Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 14 January 2019

Kimberley flowers - the Rosella

I was going back through my Kimberley photos the other day from our trip in 2016, and was reminded about the amazing edible Rosella plant - Hibiscus Sabdariffa.  This delicious bush tucker plant is thought to have been brought to Australian from Sri Lanka by Indonesian fishermen, thousands of years ago. Since then the Australian Rosella has developed its own unique characteristics and thrives in the northern parts of Australia.


 At first we thought it was a weed, as it looked out of place and very weed like (ie more succulent than an native Australian plant in the Kimberley), but then we discovered it was the Rosella plant. No wonder it looks out of place as, even though it had been here for thousands of years, it is not strictly a native of Australia. But obviously it does very well in the north.




However the flowers of the Rosella are delicious, and whenever we saw one on our walks I couldn't resist plucking off a couple of flowers to nibble on.


The red edible calyxes are high in vitamin C with a tart-sweet flavour which goes well in salads, jellies, red sauces, jams, cordials, syrups, fruit teas and wine. I tasted jam made by a friend in the Kimberley, but have never made it myself as it requires a great number of calyxes, but I can guarantee it is absolutely delicious. I purchased a couple of jars in Broome and brought them back home with me. You can also buy Rosella flowers in syrup, which I haven't tried myself, but I'm told are also delicious. Here is a recipe from Tucker Bush.com - Rosella Jam



So there you have it - the Rosella plant. You can find out more information here - Rosella - Tucker Bush.com
ps - I am not promoting any particular product or company.

You might also like:
The wildflowers are blooming in the Kimberley 
On the road through the Kimberley 
The Kimberley Boab Tree 

 Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. I hope your 2019 has started well. My January seems to be very busy! Have a wonderful week. 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!


Hello there! I love reading your comments. If you scroll down to the bottom you can comment too! I would love to hear from you.

15 comments:

  1. Jill - if I encountered this plant in the wild, I would not have imagined eating the flowers. But then I consider the rose hip, which is made into tea … Nature can provide if we open our minds to it! Thanks for linking to MM with this "jammy" treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew nothing about this Rosella plant, thank you for the info. Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pretty plant. Being a hibiscus, I wonder if the flower is larger in its native land. I read that it's drought tolerant, be interesting to grow it here in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one in a garden centre here, but unfortunately it died. Too cold probably. The northern part of Australia is VERY hot and wet in summer, and warm and dry in winter.

      Delete
  4. Jesh - All Seasons15 January 2019 at 09:47

    Jello Jill,
    So pretty - these Kimberly flowers! Love the shape of the Rosella.
    From my mother I remember from my childhood the Rose-syrup, to make
    rose-lemonade. Always assumed that it came from the common )tea) roses, but now I wonder if was the Rosella, since they lived in Indonesia and Australia is not far from there - thinking about plants in you area of the world).
    Wishing you and your family a belated New Year -
    mine started much busier than I expected
    Your post is a great start of 2019 for All Seasons!
    Junieper/Jesh StG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly sure that rose hip jam syrup etc is made from traditional roses - I just found this - https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/rosehip-syrup-recipe

      Delete
    2. Jesh - All Seasons15 January 2019 at 11:26

      thanks so much for the link! Also a memory from childhood was a rosehip jam on the table (store bought)! And I loved it:) Jesh StG

      Delete
  5. This is totally new to me. Nice to know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Jill! ...the color is so vibrant! I’m learning lots of fascinating things about your country and Sri Lanka these day

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new one to me -- related to the larger hibiscus. It's lovely, as well as edible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made a few batches of rosella jam over the years, it is a favourite in our house. It is a bit annoying to make as you need to take out the middles. I need to get some bushes going again, one or two is all you need. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made a few batches of rosella jam over the years, it is a favourite in our house. It is a bit annoying to make as you need to take out the middles. I need to get some bushes going again, one or two is all you need. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosella Jam! Now that's something I'd love to try

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.