving into urban abstracts and detail with me today. To see some of Nigels abstracts go here - Nigel Gaunt - Red Dirt Photography

T
hank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

12 comments:

  1. The Linkparty works without bug. Please try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No still says the linkparty has closed. So sorry Erica.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been very impressed with the various photos shared from the workshop ( seen on social media )
    I note it’s all about getting much much closer to interesting subject material .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanna Ingham
    I love these!!!! There is art in even the most mundane things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that’s a workshop right up my alley 😁 Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some nice images there, looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Quite different from anything I've seen before.
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/10/some-more-fun-with-botanical-drawing.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not something I ever photograph. I really like the photos your took. Fabulous!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually either - but it really opened my eyes to the possibilities.

      Delete
  8. I think these are fabulous! I often don't know what to focus on when in an urban environment so I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting what catches your eye. Great captures.

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.