Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 12 August 2013

Take me under the sea - world's largest aquarium, Singapore

Today is cold and windy outside far removed from the warm sultry humid conditions of our recent trip to Singapore. So rather than show you pictures from around my cold wintry Western Australia, I decided to warm up by taking you back for a visit to another of our favourite Singapore attractions.  If you missed my last two posts about Singapore, please scroll down to the bottom to find the links.


The S.E.A Aquarium at Sentosa Island, opened in November 2012, is the world's largest acquarium, home to over 1000,000 marine animals.  But first we have to get there. 

There are several options, but we decided to take the Cable Car from Mount Faber (a taxi from your hotel might be the easiest option to get to Mount Faber). The cable car deposits you in the heart of Sentosa, and gives you spectacular views of Singapore and an overall view of what is install for you at Sentosa.  There is so much to see and do at Sentosa you could easily spend several days here - or stay in one of the hotels on Sentosa and be only a short stroll or bus or tram or monorail ride away from the many attractions.



But one attraction you must visit is the S.E.A. Aquarium -  home to 100,000 marine animals of over 800 species in 45 million litres of water. Comprising 10 different zones with 49 habitats, the aquarium takes you on an underwater voyage beginning in Southeast Asia,  through the Arabian Gulf and the Open Ocean. 
 But first up we went through the Maritime Museum where you can learn about the history of sea exploration and trade in Asia.


The entrance to the Aquarium is through a dome tunnel - we chose to go on a week day to try and avoid some of the crowds, but found out later it was a pupil free day in Singapore so there were lots of people! I loved the huge central round tank you can see in the second picture here.


 The various exhibits were amazing!  There is even a shipwreck and a dolphin tank !I And I couldn't help wonder what it was like for a dolphin living in a tank, even though he had some mates to play with. He kept zooming around and coming up to the glass to look at us. Were "we" a curiosity?


I was fascinated by this exhibit showing below and above the water - it represents the Sundarbans Mangrove, home to a myriad of endangered plants and animals found along the coast of the Bay of Bengal.


You wouldn't want to get tangled up with this elegant but stingy creature - the Japanese Sea Nettle.


S.E.A. Aquarium Senior Curator Grant Willis said: “S.E.A. Aquarium offers not only a stunning display of habitats, but also education and conservation programmes in which families and guests can participate.Younger guests will be thrilled to know that we have specially designed exhibits such as the Discovery Touch Pool, the Lens Aquarium and Floor Aquarium, to provide them up close
encounters with our marine residents.”
 Our grandsons were certainly enthralled with the underwater world only inches from them - 


 The centerpiece of the Aquarium is the Open Ocean Gallery seen through the world’s largest viewing panel - 36 metres wide by 8.3 metres tall. (how much water pressure must be pushing against that panel !)  The viewing area is tiered and there was soft "underwater" music playing in the background - you could just sit here being mesmerised by the amazing under water world. I can see now why my husband and son love scuba diving.(but I am not sure I am ready to take it up - too many "bities" for me!)

This manta ray was gliding up and down, turning over and over in a bubble stream. I must say I did feel a little sorry for him trapped in this aquarium, even though the aquarium is huge. He reminded me a bit of a big cat prowling back and forth in front of a wire fence at a zoo. 


If you are going to Singapore I encourage you to add Sentosa's Aquarium to your "must do" list, but plan to go to Sentosa for the whole day and make sure you allow a few hours to enjoy the Aquarium properly.  Of course, on the way out, you can always buy a souvenir of your visit. 



Afterwards you might like to relax on Siloso Beach, participate in some Fish Reflexology , snorkel with the fish, or enjoy the Adventure Cove Waterpark or Universal Studios (but Universal would take another whole day!) - just a few of the activities on offer at Sentosa. Don't worry there are lots of food outlets to keep your energy levels up! 



To find out more, please go to - SEA Aquarium and Sentosa

Thankyou for stopping by to visit - I hope you have enjoyed this little look under the sea. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a wonderful week.

 I am linking up to Mosaic Monday, Travel Photos Monday, Our World Tuesday, Tuesday Around the World, Travel Photo Thursday, Oh the Places I've Been, and the "What's It Wednesday" party going on over at "Ivy and Elephants". Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!

Mosaic Monday
Travel Photo Mondays
Our World Tuesday
Tuesday Around the World  
What's It Wednesday
Travel Photo Thursday
 Oh The Places I've Been


42 comments:

  1. A magnificent aquarium, thanks for sharing your photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I love the dome tunnel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous place! We have an aquarium in Vancouver but it's nothing compared to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, mesmerizing for sure place. I really enjoy aquariums, but there are none even close to this one to us. I am thinking the largest one to us would be 7 hours away in Atlanta. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful journey. Your images of the different tanks bring them right to our own window view and you did an outstanding job with how clear they all are! I enjoyed seeing your sweet boys too. Have a great week Jill~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mary. Our grandkids really did enjoy the aquarium, particularly our youngest nearly 5 year old.

