Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Sunday 5 January 2014

Summer and 2014 begins

Well here we are in 2014 already! The years are going far too quick for me. Are they for you? My life is zooming past! It feels like it was only last year that we were celebrating the new millennium - and it was odd to be saying 2000 and here we are 14 years into it!

I am not big on making new year resolutions. Plans yes - but not resolutions. I wonder what the 2014 will bring. 

Today was the last day of my holidays, so we took a drive down the coast to Dunsborough, Meelup and the coastline around Cape Naturaliste.  The ocean was at is sparkling summer best and there were families on summer holidays everywhere. There is a Cape to Cape walking track between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin with spectacular coastal views - but you wouldn't want to walk along it in summer. The 700 metres and return we did to get some of these shots was enough for me today!  Don't forget the hat and sunscreen!


 I have embarked on a plan to do a 365 project - one photo a day for a whole year. Many others have done it before me and say how much their photography improved over the year. I don't know if I can keep up the pace, but I carry my camera with me every day anyway, so will I start with the best intentions, and see what happens from there.

 Please click on "read more" to keeping reading and seeing more pics from the summer of 2014


 
January 1 - the Bunbury boat harbour - yachts waiting to go for a sail.....



 January 2 - grapes growing on our grape vines. We have had to net them to keep the birds out and my husband has sprayed them as we can see the first signs of mold. Our two vines are loaded - I hope we get to harvest at least some of them!




January 3 -  As part of a photography project for my photography group, I am trying to learn about slowing down shutter speed to create the look of water movement. It would really be better to go down to the beach early morning or late afternoon....




 January 4 - fresh baked bread in our Farmer's Market. They have opened a new store recently which is huge! We go there every Saturday. As well as fresh produce they bake bread, you can buy dairy produce, meat, small goods, frozen goods, bottled produce, dried fruits and nuts, cakes, flowers, salads, fruit and yoghurt and even have a smoothie made while you wait!



January 5 - this is Meelup beach - a popular safe swimming beach for families with children during the summer months. It is just south of Dunsborough, about an hour's drive from our home.



and catching the wave.....




Thanks for stopping by. Only a short post from me today, but I hope you have enjoyed these summer views from me in Western Australia.  Back to my paid employment tomorrow..... I know what I would rather be doing!

Have you plans for 2014? Have you ever done or thought of doing a 365-photo per day-project? And if so, how did you go? 
You can follow my project and see more pics by going to my Flickr page here - Jill's 365 Project on Flickr

Have a great week. I look forward to hearing from you. 

I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Wednesday Around the World, What's It Wednesday, Travel Photo Thursday, and Oh the Places I've Been. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Wednesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been




35 comments:

  1. I'm not into New Years resolutions either, Jill. For me it's either make a change now and today, or don't, right? You guys have a vineyard? That is so cool. I grew up in the California Central Valley so they were a big part of the visual view back then. Best of luck on your 365 project. That will take some fortitude but you can do it! Love all of the pictures as always and the ocean waves was my favorite. Though I wouldn't mind having some of that fresh baked bread! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MIke, no not a vineyard, just a couple of grape vines which came from a cutting from my mum and dad's place years ago. Our family has been growing grapes and making jam for over 60 years!

      Delete
  2. Happy summer, and New Year blessings from Southeast Texas. We are in the cold season here, although our winters aren't harsh at all.

    I found you over at Mary's Little Red House, where we are neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill, love your photos but the best is the photo of the Grapes on the vine. I've always wanted to grow grapes but it is tough in our climate. Although I hear that there are new varieties that can stand growing here in western Canada. Will have to try growing some one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to hear form you Horst - it has been a while, and I had been wondering how things were going with you. I hope you are staying warm in that wild winter you guys are having in the USA and Canada.

      Delete
  4. The waves are magical. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill beautiful captures or as Vincent Van Gogh would have phrased it " A symphony in blue"
    I am wondering how you managed to use your slow shutter in the day-time without over exposing the capture. I've used it in low light situations or very early morning to achieve that lovely soft milky effect on water but doing the same in the middle of the day leaves me with a washed-out over exposed pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the trick is a neutral density filter. The new ones are different levels in one filter, so you can just turn the ring to get different densities. I am still playing around with it and still have a LOT to learn!

      Delete
  6. I love your photos and the water definitely looks like it's moving. Rae xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, your lovely beach photos have me longing for summer now.. The bread and bakery sound yummy..Good luck on your 365 project.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see sun and water as we hunker down under yet another snow storm. A photo a day would be too much for me, but I can see how it would encourage one to take better photos.
    Those loaves of bread look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photos of the waves. It's always fun to have a project. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photographs of he waves are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. Visiting from Our World Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely summer shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those breaking waves!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very much enjoyed your photos of summer, thank you! A photo a day sounds like a great idea for a 2014 project, and you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi friend, and I know one thing that 2014 shall bring...more of sharing life from all of our blogging friends ;) I usually do not pay much attention to the New Year and yes they go by way too fast. I am glad this past year is over, it was not a pretty one for me, in fact it was absolutely daunting, and horrible and awful and yet I rose above it and here we are, so much better. Very thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and do you know Mary, it is amazing what comfort can be gained from blogging friends across the world. I know I have. Looking forward to another year of blogging friendships.

      Delete
  15. Love those grapes and their green seems to have spilled into the photo below it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos, especially the ones of the ocean. I wish I were there, I can feel the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing your beauty all the way on the other side of the world : ). How perfect. I hope your summer is filled with lots of wonder. Thank you for being one of our favorite entries every week over at Communal Global. We appreciate you! Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your shots are gorgeous! I love the ocean. I am also embarking on my first 365. I have a simple link up tab for other 365'ers so we can encourage one another. Feel free to pop over. http://sarahcarlettiphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sarah - great to hear from someone else embarking on a 365 project - early days I know - but we need all the support we can get!

      Delete
  19. Wow, pretty. I especially love pictures of water.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful dream of summer... -

    ReplyDelete
  21. A nice start to your 365 project! I have never participated. Your water shots are good! Those grapes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am yet to make it down south this year Jill. You fabulous photos inspire me to make sure I do so...you know how hard it is sometimes especially when it's on your doorstep! Good luck with your 365 day project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of 365 photos, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them all Jill. Your photography always uplifts me, and spurs me on to do better with my own, but mostly I just enjoy the feast as each photo almost lures me right into it until I can smell it, taste it and feel it. The bread at the farmer's market for instance did just that, so too the grapes on the vine. Awesome pics ... keep trucking :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Jan 3 photo is awesome! All the best with your Project 365. I am going to start smaller... with a Project 52. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I very much like your idea of a photo a day. I could see doing such a project next year. And it will be interesting to compare the difference in your photography skills from year to year.
    Lucky you with grapes growing in your garden. The only thing we have growing is snow drifts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I' love that idea of a photo a day. . .especially that teaser sample you provided us. I just joined Instagram and am challenging myself to try and post something there regularly 'of interest' enough to make my few followers (so far!) not feel they've wasted their time. It has been pouring down rain from heavy gray skies over the Seattle area for days now. . .the thought of warm sunny summer days is almost too much to bear! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like fun, but some work posting on your site everyday, summer is gorgeous there along the beach and playing with shutter is a lot of fun with water related subjects, love your ocean pics Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want to walk out onto Meelup beach. Your grapes look so good they could be artificial :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.