Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 1 February 2015

A new photo project for 2015

So we are already a month into 2015! How are you all going with your New Year Resolutions? I must admit I don't make any. But I do start to make a few plans, and there are a few big plans waiting in the wings for me for 2015, but resolutions? no.

I can hardly believe I am saying this, but I have embarked on a new photographic project for 2015.  Those that follow me on my blog probably know about my 365 Project in 2014 - one photo a day every day for a year. It was a challenge - a huge challenge at times. When I reached the end of the 2014 and the successful completion of the 365 project I said thank goodness for that, it is over.  But do you know what? I couldn't stop taking photos every day just in case I decided to do a fool thing and do another 365 project! And then fate stepped in. A week or so ago I woke up about 12.15 midnight, and realised that I hadn't taken a photo the previous day.  The first I had missed in over 380 days. Now I could have gotten up out of bed and taken a photo, but no, the day was past. It was a relief really. 

Please click on "read more" to read more!


 But then...what now?...there was a fresh breath of freedom....but oh so brief....as I have signed up with my photography group, the Photography Group of Bunbury and the WA Photographic Federation to do a 52-2 project. Two photos a week for 52 weeks. After a 365 project a 52 week can't be that difficult can it? The difference with this 52 weeks project, is that you take 2 photos a week - one colour and one mono.  

For a definition - Monochrome describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or shades of one color

Therefore mono is not just black and white, it can be shades of one colour ie red - a red rose for instance.  VoilĂ - there you have it!
I actually hadn't thought of a RED rose until just now as being MONO! Excellent! 

No these are not roses, and they are not mono, but rather nice kangaroo paws in my front garden photographed with afternoon sun back-lighting. I bought them as a small plant a couple of years ago and they have multiplied.


So anyways, I looked back through my downloaded photos last night of the photos had taken since the start of January - and yes, I had enough to start a 52-2 project from the beginning of January. So I signed up and paid my money before I had a chance to think about it! Part proceeds go to our photography club and some of the money is reimbursed to you to help part pay for a photo book of your years photos. So a fairly good deal really.

And I am hoping that this project will really help my mono photography skills - and I do mean black and white. B&W is a different field of photography to colour - you really have to look at light and shade, lines, shapes, tones. 

 So here it is - January - week 1-4 of my 52-2 project. And according to the description of mono, the photo in the middle is mono. There seems to be a bit of a brownish theme to my photos this month. Maybe because it is summer.

Below you can see - my grandsons having fun on a swing at the beach (colour), St Werburghs Chapel Mt Barker (mono), fireworks on Australia Day (colour), slow motion waves on the beach (colour), sand dunes walk (mono), January 18 (mono), bronze Aussie Australia Day on the beach (mono), and a slightly different view of the Perth city skyline (colour).



A bit of photoshop trickery here......which I found in the book "52 Weekend Digital Photo Projects" given to me my husband at Christmas. If I did all the projects that would be 52 - easy!
I earned a bronze for this image at the Photography Group's meeting last Thursday for the topic "cityscape". 



This image started off as a panorama and turned into a circle, which I then cut it in half because I couldn't get the water in the middle to match up properly. You can probably see what I mean here....



So did you make any New Year resolutions? How are you going with them one month in? Or have you, like me, embarked on a project? Perhaps you would like to tell us about it in the comments. 

There are some terrible out of control bush fires around the south west corner of our state at the moment. In the height of summer the bush is tinder-dry. My son is working in the command-logistics centre at Pemberton close to a huge bushfire raging in national parks only a few kilometres from Northcliffe, and my cousin is one of the volunteer fire fighters. Please send a thought to the fire fighters in these blistering temperatures we are having, and pray that they will get the fires under control without loss of lives or private property. The wind is not helping, what they really need is rain and lots of it. Extra fire-fighters have come from the Eastern States to assist.

Update Thursday 5 February - Approximately 80,000 hectares have been burnt, and the fire perimeter is around 240 kilometres long. The fire has now crossed the South West Highway and is now on track towards Walpole. The towns of Northcliffe and Windy Harbour have been evacuated. The main problem is that the fire is in the towering Kari old growth forests with very few access tracks and the fire is jumping across the treetops.

I took this image of the aftermath of a bushfire last week only a few kilometres from our home. 



Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you and will try to stop by your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.


I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, and What's It Wednesday.  Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday

You might also like to see -
Jills 365 project 2014 

32 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, Happy 2015!! I'm so excited about your 2015 project. I so admired you diligence in your 2014 365 project. So I'm sure the news 52/2 will be a quite a piece of cake for you:) I like he idea of color and mono. I enjoyed the new lovely images you have taken so far. That panorama that turned into circle shot is very interesting. Looking forward to see more of our 52/2 images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a case of jump first and think later!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you Jill. Hope the new photo project is as fun for you as viewing last year's project was for me! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jill, you are such an artist with photography. I didn't make resolutions but picked a word for a month or so. Last months word was Lovely. This months seem to be Bless. I REALLY would love to learn more about photography, I just don't know how to use my camera like I should. I would love to take a photography class and settle down to simply focus and improve my knowledge. We'll see... Have a great February, it must be fall in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Gayle for your lovely comments. If you were in my part of the world you could come and do my photography short course!

