Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 27 May 2019

Weekend portrait photography workshop

Sadly I don't seem to have much of an opportunity to do portrait photography (a willing model is essential!), and in truth, I don't feel I really have the skills necessary, and certainly haven't had the practice I would like.  

So I jumped at the chance when the Photography Group of Bunbury advertised a portrait workshop with portrait photographer Seng Mah from Venture Photography, though in truth Seng is much more than a portrait photographer.  

The workshop is one of a series of workshops that the photography group is offering this year through a grant allocation. 

The workshop was held at the historic Bunbury Regional Art Gallery, and after an introduction on the basics of portrait photography we were lead through a series of settings using fixed and strobe lighting in a studio setting, and then out onto the street to photograph in natural light in shadow (street art in an alleyway was a perfect backdrop for this), and natural sunlit situations.  

Here are some of my pics from the day.

Participants getting in close in the dance room of the art gallery. 


The beautiful faces of Hal who was a pleasure to work with. I really love the bottom one changed to black and white. 





Dino, who is quite new to portrait modelling 


 All these photos were taken with my 50mm lens, on full manual mode.

A few basic tips:
Connect with your subject - communication and collaboration with your model is the key
Expose for the face but focus on the eyes
Turn face towards the light 
A portrait should be a story about the whole person
Lighting can evoke different moods - shadows can sculpt the form and create drama 
Do you want your background blurred, or included to tell help tell the story?
                                       .................................

Last August I had the opportunity to join a 20s style glamour photo shoot with the Photography Group of Bunbury, also using fixed lighting in a studio type setting. This was totally different to anything I had ever done before. These workshops are helping to build on my skills and make me feel more confident. 
 
Here is Sammy and Veronica. 




I really love these opportunities, but I also like candid family or travel shots too. These require a different set of skills. Talking to the subject is very important, ask them about themselves, what they are doing. Show them the photo, offer to send them a copy.

This was taken last year in Spain. As we were on a walking tour I was very sorry I didn't have time to stop and talk to this guy playing his guitar on steps in the old town of Albaicin in Grenada. I should have gone back and dropped some money in his hat. 


 Do you like portrait photography? Do you have any tips for better images? Perhaps you would like to share in your comments. 

Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  

Live in Bunbury and want to join a photography group?: Photography Group of Bunbury

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

 

8 comments:

  1. How interesting! I've never done this type of photography and it would be challenging! Love the expressions on their faces! And the guitar man is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the guitar man too. A lucky grab, and I was so sorry I had to keep walking to keep up with the group.

      Delete
  2. I think portrait photography is hard to do well - yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great experience, Jill! And this way you are also teaching us at all Seasons. My favorites are the middle photo of the guy, and the musician, because they tell a story. Appreciate your text too for this post:)
    Have a fun-tastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - zero portrait photography here …. I hadn't consciously thought about it before, but I tend to focus on the natural world rather than people … I perceive portraits to be much more challenging - you need to ENGAGE your subject - but I don't think I need to ENGAGE a flower … on the other hand, birds don't tend to communicate well or sit still when you want them to! Thanks for sharing yet another one of your talents - you are inspiring as always. Love your contributions to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you did an amazing job and had fantastic models.
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you lack a model then I can highly recommend self portraiture

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, I stand behind the camera, not in front of it...trust me... x

      Delete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.