Welcome to Life Images by Jill

Welcome to Life Images by Jill.........Stepping into the light and bringing together the images and stories of our world. I am a photographer, writer and multi-media artist.
Focussing mainly on Western Australia and Australia, I am seeking to preserve images and memories of the beautiful world in which we live and the people in it.

Welcome!

Welcome!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO MY RED BUBBLE STORE.

Monday 4 December 2017

December randomness

It's December and the summer heat has struck and it's beginning to look a little bit like Christmas is just around the corner.  How is your December going?  Today I am going to share a little December randomness from our corner of the world.

Below is the Candlestick Banksia (or slender banksia) - Banksia attenuata - which flowers from October to February in the south west of Western Australia. I always think the bright yellow candlestick shape flowers which grow up to 20-3-cm tall and 5cm across, are very appropriate for this time of year around Christmas. 
I blogged more about banksias here - Celebration of the Australian Banksias






At my brother-in-law and nephew's farm in the wheatbelt the harvest is well under way. They will be hoping to be finished by Christmas.


A couple of weeks ago I went to the launch of a local photo book - Loving Where We Live - Glimpses of Bunbury through the eyes of the locals.  I was very proud to have some of my photos published in this book. You can see me in the bottom photo (me on the left) with my friend Catherine Curnow who put together the book, and above that one of my photos of Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company. Many local photographers contributed to the book, which is a fabulous promotion for our town. The profits from the book are going to a local girl who became a quadriplegic in an accident a few years ago. 

More details and to purchase the book, please click here - Photo Book of Bunbury


Last week I started getting together the ingredients for my Christmas cooking. The actual baking I think will be next week's job.


Christmas events and end of year get-togethers with friends and the various groups I belong to have started, and I need to keep a track of my diary! Today I put aside time to put up our Christmas tree. 


Also over the last few days I have made a little gift for my writing group members. This is just a little notebook put together from craft paper and photocopy paper and sewed together on my sewing machine. You can use plain or patterned paper for the cover and embellish it as little or as much as you wish. I made mine fairly plain as they were going to both men and women.


 Very simple - First, just cut A4 photocopy paper in half. I used about 10 sheets for each book.  Cut craft card in half to make the cover. Mine was 30 cms wide, cut in half to make 15cms. Then I made a crease in the middle of the photocopy pages, and sewed the pages together into the middle of the cover. Fold the cover in half and press down the spine - a craft paper creaser is ideal for this or use a ruler. If the craft paper cover is wider than the photocopy paper pages, which mine was, fold over the edge of the cover to the inside on both sides of the booklet. Embellish the cover as you wish.

 As I made these booklets for my writer's group I included this little tip from Roald Dahl inside the cover - 


A story idea is liable to come flitting into the mind at any moment of the day, and if I don’t make a note of it at once, right then and there, it will be gone forever. So I must find a pencil, a pen, a crayon, a lipstick, anything that will write, and scribble a few words that will later on remind me of the idea. Then, as soon as I get the chance, I go straight to my hut and write the idea down in an old red-coloured school exercise book.”


 And I've also been making paper flowers - I shared how to make them last year - How to make a simple paper flower



 Last weekend we had a little reminder that summer also brings bushfire season. Luckily for the homes near this particular fire, which we could see the smoke from our house, the water bombers came in quickly and the fire was put out in a few hours.  I hope the terrible Californian fires are put out soon.


Australian Christmas Tree

And of course we can't forget the Australian Christmas tree - Nuytsia floribunda-  in all its glory!

 How is your December looking? Thank you so much for stopping by. I value your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return. Have a wonderful week.  

You might also like - 
How to make a simple paper flower 
How to make a paper wreath 
December randomosity 2015 

I am linking up to the link-ups below. Please click on the links to see fabulous contributions from around the world - virtual touring at its best!
Life in Reflection

Hello there! I love reading your comments. Just click down here to comment too! 

15 comments:

  1. I don't often comment but do love reading your blog. We have just moved from the farm into the town, missing the space and garden. Well done on the book. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting Penny. My sister moved from her farm to town a couple of years ago and I know she can relate to the lack of space too. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Jill, I feel after reading this post that we've just sat down together and chatted over a cup of coffee. What a wonderful update and love the booklets you made. . .how do you find time to do all that you do???? Merry Christmas wishes from Greece ~ Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the great things about blogging I think, is making connections with people across the globe, like you for instance, and to be able to relate despite the distance and realise we are very much the same. Happy Christmas in Greece Jackie.

      Delete
  3. You are so talented Jill. Little booklets, paper flowers, photography and a vast knowledge of the flora in WA. Wow! I so love the candlestick banksias and they do seem like a Christmas flower - so too the vivid Christmas tree - almost pure gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love seeing these candlestick banksias and Christmas tree this time of year. The yellow is so "Australian".

      Delete
  4. Hello, the blossoms and tree are interesting. Kind of like our bottlebrush tree? I do not do much baking for Christmas. Your tree and lights look pretty. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The candlestick Banksia is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with All Seasons. This is one of the few (at least the yellow one) I have never seen in Californis.
    Hope the fires stay far away from where you live. Unfortunately we still deal with the fires - now in Southern California. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those paper flowers are stunning - how lovely!
    I've enjoyed all of your photos. It's 22 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning, so I do envy you the warm weather.
    Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/12/at-dusk.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always amazed at how much you are able to put into a full day's time. I don't know what happens with my days...I have grand intentions and than by the days ending...I have failed again. One thing is that I live in an area that does not offer the wonderful possibilities that you have and so I pretty much stay on my own and seek out nature as it is so close by. I want to do some creative things this Winter and if and when we get the snow...that is when I shall do just that...I am thinking LOL Your flowers, your gifts for your reading group, that beautiful photo of you and your friend, all of it, is just wonderful. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun crafts, but all your images make me want to jump on a plane and head south. I am so cold. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The candlestick tree reminds me of pinecones on a certain kind of pine tree, which name I can't recall. Not as yellow of course. Merry Christmas to you!
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  10. The candlestick banksia is so aptly named. Congratulations on placement of your photos in the book! Our son arrived today for Christmas, so our little family of four is now complete for the holidays. Tomorrow we will head to the woods to pick out our Christmas tree, and put the finishing touches on the cookies that are destined for friends. I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog. Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time to comment. I read and very much appreciate every comment and love hearing from you. I will try to visit your blogs in return.