Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 20 January 2020

Thongs are like footprints

It is summer, and I am just reconnecting myself to life after a week away at Summer School in Albany on the south coast of our State. (it was fabulous! - more about that later!)

Yes it is summer. I thank everyone most sincerely for their thoughts and prayers over the last couple of weeks while I have been blogging about the Australian bush-fires. Your comments and thoughts, and those of you who have helped in other ways, really means more than I can tell you. I am happy to report that there has been some relief on the fire-fronts with rain over the past week. However there are still bushfires burning. 

Just this afternoon a suspected deliberately lit bush-fire has started up only about 20kms north of where we live in Western Australia.  It continues to baffle me why people deliberately light bushfires. The water bombers have been flying overhead this afternoon. I feel relatively safe here as we are in the middle of suburbia, but I hope they can put the fire out quickly.

More than 10.7 million hectares of land have burnt so far in Australia’s bushfires – larger than the total area of South Korea, or Portugal, and 1.3 times the size of Scotland. The Guardian - Australian bushfires from the air.

However, not to make light of the situation, but I have decided on a change of pace today, with an ode to the typical Aussie summer footwear - thongs. I planned a couple of months ago to write this ode to thongs - so here it is.


I've borrowed from Australian writer and poet Colin Thiele from his poetry book - "Songs for my Thongs" - this is "Thongs are like Footprints" -

 and "A thong is just a Friendly Sole" -


Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  

You might also like:
Summer salad days 
In the summer time
 
I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

14 comments:

  1. Hello, this is a great summer time post. The poem is cute! Flips Flops on the beach are a must, the sand can be very hot. I do not understand why someone would purposely start the bushfires, they must be sick. I hope they are caught! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the poetry, making me smile! Brings back visions of so many time mine were worn. Thank you and have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear flip flops, as we call them, thongs for your feet all year round until it turns frigid like today. Why? Because it is as close to going bare feet as possible and that is my first love. Bare feet. Thanks for the giggle with your sole ode.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always called them thongs when I was growing up. Love this post and your update on the fires. Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good sturdy pair of thongs is a great asset. Since my feet are little, I always have problems to find one that are comfortable! Yes, because of all the trauma with the fires, am glad you haven't forgotten about the summer fun, and thank you for this cheerful post for All Seasons! have a great summer week, doing summery things:)
    !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I feel like we all need a bit of time to take a breather - unbelievable the idiots who deliberately start fires. Great news for rains in some areas, although we had massive hail this weekend in Melbourne. I'm still a flip flop wearer, rather than calling them thongs! Who'd be without them in Aus!
    Have a good week
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life Images by Jill26 January 2020 at 16:18

      Isn't it interesting you call them flip-flops over there, and we call them thongs over here. And the USA has a different name to the UK. Interesting. Yes, I saw the hail on TV. I hope all is good with you.

      Delete
  7. Jill - I take this as a good sign that you can take a light-hearted approach to your post this week (the deliberate fire-setting aside.) If I could live my life barefoot, I would, but thongs and sandals are a close second. (Of course, they don't work so well in the snow.) Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my Aussie friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life Images by Jill22 January 2020 at 09:17

      I have always walked around barefoot at home. I am told that it helps grounds us.

      Delete
  8. This makes me anxious for summer...I don't understand how someone could deliberately start a fire but I know it happens 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wear flip-flops all year round over here in our forever-summer corner of the world!

    Love your post - it really SCREAMS SUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, awesome verses to match the season! Glad to hear the fires are getting under control.

    It's delightful to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is I think so hard for many of us in the states to grasp how large Australia is and sadly the news coverage has dwindled down to a trickle. Continued prayers for Australia as I know it isn't out of the woods with still another 2 months of summer. Glad you were able to visit the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your thoughts. Yes the news has dwindled here on the west coast, but I know from updates it is still full on over on the eastern side of Australia.

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.