      Delete
    2. and hey - your photography is beautiful! you could probably teach me a thing or 2!

      Delete
  4. sounds like you are excited about the new photo adventure! I might give myself a few challenges this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, no I purposely made no new year's resolutions for 2015 as I never honour them! However I find your 52:2 photography project very interesting. Some of your monochrome photos are sensational and I also love the Perth skyline - very clever! I hope you have a great 2015. Can you believe January is finished already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 52-2 sounds more manageable than your 2014 project Jill but when you love photography, it's all pleasure isn't it?
    A good start for January, thank you for sharing your selections for Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing shots! I love that panorama...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jill, you are off to a great start with your new project.. Sounds like fun! I hope you get some much needed rain there, the fires sound scary.. Good luck with your project and have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately the fires are still raging and out of control. The wind is hampering their efforts. I talked to my son who is working down there last night. I was great to hear from him.

      Delete
  9. Well another wonderful photo project. Maybe I will do one, one day...I don't do resolutions but pick a word that focuses my year...much better. I have been getting more into black and white photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jill. No resolutions here, although there are some plans. Your photo edit of the city circle is wonderful! Love the effect. I do hope the rain falls and the fire hazard decreases. It's such a concern when the land is dry.
    Best wishes as you move forward with your wonderful photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've written a fairly long comment and it just disappeared. I'm wondering if there are gremlins afoot?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving your photography projects, Jill and embarking on a new journey with you is very exciting. I think your beautiful images have as much to do with your wonderful eye and sensitive spirit, although the technical side I'm sure has taken some learning. I hope your son is safe and that we might get a little rain soon to quell the thirst of this tinder-box-dry land we inhabit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo, I am glad you took the time to come back and comment after the last one disappeared! Thank you so much for your comments and support. I am hoping for a more creative future very soon! I'm looking forward to catching up with you at the pro-blogger conference x

      Delete
  13. Extraordinary!!! That landscape/panorama/turned 'circle' of the city is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative photography and intriguing ~ Wonderful!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your new project. You seem to have made a great start already. I set myself the task of visiting all the underground stations in London and to photograph and research above the ground in a half mile radius. I have estimated that it will take me about 10 years to complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow that's a great project. I look forward to your posts!

      Delete
  16. Jill, this seems to be an interesting project! I love your Perth picture - congratulations for your bronze! How did you do it in Photoshop? I also use this program and would interest me to know how you did it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool effect isn't it. A bit too complicated to share the "how to do it" on here though without diagrams.

      Delete
  17. Well done you earning the bronze award, you definitely deserved it as this is a BRILLIANT shot. Is that book you mention work buying?

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really depends Molly on whether you like to do projects and play around with post processing. There are some fun projects to try. I want to try "splash" photography next.

      Delete
  18. I so thought that I had commented on this lovely share Jill. I love it all, however the last two images are just so magical, lovely and beautiful. They give off such a warmth with their colouration, I love them. Happy remainder to your week~ Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Jill, congratulations on your wonderful cityscape prize and completing your 2014 365 Project and beginning your P52! You're absolutely right about how challenging a P365 is, I did one a couple years back and found myself having to constantly keep up. But alas, it felt so good to get to the finish line :) Thoughts and prayers to the brave fire fighters, hoping for a quick end to the bush fires and lots of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your post is very interesting. I love your country and I believe I will be able to visit it one day... Greetings from snowy bur sunny Poland Gosia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kudos on your prize-winning photo! No, no New Year's resolutions here... although I have committed to a Project 52 and hoping that I will see it to completion this time. I like your idea of doing two a week --one monochrome and one in color. That should definitely get the creative juices kicking some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well you start by saying you don't have resolutions but then surprise everyone with one that lasted more than a year. Incredible! Good luck with 52-2. Seems you have a good start going by the pictures in this set.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That city scape is very interesting. I hope that fire is put out soon although I can understand the difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Monochrome photography scares me rigid - my photos and stories rely so much on the colour, to NOT use it (yes, I know that's a split infinitive) would mean a different focus for the pix. That's not a bad thing - just scary!! Look forward to seeing more B&W and learning from you. The Adelaide Hills bushfires stopped about 150metres from our house - that's REALLY scary. I'm hoping that your fires are now gone - we don't always get news from interstate unless there's a disaster, so I'm hoping no news is good news.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.