      Delete
  5. My goodness I didn't realise it was so amazing :) To be able to go with young children, as wel,l really makes us see things with new eyes, I think too :) I bet your grandsons enjoyed it. Your pics as ever made me feel as if I was right in the room with you. Thanks for another fantastic trip to a faraway place, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes going with our grandsons made it extra special - especially seeing their faces in awe of what they were seeing. Both their Dad and their Pop scuba dive, so they enjoyed showing the boys the underwater wonders.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a great tour! the pictures looks amazing...
    thanks for sharing your experience with us through this wonderful post..
    Hi Jill ! you can get my new update and take enjoy right now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that is a pretty spectacular place to visit, its huge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat aquarium, it does look huge! So many beautiful sea creatures to see, the children must love it there. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We went to Sentosa and did the cable rides, didn't get to the aquarium though, begs another trip I think. Love your beautiful photos and story xxx Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Rae. The aquarium is very new. Sorry I haven't commented over at your blog. I am still having trouble deciding about Google + !

      Delete
  10. Your Japanese nettle photo is stunning! What a cool (and educational) place to visit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amy. I thought the Japanese nettle was cool too. Sorry I haven't commented on your blog - I couldn't work out how to get to it! So thanks for stopping by mine.

      Delete
  11. Great photography of a special place ~ thanks, carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only visited Singapore as a departure point from a cruise. The aquarium looks marvelous as do your photos. I know what I'm doing on my next visit to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photo of the dangerous sea nettles. I love Singapore. Would like to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable in the crowded dome tunnel, but what an amazing display of marine animals! Fantastic aquarium. I'd enjoy riding the monorail, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love sea creatures of all kinds. Thanks for sharing your beautiful aquarium photos. Visiting from Mosaic Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have taken photos of aquariums before and failed miserably but you seemed to have conquered the technique - they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHat an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting, but I think that concentrated urbanization breeds a false comcept of nature. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Gary, I tend to agree with you in a way. I felt particularly sorry for the dolphins and the manta ray. But it was still a wonderful place to go with the grandkids. They really enjoyed it. Particulary our yongest.

      Delete
  19. Wow, what the amazing the post! the pictures looking definitely wonderful. such a great place to visit. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing place Jill. .... beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pictures are so enticing I would love to see those beautiful fish tanks, what a wonderful vaca place for children and adults alike...I loved reading your discription of it all, you could be a tour guide, nothing better then someone telling you what is like then someone who has already been there...thanks for the little escape...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Jill. I love a good aquarium, and your photos are fantastic! I bet your grandchildren loved it. I'm inspired to visit Singapore through your travels, somewhere that I haven't really been interested in before. Thanks! Visiting via #TPThursday

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was in Singapore just a few weeks before this opened. Too bad I missed it since you make it sound and look so fabulous. I guess this gives me another reason to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beyond spectacular! Your post made me feel alive and buffeted by the color and action. A definite must see destination should we get near Singapore again. And thanks for stopping by our blog today as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jill, these aquarium is amazing and your photos are phenomenal!
    I have heard about this museum but it's the first time I've seen it in such details. I'm not into aquariums but I think I'd like to check out this one. I can't believe how much species of marine life there is and the design of the aquarium is incredible. I love the photo of your grandson look up the display and seems in so much awe. It must be great being a kid in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a spectacular place! Singapore sure know how to impress. One of my fondest memories from Singapore was spending the day at Sentosa Island. We love aquariums and this one is a winner. Beautiful photos but I really love the Japanese Sea Nettle collage. Your Singapore posts have made me long to return.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice shots. Reminds me of the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nancy - Travel Photo Thursday17 August 2013 at 08:10

    Hi Jill...Thanks for contributing again this week. I love taking shots through glass, or with reflections...always a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like such a great place to visit with kids, especially love the sound of the Ship wreck display. I think it would be a place that our boys would want to return to again and again..incredible how many animals are in one place!
    Love the pic of your Grandson looking up with his hands on the display....he has the look of awe on him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandson certainly was in awe - he absolutely loved it. I am sure your boys would too.

      Delete
  30. thank you dear wonderful readers. I am glad you are enjoying my continuing tour of Singapore. It really is a vibrant city with lots to see and do and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Singapore is already high on my list of places to visit and your posts are encouraging me even more Jill. I thought the aquarium in Bangkok was impressive but this one is fantastic! It is so good to be back commenting on your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have you back too Linda. I look forward to visiting you.

      Delete
  32. I'm a sucker for world exclusives - and the biggest ANYTHING in the world!!! Quite apart from that, the aquarium looks amazing - but maybe that's just your pix!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.