Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Tuesday 19 November 2019

Getting close to the wildlife - Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - Half Lap, Part 7

Hi everyone, welcome to Part 7 of my half lap of Australia. Last week you might remember we arrived in Darwin, the capital city of Northern Territory in Australia's north, and explored some of Darwin's war history

 Darwin is a big city, but there are plenty of opportunities to see wildlife not far out of Darwin.  Here is a map to show you where we are heading to, the places circled.



 First off, the Territory Wildlife Park. 45 kilometres south of Darwin (the purple circle in the left of the map), this is a fabulous place to get close to wildlife, so I suggest arrive early and plan a full day excursion. (Opening times 9am - 5pm, entry fees, and concession rates, apply).  




 The park is spread over a large area, and if you get tired walking to the exhibits there is a free shuttle tram that runs continuously around the 4km circular route. There are various feature presentations and keeper talks. Some are included with your entry fee, whilst you can pay extra for other close up encounters. 

We opted for the morning Woodland Wallaby Muster, Buffalo Banter and the Flight Deck Nature Display, before exploring on our own.  And as it was "rather" hot, we decided to take the tram.

Here we are at the Wallaby feeding station. Judging by the languages being spoken around us this is very popular with overseas tourists. I think we were the only Aussies there.  You certainly can get close to the wallabies. Due to the dense bush in the Northern Territory they tend to be smaller wallabies, rather than the larger kangaroos. All females in this feeding enclosure.

Next up the buffalo feeding. They are given a small feed of hay and carrots to get them to come near the fence. Look at the size of the horns on those guys. 

Water buffalo are a major environmental disaster to the Northern Territory.
About 80 domesticated water buffalo were brought to the Northern Territory of Australia from Indonesia between 1825 and 1843 to provide draft animals and dairy products for early settlers living in isolated settlements there.

Before the buffaloes came to Australia there were no large or hooved animals in Australia. Their wallowing severely damages aquatic plants, and causes erosion making habitats uninhabitable for native wildlife, their swim channels cause salt water to come into the fresh water plains, nesting of birds and crocodiles is impacted, they spread weeds, eat vast amounts of vegetation, and also carry diseases which can infect domesticated cattle.


Despite eradication programs their numbers still increase. In 2008 the wild population was estimated to be 150,000. Sobering statistics.

Our next stop was the Flight Deck for a bird display which was excellent. Though a little difficult to get photos of the birds flying in and out. Very well trained! 
Clockwise from top left below you can see - emu, Barn owl, jabiru (black-necked stork), and a stone curlew.  Due to their colouring the stone curlews are difficult to see in their natural habitat.
Our next stop was the Nocturnal House. No photos in here I am sorry, due to the dim lights. But it was nice to get out of the sun. We had lunch in a shaded picnic area and then took the train to the Billabong, which was very shaded and peaceful with a couple of pelicans floating serenely along.


 
From here we walked across to the Monsoon Forest walk and the walk-through aviaries which fantastic. The monsoon forest walk starts with a movement activated mini demo of the monsoon complete with rain and thunder.  I wish I could show you the demonstration.

In the walk through aviaries there were lots of birds and identification panels, including one of the largest domed walk through aviaries in the southern hemisphere. 
In this aviary you walk up along a raised platform up through the trees. Truly wonderful and probably my favourite part of the park.  



 Here is a video in the aviary - you might have to turn up the sound to hear the birds



We were thrilled to see the Gouldian Finch. Australia's most colourful bird, they are endangered in the wild, so the location of wild colonies is protected.


Next up was the Aquarium, where you can see a big salt water crocodile. We thought it must be a model, and then it moved. You wouldn't want to come face to face with one of these guys in the wild. Being that close, even through glass, gave me the shivers.  This photo really doesn't give a true indication of its size. The many information panels had lots of information about the salt water estuarine crocodiles, which are very dangerous and will eat you. There is no swimming in the Northern Territory except in places which are designated free of crocodiles, though even then you need to be careful and be aware of signage. 
I loved these beautiful hangings at the bus stops - I think paper mache  


And this gorgeous tree orchid - Dendrobium dicuphum



On our way back to Darwin we had a cool refreshing swim at Berry Springs. No crocs here! 



Thank you for stopping by, I hope you have enjoyed our visit to the Territory Wildlife Park. I recommend it if you ever visit Darwin. 
More information here - Territory Wildlife Park

Next week I will take you on another wildlife experience at Corroboree Billabong east of Darwin where we go for a boat cruise to see wildlife, including crocodiles, in the wild!

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

20 comments:

  1. Didn't know buffalos were that destructive to their environment!Never see a blacknecked stork - impressively beautiful. Love all the finches! Am like you crocodiles are not my favorite animals. Luckily they're not in California, except for the zoo! Many thanks for sharing this part of your journey with All Seasons, Jill! Always so much to see, I love it! Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed today's tour very much. I understand why the wallaby feeding station is so popular - when I hear wallaby or kangaroo I think of Australia. You can't find them anywhere else. You have fascinating one of a kind animals. I understand the problems of introduced wildlife and plants to an area. I live in Florida (US) and so many plants and animals have been brought here and released (sometimes illegally - there are pythons in the Everglades for Pete's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I would love to see this wildlife park. The finches are beautiful. I am glad you could swim and not worry about the crocs. The hanging art is pretty and the orchids are beautiful. Lovely place and great photos. Enjoy your day, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like it Eileen. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. Thank for bringing us this feature. There is much to be learned at a facility like this, and I would have enjoyed a visit to be sure. In addition to the captive species, wildlife parks and their ilk often become a bit of a haven for wild creatures too, who find safety from predators there and often a little free food. I will look forward to seeing what you bring us next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly enjoyed your visit to the Territory Wildlife Park. Love the photos.

    Happy Tuesday, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about the dark blog background - you visited while I was experimenting, and came to the same conslusion as you did -too hard to read, so am not keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I live in Australia and never been there. Will have to make a plan and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a long way, depending on where you live of course, but well worth it. Go during the northern dry winter months. July was good.

      Delete
  8. Jill - you know I am all about nature and wildlife - so I loved this post. Interesting stats about the water buffalo. Isn't it sad (and yet fascinating) that non-native species can thrive while natives disappear? Thanks so much for linking to Mosaic Monday, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course they aren't meant to be here, so hence they destroy the natural habitat that has evolved for the native species.

      Delete
  9. Jill, Thanks for sharing some of your stops. I love the paper mache art! Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in awe of your traveling life. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's the kind of place I love to visit! Thanks for sharing your great images and experience :)

    I'm happy to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother who lives in Darwin is sadly not a photographer. Thank you so much for a visual insight in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing shots! I love seeing how different your wildlife is from that here in Oregon! Love the bird photos especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.