Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 10 July 2022

Wild Orchid time is starting!

 Hi everyone. I hope you and yours are well. 

Just a short post from me today as we are busy helping our son and daughter-in-law paint their new house. Very exciting times for them. 

It is winter here in Australia and some of the wild orchids are starting to appear in our bushland. Orchid hunting is one of my favourite things to do especially as it gets us out into natural bushland. We are lucky to have a few places to find orchids in our area. 

Last Friday we went walking through the Manea Park Reserve as a fellow orchid hunter had told me where to find the helmet orchid - Corcybas recurvous. This is an orchid we have been unsuccessfully searching for for years. So I really felt lucky to have someone tell me where I might find them. Even with directions it took a little hunting, and then there they were!

They flower from June to September and only in a relatively small part of the south west of Western Australia. We found these in dry leaf litter under tuart and peppermint trees. 

These orchids are tiny, and like to hide in leaf litter so you really need to look carefully and then be careful where you tread. The leaves are only about 8-20mm across. They grow in large colonies, but only a few flower each year, so I think we were very lucky to see so many flowers. 


Please click on read more to continue reading....

Below here you can see the flower head close down by the leaves. Evidently once they are fertilised the flower stalk elongates by as much as 300mm to aid seed dispersal. We will go back in a couple of weeks to hopefully see this. It was so exciting to finally find this orchid and add it to our list after so many years. 

Other wild orchids we have seen in the last few weeks at Manea Park you can see below here - clockwise from top left - Bunny orchid, Scented autumn leak orchid, Hare orchid, Banded greenhood orchid, Midge orchid, and the Shell orchid. These, especially the hare orchid and the midge orchid are so tiny it is difficult to find them. Also their mostly green colouring makes them difficult to find. 


Above is the midge orchid. It looks a bit like a mosquito - midgie! 

You often have to get down in the dirt to photograph our wild orchids. I should carry a kneeling pad and a small tripod might help too. Here I am using my 100mm macro lens. A tripod would have been handy as it was low light in the shade, and hard to hold the camera steady while on my elbows! Next time! 


Only a few other wild flowers were blooming, including this sticky Sundew. But spring will soon be on its way and each time we visit we will see more flowers. Lucky for us it is only about a 15 minute drive from home. 


And if you are lucky you might see a kangaroo. This was taken last year, I think she has a joey in her pouch 



Thankyou so much for visiting today. Do you have a favourite bushwalk to see wildflowers. Perhaps you would like to tell us about it in your comments. 

You might also like:

Going for a walk? Take your camera

Manea Reserve - Down in the Western Australian bush this week - December 2021

Hunting for wild orchids - Western Australian wheatbelt - September 2021

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

13 comments:

  1. Those are so unusual. None of the wild orchids here look like that! Such a different kind of land, animal, insect and plant life from what we have here in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have found those and even if I did I would not have known they were orchids. Really interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new orchids to me, who buys simple ones at the grocery every once in a while. But I do like going to a arboretum greenhouse full of different species. But you get to go walking in nature and see wild ones. Super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - so glad you found this orchid that had evaded you for so long. And I LOVED the picture of you in action. Sometimes the scale of the orchid is "lost" in the photo, so that picture of you, as well as the one with your fingers (I assume) help tremendously in that respect. And as always, I get great amusement from the "random" kangaroo in your posts. I will have to start including pictures of deer along the road. Would that be equally exciting for you? Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orchids are gorgeous. I'm visiting from Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great little orchid. You are va very dedicated photographer and thanks for sharing. Hope your knees are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing to see these intricate blooms. I love the kangaroo too...and seeing you taking photos! I took some wildflower photos today of the Passionflower. I love getting out in nature for whatever there is to see. Enjoy your week. Don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/07/a-few-things-blooming-around-homeplace.html.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my how fun to have seen a Kangaroo on yesteryear walks. Strange to seem you're in Winter and we're hot, hot Summer. Thanks for sharing the walk, and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful pictures
    and a beautiful orchid
    greetings .. Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...seeing the kangaroo is a treat for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this hike and orchid hunting would be a hobby I could really love! How wonderful they all are. So beautiful. It's interesting to me that they flower in the winter months! I will be interested to see what wildflowers you find as winter fades and spring arrives!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.