Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 21 July 2019

Anniversary of Man Walking on the Moon

On 16th July 1969 Apollo 11 was launched from the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, USA. 20th July marks the 50th anniversary of man walking on the moon after landing in the Lunar Module Eagle on the Sea of Tranquility. Commander Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon, followed by Buzz Aldrin. They spent about 21 hours on the moon, whilst Michael Collins flew the command module Columnbia above. 

Armstrong''s famous words "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" was heard around the world, as millions watched the scenes unfold on their televisions. 



Were you alive when this event happened? Do you remember it? Did you watch it on TV?
 I was in high-school in 1969 and our science lab was the only classroom with a TV. I remember that the television ran the whole day at school and we were allowed to go in and watch. Mostly it was a lot of scenes of Neil and Buzz bouncing around on the moon, but it was still fascinating, and indeed a great leap forward in space exploration and a significant event in world history. 

And a couple of my own moon photos.... taken during a total lunar eclipse on 31 January 2018.



There is lots on the net about the moon landing:
Wikipedia
Space.com
Earthsky.org


Only a short post from me today, but I thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week. 


I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Jill - I was too young to remember this event, but it remains inspirational to us all. Our son was recently telling us about plans to establish the moon as a launching point for manned deep space exploration. Apparently, it will save energy and time launching from a planet with less gravitational pull than the earth. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Angie. In truth I believe that man should spend his money on fixing up the problems they have created here on earth.

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.