Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 25 March 2013

On the waterfront, Bunbury, Western Australia

On Friday I went down to Koombana Bay in my lunch hour. It was lovely to get away from the office and go for a walk on the beach with my camera.


 The water was at it's sparkling best, and I wished I could have stayed and enjoyed it longer. In these pics below you can see some of what I saw, clockwise from top left -
A man rowing out to his yacht (lucky him!), a lady with her fishing rod encouraging her dog to have a swim (her dog seemed to be enjoying it), this person was snorkeling along the edge towing a container (he was wearing ear muffs, who knows what he was doing!), moored yachts looking over waterfront restaurants and apartments (beckoning their owners to come and play), the sailing regatta control box (empty today, waiting for the weekend regatta), people at the beach side restaurant (I wonder what they had for lunch), some men measuring something at the beach volley ball ground (measuring what?), a man swimming laps (something I should do), I saved this Dutch visitor from poisoning himself with the huge Nor-West Blowie he had just hooked (lucky I was there when he asked for help, and that I could recognize it! - I must have learnt something along the way), and in the middle a couple enjoying the solitude and sun (hope they eventually remembered the slip, slop, slap, wrap!). 


and a man walking and the seagulls just sitting (perhaps the man was enjoying the beach in his lunch hour too)


At Koombana Bay you can visit the Dolphin Centre or go on a dolphin cruise or be at the beach when the dolphins come in close. Sometimes when we go out in our boat the dolphins swim up around us. So beautiful.


Adjacent to Koombana Bay is the Inner and Outer Harbours. Here are some boats at the marina at the Outer Harbour, dreaming of sailing away some where. You see all sorts of craft from old wooden boats to sleek new cruisers. You can see some of the port facilities in the background of these image. 


Also at the Outer Harbour you can see this three tonne crane that sits at the start of the old timber jetty. It was built in 1911 by Sir William Arrol who designed and constructed amongst other bridges the Tower Bridge in London and the gantry which housed the Titanic during construction. I love photographing these old coggs and wheels.



Sadly the old timber jetty is being dismantled as it has fallen into disrepair and was breaking up despite years of intensive fund raising and lobbying. When Bunbury was first settled goods and passengers had to be transferred between ships and the shore in boats. In 1864 a jetty was built out into the bay and was extended nine times due to silting.  By 1957 it was 1,677 metres in length. As the port became busier and more modern methods were used to load and unload vessels the harbour developed away from the jetty, which ceased to be used commercially in 1982.   


 How about a coffee or lunch at the waterfront cafe



A view over the Outer Harbour from Marlsden Hill.  You can see the old timber jetty to the right, and the land-backed wharf on the left. 



Bunbury is certainly a beautiful place to live, and proudly calls itself the "city of three waters" as it is surrounded on three sides by the Indian Ocean, Koombana Bay and the Leschenault Inlet. To learn more - please click on the link here - Visit Bunbury

Also click here to see more info about Bunbury from travel writer Jo Castro over at Zia-a-zag, and check out her numerous posts about Bunbury - a great read -  Interesting facts about Bunbury

I don't have far to go to enjoy the water during my lunch time. I don't do it often enough. What do you do in your lunch hour? 

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful week.
I am linking up with Mosaic Monday and Our World Tuesday and Travel Photo Thursday.  Please click on the links to see the work of other photographers around the world. 

Want to see some more of Bunbury? You might also like - 

A walk around Bunbury's history
Cappaccino at the Grand
 Heritage architect in Bunbury
Bunbury - city surrounded by water 


36 comments:

  1. I scrolled through those blue skies and water twice just so I could really enjoy them. There's also a free table at the Waterfront Cafe where I'd love to sit and watch the activities going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful that lunch hour must have been. I'd love to have joined you - beach-walking and people-watching are two of my favourite activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'm usually at the nearest bakery in my lunch hour!! Well ... as often as possible, anyway!! At least you've got a killer place to go during your lunch break - although with views like that on the waterfront, I'd be ringing in sick for the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting post, Jill and really gave me a feel for Bunbury life along the beachfront. Your facts are spot on, and I love the way you drip feed them into the story along with, photos taken from engaging perspectives. Thank you so much for linking to me at ZigaZag. I really do appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo. I am always happy to promote your fabulous WA travel & writing blog when I can. x

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post and great photography ~ everyone looking very inviting ~ Enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photo's. I love them all and they make me want summer even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, thanks for taking me along on your walk at the beach and around the waterfront. You do live and work in a beautiful area! I would love to see the dolphins up close, they are so cute! Wonderful photos! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the closeup and then faraway aspect. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great series of photos from a very interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can picture myself lost in the beauty of these sceneries. I wish my beach looked like yours now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a joy to be able to enjoy a walk along the sea front during your lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky you are to live near the shore and to have the right weather to go and enjoy it.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awe to have such a lovely venue to be able t lunch out at...the images look so inviting and so beautiful. They speak to me. Thank you always for your kindness, I so appreciate it~

    ReplyDelete
  14. That beach looks great. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful lunch hour that must have been! Gorgeous place.

    Happy Tuesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shame about the old jetty, what a fab 'prop' for great images at different times of the day..Bunbury's looking good Jill, haven't been down for a while. In answer to your question a few posts back, yes I almost always take two cameras with me, a Lumix for quick shots and my Pentax for 'arty' images :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jill,

    In answer to your question regarding what lens I used for the nuthatch shots; Canon EF-S 55-250mm zoom. 1:4-5:6 IS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots. Looks similar to where I live except I am across the world...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing place to spend a lunch hour. (On the other hand, it must have been a little bit difficult to go back to work!). That tourist with the blowfish was very lucky you were there! All your pictures are wonderful. It's my kind of place! We love the water.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful place to live! I think I could spend the entire day at that waterfront café watching life pass by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As usual, beautiful photos. And what a lovely place you are in to be able to take lunch breaks at the beach! Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure you've made a few people here quite jealous with these photos. They're so beautiful.
    It's great that the beach is so close by and that you can escape during lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an awesome way to spend a lunch hour. I usually eat my sandwich in front of the computer but do try to have a quiet river walk many mornings a week. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Jill, I wish I can leave my office during lunch hour and step into a divine beach like that (instead of stepping into a sea of tourists.) Your beach photo is so beautiful and calming. I like yours shots of the old wheels and cogs. You made the rather boring mechanisms look very dramatic and nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love beaches and in particular boat marinas. Looking at the boats and dreaming about the lives of the people on board is tantalizing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful way to spend your lunch hour! Banbury looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The water photos are lovely. I can't get enough of the water or the ocean. I hope you had a wonderful Easter!
    Blessings,
    Gayle from Behind the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you lovely readers. I am glad you have enjoyed strolling along my piece of beachfront.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You take such amazing photos. Sure makes me wish I could travel to that beach! I never want to leave when I'm walking by the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful beach. I love to beach walk too, my beach is Lake Michigan one of the Great Lakes in the States. Fresh water, we like to say no salt, no sharks! Your pictures are wonderful. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful place and beautiful pictures!! Our beaches are still just a bit chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. All the photographs are fabulous . I must say you know very well how to keep your readers hold back. I really appreciate your effort.Regards Ella

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.